“Timewarp in the food department”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #30 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Guildford
“Timewarp in the food department”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Have just spent the weekend here for a college re-union. I am rarely driven to write reviews but seriously, you would have to go back 50 years to find food this bad in England. I am at a bit of a loss how to describe the awfulness of it. Thick gloopy sauces, charred, overcooked meat with no seasoning or perceptible flavour, covered in gelatinous Bisto-style gravy masquerading as a "red wine sauce". I felt sorry for the wedding party next door, if their menu was anything like as shocking as ours, then the happy couple really will have had a reception to remember!.
On the plus side, the rooms were comfortable & clean, the staff were friendly & helpful, so some good points.
Further criticisms include a choice in the bars of lager or Boddingtons, if you can call that beer! It also seems extraordinary that at checkout time on a Sunday, there are only two staff manning reception. My bill was wrong - I had been charged for everything in the minibar. Apparently it is pressure sensitive and moving anything in it adds it to your bill immediately. Strangely the reception staff are unaware that you need a code number to get out of the carpark, with the result that everyone queued to get out while someone went back to find out the exit code!!
If you need to stay in the Midlands or have a yearning to play golf, no problem, but stop off at Waitrose at the M40 services and buy some rations...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank DrWolff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Turkish first
barbados
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My daughter and I enjoyed our 5 night stay as we were in birmingham for the 4 days of crufts dog show.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Penarth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Me and my Fiance have stayed here a few times and have always been very happy! The beds are so comfy, The staff are really friendly!
My favourite bit is the spa facilities! Lovely pool, steam room, jacuzzi and sauna!

Breakfast in bed was equally lovely!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel with the family during the Easter weekend, having been here once during a business trip 12 months ago. During the first time that I had booked a superior room - facing the golf course. The superior room was quiet and comfortable. However, this time round I took the family and had booked the standard room (via Marriotts special promotion) and I found the rooms not up to par.

I have to say, all the double beds in the standard rooms were too soft - to the extent that my wife and I did not sleep well at all throughout my stay at this hotel. Even the tea beaverage were reduced. There was only one packet of biscuit to share between me and my wife. Surely the cleaning maid knows there were two occupant in the room. No hot chocolates were supplied. Perhaps it was due to the standard rooms booked. Next time, it may be better to book a superior room which should have a more firmer and comfortable bed.

All the booked rooms included full buffet English Breakfast. The selections of cold and hot food was okay but the choices of food were less than I have experianced in the other Marriotts hotels and Crowne Plaza hotels that I stayed in. Also there were insufficient staff to replenish the food when it ran out...this applied to both the hot and cold food counter, including the bread and pastries sections. Staff were not as attentive and I noticed that many did not smile. Perhaps it wqas due to there been a high number of guests staying at the hotel that Easter weekend.

We did use the Cedarwood Spa service and booked a back and face massage. The treatment was most relaxing. You do need to book well in advance as the appointments do get filled up quickly. The children used the fitness studio and swimming pool and enjoyed themselves.

Although the hotel stated that it was refurbished in 2008, I found the rooms (especially the bed) and public areas quite dull and in need of another 'face lift/replacement'.

Overall, I did not have a great time at the Forest of Arden Hotel this time round as I ended up with a backache and lack of sleep.

Room Tip: Try to book a Superior room which faces the golf course.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank UK_Badger88
Surrey, England
Reviewed 18 April 2012 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel and was made to feel at ease by reception staff. However we were interested to hear the hotel was not full for half term. We asked how much to add a second room for the children and even though the hotel was not full we were quoted full price. This surprised us as surely any money is better than none. The rooms were lovely , we asked for top floor. Previous comments about how far away the rooms were from the reception were correct but we found several routes to and from our rooms it was a fun exercise for the kids.Pool was lovely and gym great but the signs could be better as I got lost in the maze around the leisure area. Breakfast was fine , not the best selection but good enough. We ate in the golf bar one night, meals were fantastic and the staff really friendly and went out of their way to help. I will not hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends.

Stayed April 2012
Sedbergh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012 via mobile

We booked this at the last minute over the phone as the previous hotel we had booked was awful. We received a great welcome from staff and the room was lovely. All mod cons and great room service as well. A refreshing swim in the morning followed by a hearty breakfast. To be highly recommended :)

Stayed April 2012
Shanghai
Reviewed 14 April 2012

A very nice setting in green English countryside, good communication links plus golf and leisure activities.
Hotel is well run and overall very nice, the staff are all professional and everything you would expect from Marriott.
My stay was easy for four days and overall I would say I enjoyed it. The rooms are ok but I found the access tot he room awkward with so many fire doors but its a minor thing.
Gym was OK, Pool nice. Would I stay again yes but its not unique.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 117 in Birmingham
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!