“Relaxing Weekend Break”

Ranked #30 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Essex, UK
“Relaxing Weekend Break”
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Stayed here over the weekend with 3 girl friends. Rooms were very clean, although a bit on the small side, but beds very comfy, decor ok. Staff were all very friendly and helpful, breakfast buffet had a good selection.Hotel is in a lovely setting, went for a walk around the grounds, loads of deer on the golf course (which found out later we shouldn't have been walking near oops!) Went into Kenilworth which is very nice, had look at the castle and went into Queen & Castle pub which we all really liked. Also went to dinner at The Bulls Head not far from the hotel and had very good meal. We used Tesco vouchers to subsidise cost of the hotel rooms. Walls dividing the rooms seem to be a bit thin, which was quite noticeable at night, but am glad the lady next door had a good night! Had a lovely weekend, can imagine it must be great for golfers as course and facilities looked really good.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Turkish first
Cork
Reviewed 20 November 2012

If you are looking for a nice relaxing weekend away from all the hustle and bustle this hotel is ideal, staff very friendly and helpful, leisure and spa facilities are great and restaurant has good variety.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Peak District National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Superb setting, Fantastic friendly staff, lovely bedroom, fabulous lesiure facilites and great food. You just cannot ask for any more! The fact that we paid for our break with Tesco clubcard vouchers was just "icing on the cake"

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw ere of an excellent standard. Some are a fair walk from reception so thosw with...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Recently stayed at the Marriot for a 50th Birthday treat. The hotel was lovely,cosy and nicely decorated. Room was large, clean and comfortable with the usual touches such as complimentory tea,coffee and biscuits. No fridge which was disappointing. We had a superb meal in the restaurant and although we are both vegetarian we had some nice options. Service was professional and quick. Highlight for me was a spa treatment by Jess , she was very good and as a salon owner myself I know a good treatment. Spa was very nice and relaxing , clean and offered the normal range of treatments. The hotel is a golf lovers paradise so not many things to do outside the hotel. Room service was prompt and good value. Only gripe was being messed around a bit reception regarding early check in and times room was available but they redeemed themselves after finding my lost reading glasses in the room and posting back to me . So all in all a great stay and great hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jules408
UK
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Had the misfortune of staying here one night last week whilst in the area for a meeting the following day in Coleshill. The hotel was very busy on arrival especially the car park, it would seem there'd been a large conference being held at the hotel on the day, although they were departing when I arrived and I managed to get a parking space.....eventually.

Check in was quick, I'd booked with a room consolidator and pre-paid for B&B, although the receptionist insisted it was room only, thankfully I had a copy of my booking showing the breakfast rate, she conceded but no apology, I also advised a colleague was arriving a little later than me and he too had the same rate, I showed her the double booking again. Despite this my colleague was argued with at reception on his arrival about the B&B option paid for.......
I asked for the WiFi code at reception and was informed there was none throughout the entire hotel including the bedrooms.......although there was a cable in the room for access to iBHAN, I was flabbergasted as I'd already sussed there was no 3g access either. The internet charge was absolutely a complete mickey take @ £6 an hour !!!!!! And that hour must be used consecutively, you can't disconnect and re-connect ! An utter disgrace and complete rip off and added insult to injury on the internet front.

I was allocated a room on the ground floor, Imagine my dismay at the rabbit warren of corridors I found en route to my room when I realised I was in the last room before the end of the building, I had numerous business bags and luggage and it took an age to get to and from the room, NO offer of help with any bags from reception ! This from a hotel charging in excess of £110 a night ! Also as a lone female guest I find this a poor policy in so many hotels these days, no thought at all.

My room was large with 2 double beds, TV, no fridge, small tea tray, cheap biscuits and tea cups..........who uses them nowadays instead of a mug ? The whole room, fixtures & fittings wise was very dated & long overdue a refurb to warrant the charge for the room.

The bathroom was the biggest disappointment it was very dirty and not cleaned well at all. The bath was filthy with soap scum and body fats that hadn't been cleaned properly for some time or at least not with a very good cleaning agent. The shower head was covered in black slime and some actually came out whilst I was showering.......eurghhh ! The taps were dirty on both the bath and the sink and no attention to cleanliness had been taken with the surrounds of the taps, they were awful. Several pubic hairs on the floor too.............
The shower itself was the worst I've encountered for power, there was none ! You almost had to run around to get wet ! Given it was ground floor this made no sense other than it was an old fashioned shower head.

I headed to the bar to meet my colleague and booked a table in the restaurant. Service was good in the bar although it wasn't very busy and I did find it very annoying to be asked multiple times by the waitresses whether I wanted another drink when I still had drink in my glass & then made to feel bad for not ordering another, perhaps they were on commission ? !

We were shown to our table at the allotted time, the restaurant was fairly busy but there seemed enough staff and a Maitre D. I'm afraid I wasn't inspired by the menu, neither starters or mains seemed interesting and I found the choice very poor, my colleague felt the same too. We eventually decided and I opted for Sirloin as my main, however I was informed on trying to order that they'd sold out of Sirloin ?!!! How ridiculous that they should run out of a menu staple, perhaps they had a run on Sirloin due to the uninspiring rest of the menu. I had to opt for the Rib Eye instead. We ordered wine and a bottle of water however we had to remind 3 times for the water to be brought. My soup arrived and I found no spoons on the table or any other table, we tried for an age to catch someone's eye even reverting to waving our arms as my soup was getting cold. In the end I had to walk the length of restaurant and interrupt the Maitre D and 2 waiters to request a spoon. They apologised profusely and also offered a free drink later on........

The food was "ok" nothing to right home about but acceptable, however I did find it expensive at £100+ for 2 people for 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 glasses of wine, water and 1 Vodka & mixer. Captive audience syndrome springs to mind given the hotels location.

Slept okay other than the usual inconsiderate guests who think it's acceptable to slam doors gone 1am in the morning. Headed back to the restaurant for breakfast, perfectly fine although I can't comment on the cooked items as I stuck with cereal & toast.

Collected my bags & thankfully realised the fire exit door was open allowing me to avoid the ten mile walk back to reception and instead walked straight in from the front of the hotel saving the hassle with the bags issue again. Check out was swift and polite, was never asked if I'd enjoyed my stay but given this is no more than an expensive conference hotel the guest is most certainly not king.

I wouldn't recommend the Forest of Arden, not sure if its yet another franchise but it certainly does a disservice to the Marriott name. Wouldn't stay again when in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Miss_Chief1
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Stayed here as a part of a company National day, The rooms were very clean
the restaurant had a excellent range of foods to suit all taste buds. The facilities were brilliant.
The staff were very polite & helpful, can't fault this place at all.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jeddati
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Welcoming arrival to this Country Club. Staff warm, very efficient check-in, receive an apology for no Executive Lounge but receive a bottle of wine in compensation (Gold Elite Status).

Room is located on the first floor and well appointed.

I order room service which is fast, roasting hot and very tasty!

Check-out was as efficient as check-in.

Highly recommend staying here if in the area and will definately stay again!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
New Hall Hotel & Spa
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#6 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!