“Enjoyed our stay apart from one minor niggle..”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #30 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed our stay apart from one minor niggle..”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed last weekend as part of the DBB Valentine's day offer. It was extremely good value for money- the excellently prepared 4 course dinner alone was worth half the cost of the booking. Lovely hotel grounds, Nice( if not luxurious) Marriott-fare rooms, Breakfast ok.

All in all a fabulous stay apart from an incident on the morning we were supposed to leave. We requested late check out, a request which was graciously granted. Unfortunately, whilst trying to relax during the extended hours, we were disturbed on no less than three different occasions by the housekeeping people suggesting that we should have already checked out. Spoilt the whole morning for us, if i'm completely honest. Better communication between the hotel staff might have avoided this harassment.

Overall, enjoyable stay. Will probably stay again if in the area or if an event requires it, I just will not be asking for late check-out!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lordoye

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Our stay excelled our expectations each member of staff worked hard to make our stay special, greeted us like old friends but made us think we paid their wages-a rare treat! Our room was beautiful, breakfast delicious and the pool magical especially with dimmed lights at night and open till 11pm. We are rebooking! Thanks

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Elaine B
tamworth,staffs
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

We'll after reading the 2 poor reviews on 3rd & 5th feb I'm not sure they're in the same hotel! My family and I are frequent visitors to this hotel and we Have never had anything but a fab experience! Just left after an overnight valentines stay which included bed, breakfast and evening dinner. I have a bowel condition which means my diet is very limited - I am unable to eat gluten. Dairy, yeast, potatoes, parsnip, onions, mushrooms fruit and garlic with other food goods being digested in very small amounts. My normal experience is to 'make do' with something off the menu and never any desert. Never the case here! An e-mail to Kerry in special functions and chef is informed even if she is not overseeing the particular function it's never too much trouble. The chef for valentines was Christina. The day before I received an email from her with my suggested menu which I thought was really nice. Upon arrival check in was speedy, our room was lovely with free chocolates and rose petals, sauna, gym, jacuzzi were great. Our valentines meal was amazing. Free bubbles on arrival, bit as we are teetotal a non alcoholic fizz was bought to our table so again I was not left out. Menus were on the table and Christina had typed up a special menu just for me, another lovely touch. Jade our waitress was excellent. Again nothing was too much trouble. Before our starters Christina came to our table to introduce herself and to ensure the menu was to my liking. She also mentioned that she had been out the day before and bought special ingredients - again nothing is too much trouble. So a smoked salmon stater followed by herby lamb rump that cut like butter with lovely celeriac soup in between I thought my night was complete, how wrong I was! Desert was a selection of warm citrus polenta cake made just for me, with a meringue swan filled with the best dairy free dark chocolate ganache I have ever had, meringue hearts and soya cream. Sooooo good I had a free second helping! What other restaurant gives you that??? To finish was mint tea with petit fours and again special ones to fit with my diet. Christina came to check the meal was ok before leaving and to be honest, how do you show your appreciation to a chef? We'll by telling the world just how fantastic the are! Both my husband and I left the restaurant very fat, but very happy hippos! Breakfast did not let us down either. After enjoying christmas dinner here which I thought could not be beaten, I have to say it definitely has. Here's looking forward to a return visit on Mother's Day, Easter, Father's Day, christmas.....

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lewieTamworth_staffs
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Booked this as a surprise for the old fella, a Valentine's getaway, just the two of us..... wrong, babysitter issues and it's just the two of us plus a 12 year old!

The staff couldn't have been anymore accommodating! They made sure we had a room with two double beds, the lovely Phil brought our bags in and made sure we knew how to work the heating, sort the safe and find the spa, excellent service from a lovely man!

Greeted with a drink and chocolate on arrival and straight through to the restaurant for a fab meal at £35 per head for four courses (and a lovely large glass of wine)

Valentine may have been scuppered but the Forest of Arden made up for it, lovely stay, thank you!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank whoopdeedoobasil
LIVERPOOL
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Had a company meeting here in January, the service and food was great for breakfast, Lunch and evening meal. The bar prices were very reasonable. The rooms were spacious and clean but a bit dated. My only negative was no free Wi-Fi.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights (Fri/Sat) whilst attending a family wedding locally.
Arrived after dark (6pm) but the signage from the A45 at Meriden was very good, so no problems finding our way.
Bedlam navigating the lobby due to over 50 of our party arriving from across UK, Ireland, USA, Canada & Australia, but once we reached the desk we were booked in very efficiently. nice to be assigned a ground floor room (142).
The room was nice and quiet, and the curtains were great at keeping out the morning sun, but one of the double-glazed window units was 'blown', so you couldn't see out - I'd expect that to be replaced.
The room itself was good, the bed was very comfortable (and large), we had a desk & chair as well as an armchair and table (I've been in some hotels with only 1 chair so someone has to sit on the bed).
Being out in the countryside may have something to do with it, but the plumbing mean that the toilet didn't have a very powerful flush, and you needed to give it a second 'go'. The shower was disappointing; the head was fixed high up on the wall, so there wasn't a flexible hose. Couldn't get the shower to be both a good rate of flow and a decent temperature, so ended up washing my hair in what I could at best call 'tepid'. Plenty of sturdy 'grab' handles so no risk of falling.
Didn't have a minibar - seems to have been one but the doorknob had been removed and the cupboard door screwed shut?
Went for dinner at 7pm with some of our party - we expanded from 4-6-8-10-12, and each time the staff were very good at accommodating us adding extra tables. It helped that overall there probably weren't more than 24 people in the restaurant. However, we thought the food was overpriced for what it was (eg £26.50 for basic 2 courses before supplements and extras), and the service was rather slow given how empty the restaurant was. They wouldn't have coped if it had been even half-full.
Breakfast was excellent. Buffet breakfast, full English - the mushrooms were to die for!
Especial mention for Maria from Romania - both days she worked really hard to ensure we were catered for. Noted that the Breakfast area is disabled friendly; although there are steps down to the main table area, there are some tables on the same level as the food, so suitable for wheelchair users.
Other reviews have mentioned the long corridors; yes we got lost at first, the signage is not brilliant, but we didn't notice any shabbiness, dirt, litter, damp or general untidiness as others have mentioned.
It was only when reading the other reviews afterwards I discovered the hotel had a swimming pool and gym; apart from mention of the 'spa', our attention hadn't been drawn to there being any other facilities except golf.

Room Tip: Do try to get a ground floor room (there seem to be plenty); the corridors may be long, but it might...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kapple999
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I had the pleasure of staying here during a company event this week and I was amazed just how good it was.
After the two days I felt I would never want eat again - every break came with some form of culinary treat, like the sausages and Virgin Mary's the morning after the late night previous - what a wonderful touch - well done.
The staff were wonderful - attentive but definitely not intrusive, serving our dinner with such fantastic timing and leaving us wanting for nothing.
Restaurant service was incredible - the food breath-taking.
I understand what previous posters have said about the maze like walk to the rooms but it was worth the effort - my room was lovely, clean, spacious with a lovely large comfy bed - all I really wanted.
It would be a pleasure to return - I think I may bring my wife for a weekend treat!
5 Stars all the way.....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#6 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!