“Marriott Quality” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“Marriott Quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Generally excellent 3 day stay at the resort. Usual Marriott quality rooms and public rooms and all staff were friendly as well as helpful.
The Aylesford course was adequate but the Arden course was excellent and in great condition.
The only disappointment was the food. Breakfast was OK, but not up to standard or choice at other Marriotts or Hiltons I stay at. Evening meals for our party were particularly disappointing and consequently spectacularly poor value I think. There was a big function on both nights of our stay and it seems this left little time for the catering staff to care about the 54 of us in our group.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Turkish first
Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Visited this hotel as part of a get together with friends from University. The hotel is set amid beautiful grounds and the weather made the views even more spectacular. Unfortunately, there were a series of events that let this place down. Firstly, we booked on their website direct and despite booking the same room, for the same price that was advertised on late rooms.com, we didn't have breakfast included. If we had made the same booking on a different website, we would have had it included! Very strange and unfair. They gave us each a voucher to have breakfast for the 'bargain' price of just ten pounds! (Not! it was just standard buffet). We moved on to enjoy our weekend and moved to the gardens to have a few drinks outside. Had to wait over half an hour for the waiter to bring just one glass of Pimms out and we even had to remind him.
Again, we let it go and carried on the fun by using their pool and 'spa' facilities. The pool made you feel like you were at your local council run leisure centre; tired decor in desperate need of an update. Poor changing facilities. We all went on to meet for dinner, they brought out a bottle of red wine which had been chilling in the fridge all day! We were hoping it would warm up so we could have it with dinner but no joy and yet again, had to ask them to take it back. Sea bass burnt also. Had scallops to start which were very nice to be fair. At this point, we felt it best to speak with management as enough was enough. After being subjected to a patronising debate, the manager finally gave in to our demand for 'free breakfast' - we had already paid at time of booking but we won't keep on about this. Such a shame about these things, thankfully the company of our friends more than made up for it. I'd doubt we would stay there again. I think it's more three star than four. Ok if away on business or if you fancy a swim and your local leisure centre is busy. Apparently good golf facilities but I live near the Celtic Manor Resort which have some of the best golf courses in the UK so I'm sure it would pale in comparison.

Sorry Marriot! Such a shame but far from living up to four star standards I'm afraid.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Natalie C
Atul K, Front Office Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your feedback.

I am disappointed to hear about your experience and we would like to sincerely apologise for the same. We always aim to ensure we meet and exceed guest expectations but unfortunately we were not successful on this occasion.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope that you would reconsider us in the future.

Kind regards,
Atul Kankrej
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Forest of Arden my wife treated me for my 30th Birthday the best surprise ever! We had a standard room which was definitely not standard a lovely comfortable bed :):) the breakfast was nice and plenty of it even the egg/omelette man made me chuckle! The golf course was unbelievable a true test especially the 18th although I made a cheeky par. One highlight was the mid point at the Arden the on course catering my wife was caddying and was pleased to grab a coffee and sausage and bacon bap which she commented it was the best butty she has ever had, the man behind the counter think his name was Gary was very friendly and gave us some good advice and made us feel very welcome. I will be visiting again hopefully break 90 next time and will treat myself to the butty.

Room Tip: Course view!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luke S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I phoned in advance to request an early check-in and found the receptionist (Greg, I believe) friendly and polite, and was able to guarantee my room would be ready an hour earlier. On arrival the valet (Phil) was incredibly welcoming and immediately increased my feelings of ease.

The room was clean with a large comfy bed, although it was lacking an abundance of natural light (I was on the top floor facing the car park). I was however able to fully open my window which seems a rarity amongst hotels, and was greeted by the aroma of freshly cut grass in the morning - a perfect start to the day.

I found the breakfast spread varied and plentiful, the bar however, is a bit pricey!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sophie P
Rotherham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I visited as a party of golfers. The room was typical really but clean and comfortable and the bathroom well equipped. Both golf courses are fantastic.

The food however I found not so much. On our first night we were expecting to choose from the menu as our itinerary implied. Not so! We were told we were having the 'golfers package buffet'. We were eating around 8.30pm so I imagine the food that was left had been hanging around some time. None of it was on cool plates, so wasn't (in my opinion) as cold as it should have been. The main course was a choice of beef stew! In a supposed 4 star hotel? Or pork rib eye steaks, a cut of meat I've never heard of, ever! When more pork came it looked (and tasted) as if it had been reheated in gravy. It was disgusting, chewy, tough and with no flavour.

Suffice to say that night I became very well acquainted with the bathroom facilities.

I did tell the reception staff the next day and to be fair their attitude was not what I anticipated - basically they didn't seem interested. At no time was I asked if I was still ill or anything. However that night we didn't have the buffet and chose from the menu.

So golf excellent food not so much, especially the buffet!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the golf course, ours faced a courtyard and was quite dark
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annette W
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Annette,

Thank you for your positive comments about our golf course and bedroom.

I am sorry to know that you were not satisfied with the quality of our food and reception team. I have passed the feedback to our team.

I would like to apologise that you were not made aware of the buffet in your itinerary. I am also sorry to learn about your upset tummy. We had served the buffet to many other guests that evening and I confirm that we have had no other feedback regarding any food illness. I have therefore taken this opportunity to send a message directly to you as I would like to get more details.

Thank you taking the time to provide feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Ankur Ahuja
Director of Rooms Operations, Forest of Arden, a Marriott Hotel and Country Club
Barry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Set up for a fast through put the personal service was good with much evidence of good training. However still charging for Wi Fi access in your rooms is a reminder of the dark changes. From talking to staff they have clearly had many complaints Until free access becomes available in all areas I will not be returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Geraint E
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for your positive comments about our staff service.

I am sorry that you were not happy with the charge for the internet in the bedrooms. As you are aware we have complimentary internet access in all our public areas including lobby and restaurants which is similar to other Marriott Hotels, this is to ensure that we can continue to provide safe and fast internet to all our guests.

Your feedback is important to us and I would like to thank you once again.

Yours sincerely,

Ankur Ahuja
Bernardsville, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

A very nice converted country manor with golf course about fifteen minutes from Birmingham airport (which shares the distinction, alongside Manchester airport and Heathrow, of being the biggest dumps ever built next to a runway). UK airports are a total embarrassment (I am a Brit).

Staff are great, especially Flora behind the bar.

We were there for an RAF fighter pilot reunion, (all two hundred of us), so there was probably a bit of a strain on the staff. My room service tray from the wee hours of my first night remained outside my room for the duration of my stay (despite two calls to reception). We eventually used it to ride down the stairwell to the emergency exit, just like the old Cresta Run..face first !!

The pool and sauna/steam room were remarkably US-like..ie., clean and attractive...no overpowering smell of chlorine (or worse) and nice changing rooms.
breakfast was very good and my room service breakfast on the second morning was a blowout !..a loaded and very hot plate...kudos for this !

Room Tip: 255..overlooks the first tee and 18th hole..probably 253,257 also
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
#41 of 117 in Birmingham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,441 reviews

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!