“In this hotel you can have a lovely stay or a terrible stay ...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #32 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
London, United Kingdom
“In this hotel you can have a lovely stay or a terrible stay ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I have been staying in this hotel for almost a year, every week for 3 or 4 nights.
The hotel is in a lovely location.
This hotel has no Executive Lounge. I am a Platinum member so they usually give me one drink voucher for each night.
I have stayed in many rooms in this hotel.
If you stay in a standard room, you will probably not have a good stay.
In the standard rooms, there are no complimentary bottle of water, no bathrobe or sleeper, the rooms are usually small and overlooking the courtyard, so you can only see other rooms from your window(very small window) and the rooms are very small and dark and the room layout is not very practical.
If the room is clean I would not mind if it’s small, but most of the standard rooms are very smelly, this is because of the shower curtains that are not very clean, and the towels and bed linens are usually old, stained and grey(I am sure they use to be white).
The best rooms are the ones overlooking the golf course, they are usually bigger, with big window, cleaner, not smelly and the towels are soft and nice.
This week I am in a standard room. The first room was so smelly I have asked to change, the second one was the same, but I could not bother to change one more time.
I am sure the shower curtain have never been washed there are some stains and it’s disgusting, the towels are smelly and old , the bed linens are the same, does not look clean, the carpet is so dirty, I don’t think have been vacuumed for long time.

So … in this hotel you can have a lovely stay or a terrible stay, really depends on the room and the cleanness and luck to have a nice stay …

In my opinion the hotel need to be more careful with the cleaning !
I think the housekeeping don’t clean very well the standard rooms ! And please wash the shower curtain !!!

Most of the staff in this hotel are friendly, specially Phil and the people that serve the room service are very nice !

Room Tip: Ask a room overlooking the golf course
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MMIHaria
762AndrewD_86, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear MMIHaria

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay here at the Marriott Forest of Arden. We appreciate your feedback as a valued Platinum member to continually improve our level of service. All our bedrooms are cleaned to a high standard and we are sorry that you have not experienced the consistent cleanliness standards we endeavour to maintain. I have passed your feedback to my team and would like to thank you once again.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.
Kind Regards
Andrew Dear – Executive Housekeeper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Loveky hotel in a fab location - only criticism would be the lack of signage and rabbit warren-like corridors. Got lost on several occasions! Breakfast I buffet style and pretty good choice but found it hard to get a waitress to order coffee from. Spa is well worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank dizzyblonde267
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Very enjoyable overnight stay at the Forest which included a 3 course evening meal and breakfast the following day. From the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out we enjoyed our stay and unusually for a large hotel the service was very friendly and welcoming. The evening meal of goats cheese, followed by plaice with brown shrimp was delicious and served punctually and with good friendly service from Janet and Jade. The buffet breakfast the next morning was also faultless, with the poached eggs were a particular mention. Our room was also very spacious with a good open view of the surrounding gold course and countryside. The bed was also gigantic and very comfortable. The only slight criticism was the temperamental TV remote control, so could not change channel and therefore forced to watch BBC1 and Sport Relief, but this was only a very minor inconvenience to what was otherwise a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. Will be back

Room Tip: Room 119 was very spacious and close to the reception but quiet and with excellent open views.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael G
Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed here with my partner for an early Valentine's day night away.
The hotel is set in a lovely area and golf course, in a good location easy to get to from the motorway.
However, I don't think it lives up to its 4* rating. Some parts of the hotel were dated and the finish on some of the walls/fixtures was not very good.
We were given a large room, which was very warm and had a view over the golf course (and the car park). The room had a large expanse of space near the window which was only filled with a singular chair and small table, which looked odd.
In the bathroom, everything was clean and the water pressure was good but it could do with updating and re-grouting.
We used the pool, steam room and sauna facilities which were lovely
We ate at the in house restaurant, which was amazing. The food was excellently presented and tasted wonderful, would definitely go back for the restaurant alone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Atul K, Front Office Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Ms Yardley,

Thank you for your stay and sharing your experience.

We are delighted to receive good feedback about our facilities and food. I would also like to thank you for your feedback about décor and room furniture. This would help us to enhance our facilities in continuing to deliver admirable experience to our guests.

