“Average - depends on what you want” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #33 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Boston, Massachusetts
“Average - depends on what you want”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

The hotel specializes in conferences and golf. It has welcoming staff and is well located. However it is in need of some upgrading and refurbishing. The restaurant serves a good buffet breakfast with individual egg station The evening dinner menu is limited and over priced. During my stay the fire alarm was activated three times during my three day stay, while there was a plausible reason it was annoying and created a feeling of credibility. Bedrooms had tea making facilities and a safe but WiFi connection was expensive. The air conditioning was too efficient and the hotel was basically cold and despite several requests staff seemed unable to correct the temperature. Overall an average experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PaulW939

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Played the Arden course which was immaculate and the green are very fast. Stayed overnight with a great dinner and wonderful breakfast with a egg chef to do you fresh omelettes or fried eggs.

Wonderful staff and all go out of their way to say hello.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

On arrival the hotel looked much more grand than its website images, the golf resort looked well kept and there was plenty of parking. We were greeted on arrival and taken up to The Cedarwood Spa where a lovely spa receptionist gave us a lovely warm and friendly welcome and was very informative about the structure of the day and if we wanted our afternoon tea in the spa or later at the hotel Zest cafe. The facilities in the spa were really well kept and the treatment exceeded my expectations! Full free use of all the leisure facilities such as the pool, steam room and sauna. Looking forward to our cream tea, it was a shame the football was on in Zest cafe, and many of the guests around us were golfers enjoying a beer and pub grub, this didn't distract from our delightful scones, clotted cream and jam! We even asked for strawberry jam which the waiter helpfully brought over with our large pots of tea! Back to the spa to pick up our bags and again greeted by the friendly spa receptionist and asked how our tea was!

Definitely good for a girly day on a budget

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

My Wife and I stayed here for one night before a fairly early departure from Birmingham Airport, and were suitably impressed. Obviously the main focus of the resort are its golfing clients, but we were made welcome and the leisure facilities are very good.

I am Marriott gold, so when we checked in we were given a nice welcome gift of a bottle of wine and a nice room upgrade. There is no exec lounge at the hotel, but we were given vouchers for drinks at the bar in lieu of this.

The hotel layout is quite strange, with seemingly endless corridors. It was quite a trek to the room, but this wasn't a problem. We had only been in the clean, well appointed room for a few minutes when we got another welcome gift from the management of some very ornate biscuits.

We had a swim and a sauna in the very quiet leisure club, then had a drink in the bar and a meal in the Zest restaurant - the hotel is a long way from any other eating facility so, unless you want a drive out, they have got you. The Zest restaurant offers a bar menu and I have to say, it was okay - we ate fairly early and were able to watch the end of the Ashes cricket on the big screen, as ate, which was nice.

The bedrooms and beds were up to usual Marriott standards and we had a good night's sleep. Breakfast in the morning was in the Oaks Grill, and was the usual Marriott fare - good fruit selection and a nice selection of hot food and cold cuts.

All in all, a very good hotel with friendly, helpful staff -I would have no problem going back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Topsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

What a place!

I was staying here for business but had my family as we were travelling onward on holiday. The hotel couldn't have been better! From check in, where they made my step son feel like a king as it was his 10th birthday, to the restaurant, where they dealt smoothly and easily with food requests as some of my party have very specific food allergies, they couldn't have been better.

The friendliness and pleasant attitude off ALL the staff was exceptional. I stay away a lot for business and it is very rare to find so many friendly helpful staff. It really didn't feel like a chain hotel.

The room was clean and overlooked the golf course so was lovely and quiet. The only thing I would say is that the restaurant is quite expensive but the food was freshly prepared and the choice of wines was excellent.

The location is also excellent, close to the NEC but in open countryside, well worth the extra 5 min drive.

I have recommended to my company that we hold more business events here in future as the accommodation and attitude of staff was so good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Hastings, Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Check in was a surreal nightmare. Passive aggressive non response to every question I asked, until I told him what wakeup time and newspaper I wanted. I simply wanted to check in my two rooms, unload my bags and park my car. Later I called down the operator. It rang for three minutes before someone answered. The ethernet in my room doesn't work. There is no air conditioning and while you can open the windows, they don't have screens. Perhaps the golf is good, I don't know, we didn't stay to find out. Avoid!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DowneastCornhusker
Upper Ballinderry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed here with my family for my cousins wedding this summer. the room is really nice, clean and very modern décor . the staff were very friendly, we had lunch the following day in the restaurant, which was a bit pricey , that was the hotels only fault, drink and food over priced. but over all we really enjoyed our stay , lovely gardens surround the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
#42 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,442 reviews

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!