“A relaxing weekend”

Ranked #29 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Lancashire
“A relaxing weekend”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

14th to 16th March 2014. Booked this hotel again for the fourth or fifth time. The break started at the desk with staff who are friendly and professional. We were shown to our Premier room which was a twin, large double bedded room, with a window spanning the width of the room. It smelled fresh and was certainly very clean. I was glad to see that the hotel had decided to remove the rather tired green throws that used to be on the beds; they look a lot better without.We had booked DBB for two nights; the meal being in the Oaks Restaurant, however, looking at the bar menu I would have been just as happy eating in there, as they also had a very comprehensive choice of meals. The following day we had booked for a spar treatment, which I think is a must when you stay at the FOA, but you must book as it gets quite busy with spar day clients. The facilities in the pool area are lovely. I would recommend either an early morning swim or a bit later in the day, as lessons take place on a Saturday morning. However, the pool never gets particularly busy.
The only down side, which is not really a negative, was that I had booked a course view and was a bit disappointed that room 249 mostly overlooked the car park. Also as the hotel is set in such beautiful grounds, it would have been fantastic if there had been some walks to the lake or the woods, other than just for the golfers.
Less of my gripes, it's a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: If you find walking a problem, ask when you book for a room nearer the lifts. It didn't bother u...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Turkish first
Staffordshire
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have just arrived home from a 2 night stay at this hotel having attended a conference there.
I felt compelled to write a review as I haven't experienced such excellent customer service for years. When I arrived and checked in it was around 9.15am fully expecting the usual queue and confirmation that room wouldn't be ready until late afternoon, however, there was no queue and my room was ready a welcome surprise, I was treated with the most courteous service and made to feel welcome and important. The following two days have delivered the same level of service throughout the whole hotel with every member of staff I came into contact with. So with that in mind I was amazed to see the reviews on the hotel saying how poor the staff attitude was, well I can confirm that they have clearly acted on that feedback because they were superb. Additionally the room was lovely and the food excellent all round.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed at the Forest Of Arden Hotel in early December.
Although it was an elegant Hotel, I had a really disappointing stay.
The Hotel décor and rooms are fine, as is the choice of two bars (serving food) and a restaurant.
But it was the customer service which let this Hotel down, for me on this visit.
I will stress that I will be returning to the Hotel for a complimentary stay in July, so I hope to leave a more positive review then. But, for this review, I will explain what happened.
It was literally a stressful stay from start to finish.
Upon arriving at the Hotel, I started check in before my friend did,
yet he was checked in much quicker than I was.
The girl checking me in, spent ages looking puzzled at a screen, and didn't say much to me.
She asked if I had received an email. I told her I had a confirmation email for the booking,
and she seemed confused.
She took a swipe of my card for room expenses, and I saw the amount was £50.00
I was then given a code for complimentary Wi-Fi access.
My friend however was given this, and 2 free drink vouchers for the bar.
So, that wasn't a great start-me not getting the complimentary drinks.
When I arrived at my room, I noticed the television said welcome Room 220 Mr Maguire, and not Mr Moore.
I thought it strange, but didn't read too much into it, at the time.
I purchased some drinks in the Zest bar, I'm guessing around 7.50pm, and charged them to my room.
I also purchased some more in the Oaks Bar, around 9.20pm.
It was at 9.30pm, the barman from the Oaks Bar, came over and told me I couldn't have drinks charged to my room, as I hadn't given reception a swipe of my card. I told him I had, but I had to go to reception to tell them this.
The girl who checked me in, was on a phone call, and looked perplexed that I was there.
I told the other girl, that the girl on the phone had checked me in, and taken a swipe of my card,
only to be told that the Hotel didn't have any details for me.
I told her the amount swiped was £50.00, and she agreed that is the amount the Hotel take a swipe off for expenses.
She then apologized, and I had to put my card in the machine again.
Then the girl shouted to the barman who was with me, "It's ok, he can have drinks to his room now"
At this point, I was feeling stressed and embarrassed.
Where had my card details gone the first time, and why did it take 1 hour 40 minutes from my 1st purchase of drinks, for me to be told there was a problem?
I went back to the bar and told my friend about this, and then thought that it was strange the wrong name was on the television against my room.
So, I went back to reception, and told them about this. The girl said that the room was originally meant for a Mr Maguire, but don't worry your card hasn't been used twice.
Of course by now, I didn't have a clue what was going on, and returned to the bar.
I would probably have spent more money in the bar, but I was up tight, and the night had been somewhat ruined, so I went back to my room early, about 11pm.
When I got back to the room, the room card wouldn't work.
So I had to go back down to reception again.
The original girl who checked me in said "Room 220" and took the card off me and reprogrammed it, and handed it back to me, with no apology, or explanation.
So, reception knew they had cancelled the original card due to their cock-up, and not informed me. You can guess I was feeling pretty annoyed by now!
I know mistakes can happen, but when you stay at a 4 star Hotel, you expect a certain level of service. As stated earlier, I hope it was a one-off and I will have a much better stay the second time around. Positive points, the two bars are nice, one has big screen sports on.
The room was very comfortable and spacious.
The food in the Zest bar was very nice.
Pate was spot on, and the Pizza was so rich and filling, we couldn't eat a dessert.
Although I had a disappointing stay, I have tried to be fair,
and I have based my rating on the overall Hotel, not just the customer service received.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cjm24
Atul K, Front Office Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your last stay.

