“Top Quality Golf Break”

Ranked #30 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Chessington
“Top Quality Golf Break”
Reviewed 13 August 2008

Have just returned from a Sunday Driver golf package at the Forest of Arden. Was very impressed by the hotel which seems to have been refurbished, rooms were extremely comfortable and even had the bonus of showing Sky Sports. Service and food were excellent and although we didn't use them the leisure facilities looked excellent.
Both golf courses were in exceptional condition, the Arden course is more challenging but the Aylesford course was considerably better and more difficult than previous views had led me to believe.
I would recommend this as a venue for both golfers and non golfers. We even got thoroughly soaked on the golf course for about an hour on the Sunday!

Stayed August 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We booked this hotel primarily because of its easy access to the NEC as we were attending the Parelli Celebration on the 9th and 10th August. We stayed for two nights and took advantage of a promotional rate of £106 per night for the room including breakfast.

We had a very comfortable room – king size bed (if I had a criticism the mattress was slightly to firm for my liking) but the room was clean and tidy. Check in was handled well by the receptionist who was very friendly and we were greeted by a staff member as we arrived in the reception area.

The room was on the ground floor and I was a little concerned that this might be noisy as there were wedding receptions on both the Friday and Saturday night but there was no noise to speak of at all.

The food in the restaurant was good but I would have preferred a little more choice on the menu. We also dined in the cocktail bar and again the food was good and prepared swiftly.

One thing that I must comment on is the high levels of customer service during our stay from all staff members that we came into contact with. The service was attentive, very friendly and extremely courteous at all times. The only time we were kept waiting was in the cocktail bar, which was packed at the time and we received an immediate apology from the waitress when she finally arrived to take our order – but the wait we had experienced was minutes and not unreasonable.

We will definitely choose this hotel when we next visit the NEC.

• Liked — Customer Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2008

Stayed at the Forest of Arden Marriott in Feb I was there on business at The N.E.C which is only a 10 min drive or around £14 in a taxi. I had a friend with me she stayed in the hotel all day had breakfast in bed and used the pool etc. She had a lovely relaxing day, very quiet set in beautiful grounds. I found check in very easy, breakfast very good and the room clean. It was lovely having a double bed each, very comfortable beds.

• Liked — TWO Double Beds
  • Disliked — The Bar Area
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, England
Reviewed 25 June 2008

I stayed at the Marriott Forest of Arden on a Sunday night recently with my husband, father and mother-in-law. We booked the Golf Escape package so got 2 rounds of golf (one on each course) along with dinner and breakfast.

Overall we were very impressed with the hotel. The reception staff were friendly and efficient even though they had 3 power cuts whilst we were trying to check-in! We requested an early check-in but the hotel was busy due to a wedding so we didn't get this. No real problem though as they let us store our bags until our rooms were ready.

The rooms were nice. An ok size (some are bigger than others so you could request a larger room within the same class type) and with good facilities - safe, hairdryer, toiletries, alarm clcok etc. A bathrobe an slippers would have been nice but I imagine we could have rang housekeeping to request these if we wanted to.

My husband and father played golf on the two courses and were very impressed. The greens were immaculate and the holes were challenging. They had to play through a herd of deer on the Arden course which was interesting! The green fees for the Arden course alone were £110 per person so our rooms rates of £149 (single occupancy) and £228 (double occupancy) were a real bargain, epescially with breakfast and dinner included.

My mother-in-law and I used the pool complex and thought it was a nice touch to get towels and locker keys as we went in. The pool was ok - a little small and not really suitable for swimming lengths but nice enough. We were very disappointed though that the jacuzzi and steam room were not in use due to a chemical problem. I know these things happen but if we had planned to spend a large amount of time in the complex we would have got bored very quickly. The sauna was nice though and the changing rooms had hairdryers and showers with shampoo and conditoners. No changing cubicles though so beware if you're shy! You could always use the toilets though.

