“Service with a smile”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Spent 3 excellent days with a group of 14 golfers at this wonderful venue. Rooms were first class, good food and well presented golf courses. What made the biggest impression however was the quality of service. It was great to be greeted by consistently helpful staff with a positive attitude. Must mention specifically Jade who dealt brilliantly with our meals in the evening looking after a large group of hungry and thirsty golfers.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed for two nights as part of a golfing group. I found both the accommodation and food excellent and the staff very welcoming - especially Jade who was our waitress for both the evening meals. My only gripe was the lack of free internet wifi access. Marriott seem to be a bit behind the times in this area - most hotels I stay in now provide it free as a matter of course and it does influence where I stay.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed here for one night. Not only was the hotel clean, spacious and a great range of facilities, but the service received was amazing. I suffered from abdominal pains in the early hours of the morning and the manager organised a taxi to A and E, paid for our fare there, and also escorted my partner and I down through the back exit in case we knew anyone out the front. Not only was this extremely thoughtful, but it was professional and kind. He was there on our return and again made sure I was ok. The lady on reception at the time also helped my partner decide what to do in terms of my care and was very friendly. All staff were approachable and friendly throughout our stay. Food and drink were fabulous. I have never stayed in a Marriott before, but will now look out for them!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank singinmummy
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Generally excellent 3 day stay at the resort. Usual Marriott quality rooms and public rooms and all staff were friendly as well as helpful.
The Aylesford course was adequate but the Arden course was excellent and in great condition.
The only disappointment was the food. Breakfast was OK, but not up to standard or choice at other Marriotts or Hiltons I stay at. Evening meals for our party were particularly disappointing and consequently spectacularly poor value I think. There was a big function on both nights of our stay and it seems this left little time for the catering staff to care about the 54 of us in our group.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Visited this hotel as part of a get together with friends from University. The hotel is set amid beautiful grounds and the weather made the views even more spectacular. Unfortunately, there were a series of events that let this place down. Firstly, we booked on their website direct and despite booking the same room, for the same price that was advertised on late rooms.com, we didn't have breakfast included. If we had made the same booking on a different website, we would have had it included! Very strange and unfair. They gave us each a voucher to have breakfast for the 'bargain' price of just ten pounds! (Not! it was just standard buffet). We moved on to enjoy our weekend and moved to the gardens to have a few drinks outside. Had to wait over half an hour for the waiter to bring just one glass of Pimms out and we even had to remind him.
Again, we let it go and carried on the fun by using their pool and 'spa' facilities. The pool made you feel like you were at your local council run leisure centre; tired decor in desperate need of an update. Poor changing facilities. We all went on to meet for dinner, they brought out a bottle of red wine which had been chilling in the fridge all day! We were hoping it would warm up so we could have it with dinner but no joy and yet again, had to ask them to take it back. Sea bass burnt also. Had scallops to start which were very nice to be fair. At this point, we felt it best to speak with management as enough was enough. After being subjected to a patronising debate, the manager finally gave in to our demand for 'free breakfast' - we had already paid at time of booking but we won't keep on about this. Such a shame about these things, thankfully the company of our friends more than made up for it. I'd doubt we would stay there again. I think it's more three star than four. Ok if away on business or if you fancy a swim and your local leisure centre is busy. Apparently good golf facilities but I live near the Celtic Manor Resort which have some of the best golf courses in the UK so I'm sure it would pale in comparison.

Sorry Marriot! Such a shame but far from living up to four star standards I'm afraid.

2  Thank Natalie C
Atul K, Front Office Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

I would like to thank you for the time taken to share your feedback.

I am disappointed to hear about your experience and we would like to sincerely apologise for the same. We always aim to ensure we meet and exceed guest expectations but unfortunately we were not successful on this occasion.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope that you would reconsider us in the future.

Kind regards,
Atul Kankrej

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Forest of Arden my wife treated me for my 30th Birthday the best surprise ever! We had a standard room which was definitely not standard a lovely comfortable bed :):) the breakfast was nice and plenty of it even the egg/omelette man made me chuckle! The golf course was unbelievable a true test especially the 18th although I made a cheeky par. One highlight was the mid point at the Arden the on course catering my wife was caddying and was pleased to grab a coffee and sausage and bacon bap which she commented it was the best butty she has ever had, the man behind the counter think his name was Gary was very friendly and gave us some good advice and made us feel very welcome. I will be visiting again hopefully break 90 next time and will treat myself to the butty.

Room Tip: Course view!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luke S
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I phoned in advance to request an early check-in and found the receptionist (Greg, I believe) friendly and polite, and was able to guarantee my room would be ready an hour earlier. On arrival the valet (Phil) was incredibly welcoming and immediately increased my feelings of ease.

The room was clean with a large comfy bed, although it was lacking an abundance of natural light (I was on the top floor facing the car park). I was however able to fully open my window which seems a rarity amongst hotels, and was greeted by the aroma of freshly cut grass in the morning - a perfect start to the day.

I found the breakfast spread varied and plentiful, the bar however, is a bit pricey!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sophie P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!