I can assure you that we have addressed service issues highlighted and are committed to provide excellent service to our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Atul Kankrej
rochester
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Perhaps deserves fours stars, but I really didn't get this hotel. The location is amazing and it should be like shooting fish in a barrel to turn that into a great experience, but let down by the most miserable staff, poor food and rooms that need A/C. The maid did not leave extra supplies and is it too much to have a bottle of water in the room? The concierge (don't recall his name, Phil??) should be promoted immediately to head of customer service for the hotel, he is a class act who remembers every customers name and gives a friendly greeting every time. He was outstanding!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank HungrySW
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback and for your compliments for Phil. He is great asset to our hotel and he was delighted to read your kind comments.

I am sorry that you were not happy with the quality of our food and service from our housekeeping team member and I would like to apologise for it. We do not have air conditioning in our bedrooms and do not normally provide bottled water in our standard bedrooms and I am sorry that this did not meet your expectations.

We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. We have shared your feedback with our team. Our goal is to address these concerns so we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

We hope you would return to stay at our hotel.

Solihull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Spent a lovely day with a girlfriend on a spa day. Full use of the gym/ pool/sauna facilities followed by our chosen treatment performed by lovely staff... Finishing with lunch in Zest restaurant, a very chilled out day was had by all. Certainly recommend .....

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Julie P
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a school reunion.
The reception staff were friendly and helpful, they stored our bags as we had arrived before the room was ready.
Our room was clean, tidy, and had plenty of room. My daughter loved having a double bed to herself. The beds were comfortable and we all slept well.
Food was excellent, with dinner being great and staff coped well with us all. The quality of dinner was great.
Breakfast was also good with a good selection.

We would happily stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you very much for your compliments regarding our hotel and service. I am very pleased to know you and your family enjoyed the stay with us.

I have passed your kind comments to our team and would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Ankur Ahuja
Director of Rooms Operations, Forest of Arden, a Marriott Hotel and Country Club.
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here for Crufts, clean serviceable room, concierge was very friendly & attentive. Sadly the catering let the hotel down. It was bland, uninspiring and overcooked. Food rating 1.5 at best. Such a shame for a 4 star hotel

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Weimiemommy
Thank you for taking the time for giving us your feedback and I am happy to hear that you found the hotel to be good.

I am sorry though that you were not happy with the quality of our food. We take pride in our food offerings and I must apologise to you for not meeting your expectations. I have passed your feedback to our kitchen team.

I have passed your compliments to our concierge, thank you once again for it.

We hope that you would return to stay at our hotel.

Ankur Ahuja
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#6 of 117 in Birmingham
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!