We look forward to having you visit us in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Atul Kankrej
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

14th to 16th March 2014. Booked this hotel again for the fourth or fifth time. The break started at the desk with staff who are friendly and professional. We were shown to our Premier room which was a twin, large double bedded room, with a window spanning the width of the room. It smelled fresh and was certainly very clean. I was glad to see that the hotel had decided to remove the rather tired green throws that used to be on the beds; they look a lot better without.We had booked DBB for two nights; the meal being in the Oaks Restaurant, however, looking at the bar menu I would have been just as happy eating in there, as they also had a very comprehensive choice of meals. The following day we had booked for a spar treatment, which I think is a must when you stay at the FOA, but you must book as it gets quite busy with spar day clients. The facilities in the pool area are lovely. I would recommend either an early morning swim or a bit later in the day, as lessons take place on a Saturday morning. However, the pool never gets particularly busy.
The only down side, which is not really a negative, was that I had booked a course view and was a bit disappointed that room 249 mostly overlooked the car park. Also as the hotel is set in such beautiful grounds, it would have been fantastic if there had been some walks to the lake or the woods, other than just for the golfers.
Less of my gripes, it's a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: If you find walking a problem, ask when you book for a room nearer the lifts. It didn't bother u...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have just arrived home from a 2 night stay at this hotel having attended a conference there.
I felt compelled to write a review as I haven't experienced such excellent customer service for years. When I arrived and checked in it was around 9.15am fully expecting the usual queue and confirmation that room wouldn't be ready until late afternoon, however, there was no queue and my room was ready a welcome surprise, I was treated with the most courteous service and made to feel welcome and important. The following two days have delivered the same level of service throughout the whole hotel with every member of staff I came into contact with. So with that in mind I was amazed to see the reviews on the hotel saying how poor the staff attitude was, well I can confirm that they have clearly acted on that feedback because they were superb. Additionally the room was lovely and the food excellent all round.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Wolverhampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed at the Forest Of Arden Hotel in early December.
Although it was an elegant Hotel, I had a really disappointing stay.
The Hotel décor and rooms are fine, as is the choice of two bars (serving food) and a restaurant.
But it was the customer service which let this Hotel down, for me on this visit.
I will stress that I will be returning to the Hotel for a complimentary stay in July, so I hope to leave a more positive review then. But, for this review, I will explain what happened.
It was literally a stressful stay from start to finish.
Upon arriving at the Hotel, I started check in before my friend did,
yet he was checked in much quicker than I was.
The girl checking me in, spent ages looking puzzled at a screen, and didn't say much to me.
She asked if I had received an email. I told her I had a confirmation email for the booking,
and she seemed confused.
She took a swipe of my card for room expenses, and I saw the amount was £50.00
I was then given a code for complimentary Wi-Fi access.
My friend however was given this, and 2 free drink vouchers for the bar.
So, that wasn't a great start-me not getting the complimentary drinks.
When I arrived at my room, I noticed the television said welcome Room 220 Mr Maguire, and not Mr Moore.
I thought it strange, but didn't read too much into it, at the time.
I purchased some drinks in the Zest bar, I'm guessing around 7.50pm, and charged them to my room.
I also purchased some more in the Oaks Bar, around 9.20pm.
It was at 9.30pm, the barman from the Oaks Bar, came over and told me I couldn't have drinks charged to my room, as I hadn't given reception a swipe of my card. I told him I had, but I had to go to reception to tell them this.
The girl who checked me in, was on a phone call, and looked perplexed that I was there.
I told the other girl, that the girl on the phone had checked me in, and taken a swipe of my card,
only to be told that the Hotel didn't have any details for me.
I told her the amount swiped was £50.00, and she agreed that is the amount the Hotel take a swipe off for expenses.
She then apologized, and I had to put my card in the machine again.
Then the girl shouted to the barman who was with me, "It's ok, he can have drinks to his room now"
At this point, I was feeling stressed and embarrassed.
Where had my card details gone the first time, and why did it take 1 hour 40 minutes from my 1st purchase of drinks, for me to be told there was a problem?
I went back to the bar and told my friend about this, and then thought that it was strange the wrong name was on the television against my room.
So, I went back to reception, and told them about this. The girl said that the room was originally meant for a Mr Maguire, but don't worry your card hasn't been used twice.
Of course by now, I didn't have a clue what was going on, and returned to the bar.
I would probably have spent more money in the bar, but I was up tight, and the night had been somewhat ruined, so I went back to my room early, about 11pm.
When I got back to the room, the room card wouldn't work.
So I had to go back down to reception again.
The original girl who checked me in said "Room 220" and took the card off me and reprogrammed it, and handed it back to me, with no apology, or explanation.
So, reception knew they had cancelled the original card due to their cock-up, and not informed me. You can guess I was feeling pretty annoyed by now!
I know mistakes can happen, but when you stay at a 4 star Hotel, you expect a certain level of service. As stated earlier, I hope it was a one-off and I will have a much better stay the second time around. Positive points, the two bars are nice, one has big screen sports on.
The room was very comfortable and spacious.
The food in the Zest bar was very nice.
Pate was spot on, and the Pizza was so rich and filling, we couldn't eat a dessert.
Although I had a disappointing stay, I have tried to be fair,
and I have based my rating on the overall Hotel, not just the customer service received.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cjm24
Atul K, Front Office Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your last stay.

I can assure you that we have addressed service issues highlighted and are committed to provide excellent service to our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Yours sincerely,

Atul Kankrej
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
#41 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,442 reviews

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!