“For the NEC, It's the place to be!”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #33 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Glasgow Scotland
“For the NEC, It's the place to be!”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Excellent big comfy friendly hotel minutes from the NEC.
Great clean rooms ( Thanks ladies) & big comfy bedrooms where everything just works perfectly.
Faultless hotel with great staff - special thanks to Nadine on reception - an excellent Ambassador for the Marriott brand.
Special thanks to little Maria who served the breakfast so well every morning with a big smile & great service.
I'll be back in September but who should I bring? My wife or my golf clubs?
Stayed Room 368 29th Jan - 7th Feb which was perfect for a longer stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Turkish first
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Check in took over 30 minutes - long queue and 2 checking in - 3 staff stood around watching.
No lift working, had to carry my cases on my own up 4 flights of stairs. Couldn't find room as its like a maze no one around to help.
Room very basic - it took over 20 minutes to fill the bath.
Water was cold.
Broadband £6.00 for an hour - terrible for a business and leisure hotel
Dinner was terrible - staff at the bar said take a seat not enough staff to serve, so come up when you need to order. Had to queue for over 10 minutes to order food - it tasted disgusting.
Breakfast the service was good and staff were friendly however the food was very basic - hardly any cereals or fruit available.
Would not stay here or at a Marriott hotel again!

2 Thank Lee H
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Lee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations from your visit. I truly appreciate the feedback you have provided.

I would like to express my sincere apologies for the lapses in service from our end. I have therefore taken this opportunity to send a separate message directly to you as I would like to better understand the opportunities we have let ourselves down on.

Kind regards,

Ankur Ahuja
Director of Rooms Operations, Forest of Arden, a Marriott Hotel and Country Club
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Our rooms were not ready on arrival in the afternoon.

We had lunch in bar of just ham sandwich with wholegrain mustard - sandwiches arrived on rock hard stale bread and no mustard. Asked for mustard and got brought mayo instead.

The whole hotel smelt very damp on all the floors - absolutely overpowering.

Asked for a taxi to be booked and they forgot.

Hotel bills were pushed under room door during night but only half under so all my personel details were on show to anyone walking past in corridor.

Hotel had charged the rooms seperately after I specifically asked for all on one bill and the other person staying was not to know how much the room was. They had a bill under there door too..

Both rooms were charged for newspapers which neither of us asked for or had.

Breakfast was adequate but only just - incorrect cutlery on table. None of milk dispensers worked because they were blocked up with crudd!

Room was adequate even though it was a premier room?

Overall not a pleasant stay and will not be going back there or recommending it.....

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alfa105
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
I would like to thank you for your feedback you have shared with my Front Office Manager upon your departure and on our Trip Advisor web page.

We take pride in our service levels and are committed to provide excellent experience to our guests, and I must apologize to you for this poor experience.

I would like to assure you that we have addressed the service issues you highlighted and have shared your feedback with our team after your departure. Our engineering team has also assured me that all heating and ventilation equipment is working well, however the wet weather over the recent weeks has not helped. Thank you again for your feedback.

I do hope that you will reconsider us for a stay in future and I would be delighted to personally oversee your stay.

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I cant thank the hotel enough for making my husbands birthday so special..
Andrew had a arranged chocolate covered strawberries with a bottle of wine on arrival.
Staff were amazing so pleasant ..fercilitys were lovely pool and changing rooms was warm and clean.
Rooms were lovely ..
And food was good price and portion
We would definitely go again and highly rate this hotel..

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Caroline,

I am so happy to hear that you and your husband were able to enjoy the special day.

I have passed your kind comments and compliments to our team and would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

united kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed here at the beginning of February whilst attending the Spring Fair at the NEC and was pleasantly surprised. Our bedroom was well presented, clean, and comfortable with free use of a safe. We ate in the bar and the food was good, plus the drinks were not overpriced in comparison to other hotels we have visited. Breakfast was good with a lot of choice. One of the nicest things was the staff, who were all helpful and polite, nothing was too much trouble. When we were leaving we found that our car battery was dead and a couple of green-keepers readily came to our aid. They were great - they brought their own car to jump start ours and politely refused to take the tip we wanted to give them! All credit to these guys and a big thank you - you really saved us a load of hassle.

Room Tip: It's a huge maze of a hotel so be prepared for a long hike to your room!
London
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I visited the Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel on business last autumn but didn't stay overnight. The hotel is in a grand setting, obviously an older property modernised although still a bit tired in parts, and there were a lot of golf-bunnies visible – I wasn’t there for that purpose though. Importantly, the wi-fi wasn’t great which is critical if you’re looking at business clientele.

The snacks provided were inventive (hot mini-pancakes with syrup, yum!) but with the exception of the fresh chunky chips, the restaurant food isn’t really up to much. Not really my choice of hotel but I can see it might be better for a leisure break for those with time to enjoy the facilities.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank I-veritas
Atul K, Front Office Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for your time to share feedback on your business visit last autumn.

I am delighted to update you that we have an upgraded internet bandwidth with complimentary internet access in all our public areas including lobby and restaurants. After this upgrade we have received positive feedback from our guests.

I would also like to sincerely thank you for your comments on the décor and quality of food. We are continually in process of updating our menu offerings and can always accommodate specific guest or group food choices.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope that you would consider us in the future.

Atul Kankrej
Front Office Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

The grounds of this hotel are really wonderful and I image a golf/spa day would be good, however much to my disappointment that's where the wonder stops.

I really like marriot hotels ( i collect marriot reward points) but sadly this is not the finest example. Carpets are worn amongst the maze of rooms , and the hotel generally looks tired. The lift was a bumpy ride.
This Marriot doesn't make you feel special like other examples of marriot hotels - I just felt disappointed and a little cheated. (£139 a night)

The rooms are large with normal good quality furniture, big bed , quality sheets , tv, desk, curtains . ( I had room 264 )
Unfortunately , no mini bar, no temp control ( only by adjusting the one small radiator) and no additional blankets or pillows. The bathroom looks old . You have to pay for wifi in your room ( for the price of room this is unacceptable ), however wifi is free in the bar.

I had a room with a door ( which was locked) with an adjoining room . I could hear the occupants clearly and Could even smell the cigetete smoke as the smoked out of their window.

Sadly Another example of a hotel that was good 10 years ago. You pay for the location/ grounds and the marriot name , but not the quality.

Staff friendly . Food was average. Parking is free.

Would I stay again ? Probably not!

Stay at a crown plaza ( it pains me to say that!) or save some money and stay at a new premier inn)

Far better examples of hotels out there for a much smaller price

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank read_review_first
Atul K, Front Office Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Good day and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Forest of Arden, A Marriott Hotel and Country Club.

We are happy to hear that our staff was friendly and free parking suited your visit but sorry to hear about your disappointment with a lack of some amenities. Your feedback would greatly help us at addressing these shortcomings and achieving guest satisfaction which we are committed to provide as part of Marriott Hotels.

Sincerely yours

Atul Kankrej
Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#8 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!