“Valentine's Night + kid!”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Valentine's Night + kid!”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Booked this as a surprise for the old fella, a Valentine's getaway, just the two of us..... wrong, babysitter issues and it's just the two of us plus a 12 year old!

The staff couldn't have been anymore accommodating! They made sure we had a room with two double beds, the lovely Phil brought our bags in and made sure we knew how to work the heating, sort the safe and find the spa, excellent service from a lovely man!

Greeted with a drink and chocolate on arrival and straight through to the restaurant for a fab meal at £35 per head for four courses (and a lovely large glass of wine)

Valentine may have been scuppered but the Forest of Arden made up for it, lovely stay, thank you!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank whoopdeedoobasil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Turkish first
LIVERPOOL
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Had a company meeting here in January, the service and food was great for breakfast, Lunch and evening meal. The bar prices were very reasonable. The rooms were spacious and clean but a bit dated. My only negative was no free Wi-Fi.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights (Fri/Sat) whilst attending a family wedding locally.
Arrived after dark (6pm) but the signage from the A45 at Meriden was very good, so no problems finding our way.
Bedlam navigating the lobby due to over 50 of our party arriving from across UK, Ireland, USA, Canada & Australia, but once we reached the desk we were booked in very efficiently. nice to be assigned a ground floor room (142).
The room was nice and quiet, and the curtains were great at keeping out the morning sun, but one of the double-glazed window units was 'blown', so you couldn't see out - I'd expect that to be replaced.
The room itself was good, the bed was very comfortable (and large), we had a desk & chair as well as an armchair and table (I've been in some hotels with only 1 chair so someone has to sit on the bed).
Being out in the countryside may have something to do with it, but the plumbing mean that the toilet didn't have a very powerful flush, and you needed to give it a second 'go'. The shower was disappointing; the head was fixed high up on the wall, so there wasn't a flexible hose. Couldn't get the shower to be both a good rate of flow and a decent temperature, so ended up washing my hair in what I could at best call 'tepid'. Plenty of sturdy 'grab' handles so no risk of falling.
Didn't have a minibar - seems to have been one but the doorknob had been removed and the cupboard door screwed shut?
Went for dinner at 7pm with some of our party - we expanded from 4-6-8-10-12, and each time the staff were very good at accommodating us adding extra tables. It helped that overall there probably weren't more than 24 people in the restaurant. However, we thought the food was overpriced for what it was (eg £26.50 for basic 2 courses before supplements and extras), and the service was rather slow given how empty the restaurant was. They wouldn't have coped if it had been even half-full.
Breakfast was excellent. Buffet breakfast, full English - the mushrooms were to die for!
Especial mention for Maria from Romania - both days she worked really hard to ensure we were catered for. Noted that the Breakfast area is disabled friendly; although there are steps down to the main table area, there are some tables on the same level as the food, so suitable for wheelchair users.
Other reviews have mentioned the long corridors; yes we got lost at first, the signage is not brilliant, but we didn't notice any shabbiness, dirt, litter, damp or general untidiness as others have mentioned.
It was only when reading the other reviews afterwards I discovered the hotel had a swimming pool and gym; apart from mention of the 'spa', our attention hadn't been drawn to there being any other facilities except golf.

Room Tip: Do try to get a ground floor room (there seem to be plenty); the corridors may be long, but it might...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kapple999
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I had the pleasure of staying here during a company event this week and I was amazed just how good it was.
After the two days I felt I would never want eat again - every break came with some form of culinary treat, like the sausages and Virgin Mary's the morning after the late night previous - what a wonderful touch - well done.
The staff were wonderful - attentive but definitely not intrusive, serving our dinner with such fantastic timing and leaving us wanting for nothing.
Restaurant service was incredible - the food breath-taking.
I understand what previous posters have said about the maze like walk to the rooms but it was worth the effort - my room was lovely, clean, spacious with a lovely large comfy bed - all I really wanted.
It would be a pleasure to return - I think I may bring my wife for a weekend treat!
5 Stars all the way.....

Glasgow Scotland
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Excellent big comfy friendly hotel minutes from the NEC.
Great clean rooms ( Thanks ladies) & big comfy bedrooms where everything just works perfectly.
Faultless hotel with great staff - special thanks to Nadine on reception - an excellent Ambassador for the Marriott brand.
Special thanks to little Maria who served the breakfast so well every morning with a big smile & great service.
I'll be back in September but who should I bring? My wife or my golf clubs?
Stayed Room 368 29th Jan - 7th Feb which was perfect for a longer stay.

Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Check in took over 30 minutes - long queue and 2 checking in - 3 staff stood around watching.
No lift working, had to carry my cases on my own up 4 flights of stairs. Couldn't find room as its like a maze no one around to help.
Room very basic - it took over 20 minutes to fill the bath.
Water was cold.
Broadband £6.00 for an hour - terrible for a business and leisure hotel
Dinner was terrible - staff at the bar said take a seat not enough staff to serve, so come up when you need to order. Had to queue for over 10 minutes to order food - it tasted disgusting.
Breakfast the service was good and staff were friendly however the food was very basic - hardly any cereals or fruit available.
Would not stay here or at a Marriott hotel again!

2 Thank Lee H
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Lee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations from your visit. I truly appreciate the feedback you have provided.

I would like to express my sincere apologies for the lapses in service from our end. I have therefore taken this opportunity to send a separate message directly to you as I would like to better understand the opportunities we have let ourselves down on.

Kind regards,

Ankur Ahuja
Director of Rooms Operations, Forest of Arden, a Marriott Hotel and Country Club
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Our rooms were not ready on arrival in the afternoon.

We had lunch in bar of just ham sandwich with wholegrain mustard - sandwiches arrived on rock hard stale bread and no mustard. Asked for mustard and got brought mayo instead.

The whole hotel smelt very damp on all the floors - absolutely overpowering.

Asked for a taxi to be booked and they forgot.

Hotel bills were pushed under room door during night but only half under so all my personel details were on show to anyone walking past in corridor.

Hotel had charged the rooms seperately after I specifically asked for all on one bill and the other person staying was not to know how much the room was. They had a bill under there door too..

Both rooms were charged for newspapers which neither of us asked for or had.

Breakfast was adequate but only just - incorrect cutlery on table. None of milk dispensers worked because they were blocked up with crudd!

Room was adequate even though it was a premier room?

Overall not a pleasant stay and will not be going back there or recommending it.....

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alfa105
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
I would like to thank you for your feedback you have shared with my Front Office Manager upon your departure and on our Trip Advisor web page.

We take pride in our service levels and are committed to provide excellent experience to our guests, and I must apologize to you for this poor experience.

I would like to assure you that we have addressed the service issues you highlighted and have shared your feedback with our team after your departure. Our engineering team has also assured me that all heating and ventilation equipment is working well, however the wet weather over the recent weeks has not helped. Thank you again for your feedback.

I do hope that you will reconsider us for a stay in future and I would be delighted to personally oversee your stay.

Yours sincerely,

Ankur Ahuja
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,893 reviews

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!