We both had facials in the spa but were a little disappointed. They could only fit us in for express ones and these were expensive for what we actually got. The spa is very nice though and feels very luxurious. We actually booked massages at a beauty salon in nearby Merdien (Blitz) just 10 minutes drive away and they were excellent. Half the price of the Marriott and far, far better.

Dinner was great - a 3 course buffet including carvery and you could go back as many times as you liked. We were absolutely stuffed by the end! Breakfast was also good with a wide choice of food and excellent service.

We found the service generally at the hotel to be excellent. Friendly and efficient staff who were happy to help. There was a wedding on but apart from some loud music from the marquee outside (not enough to annoy us) we woudn't have known it was happening.

My only fault with the hotel would be booking extras such as the golf tee times and spa treatments. The package was especially for golf but they didn't tell me when I booked the rooms that I should book the tee times as early as possible. I originally booked to stay in April and when I tried to book the tee times in Feb they had very little left. Consequently I cancelled my rooms and asked the golf staff to find the next available dates when they had the tee times I wanted before rebooking the rooms. Even booking in April for June they were very busy and I was lucky to get suitable times. I stupidly left booking the spa treatments until a couple of weeks before and they were pretty much full. The person I spoke to wasn't very apologetic either. But it did mean I found the lovely Blitz salon for our massages instead and if I went back to this hotel (which I definitely would) I would go there for any beauty treaments instead.

All in all this was a very enjoyable stay and I would go back. Everyone had a great time and had only good things to say about the trip. Just book early for golf and beauty if they are an important part of your stay.

• Liked — The setting, gof and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Having to book tee times and spa treatments so far in advance
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eep2309
London
Reviewed 29 March 2008

Stayed there on Sunday night over the Easter bank holiday week end. 2 Adults and 2 children. Booked on line a golf beak and asked for early check in....Got on site at 12.30 on Sunday afternoon having booked a tee off time at 13.48 and no Check-in available!!! Got to the cafe and ordered food...kids food got delivered but not ours....so I had to go and play my round without havind had lunch....thanks.
The golf course (Arden) was in average conditions due to he greens being treated and full of sand.
Bedroom was fine and clean with all you expect in it but very poor channel selection.
Food was fine and service attentive both for Diner and for Breakfast.
Children had fun in the pool.....so it wasn't so bad after all!!!!!! says Mum....

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oxford, UK
Reviewed 26 March 2008

Although this is a large hotel, the quality of this hotel was excellent. The quality of our king room was faultless - with all the amenities we would expect from a Marriott hotel, and all in very good condition. There are three places to eat - cafe, cocktail bar and restaurant and we had very nice meals in all.
I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a weekend break away.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
wiltshire
Reviewed 20 March 2008

We stayed here on a Sunday Night Golf Special (£99) per person for dinner, bed and breakfast and 2 rounds of golf.

We arrived on the Sunday lunchtime and there was a crowd of people checking out and the duty manager asked whether we would like to leave our bags and go and grab some lunch, whilst the queue subsided. He also asked whether he could help in any other way - which he did by changing our tee time for the afternoon so that we could complete our round before it got dark.

We left our wives to check in and played the Aylesford Course with two other golfers who were on a conference and thoroughly enjoyed the course even though the fairways were extremely wet after 24 hours of rain.

Our wives had spent the afternoon in the pool and spa and finished off with a full body massage in the beauty parlour. The room was spacious - the shower was powerful and hot - and the bed comfortable.

We took dinner in the evening and we were really pleased with the service and the quality of the food. The staff were knowledgable and helpful and made the experience a very pleasant one.

After a quick and early breakfast we had a 7:30 tee off on the Arden Championship course. Being a 2 ball with a string of 4 balls behind us, within 15 minutes we had the course to ourselves and were able to enjoy the surroundings and the wildlife without having to worry about other golfers. Being early the greenstaff were still on the course and they were also helpful and informative - especially on the back nine where you play in the deer park amongst what felt like hundreds of roe deer. Although the course was wet the greens were really quick and true and the whole experience was one to savour. I would thoroughly recommend this deal to anyone.

• Liked — Total satisfaction - good golf, good food and wives contented!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 117 in Birmingham
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!