“Excellent hotel”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #34 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had an overnight stay last weekend and we thought this was an excellent hotel. Nice welcome and a big double room. We liked both bars and they each had their own atmosphere. Fantastic breakfast. Late at night we asked for some more tea bags and (cheekily) biscuits. Within ten minutes somebody had arrived at the room with the tea bags and several packets of bisuits. Thanks, they were just what we needed.
As a previous reviewer has noted this is a perfect hotel for golfers or weddings. We arrived on one of the warmest sunniest days of the year and the hotel grounds/golf course looked spectacular. We asked at reception if there was a part of the grounds we could go for a walk. We were asked to keep off the golf course but were directed to a nature walk indicated by yellow marker posts. Unfortunately the pathway was overgrown with stinging nettles and was v muddy so we had to abandon our expedition. This was in contrast to the golf course which was immaculate.It would be nice if this nature walk could be better maintained so that non-golfers have somewhere to walk. We did notice the tennis courts which I am sure hotel guests could use.
The following morning we were up early so we decided to go for a run around the edge of the golf course being careful to keep out of the way of the golfers. Nobody seemed to mind. We then had a swim in the pool which is actually one of the better hotel pools I have used. The steam room and jacuzzi were perfect.
So overall we enjoyed our stay in this luxurious hotel and would definately book it again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you very much for your compliments regarding our hotel and service. I am very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you as well for your feedback regarding the nature trail.

I have passed feedback comments to our team and would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Ankur Ahuja
Director of Rooms Operations, Forest of Arden, a Marriott Hotel and Country Club

Write a ReviewReviews (1,526)

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We travel a lot and love, like everyone, a great bit of dedicated service and here we were welcomed by 'Phil' one of the best concierge's we have come across, Phil is only pipped into second place by the Savoy, so that's saying something...

As Marriott Elite Card Holders (recommended), we got such a warm welcome and super service, including all our kit from car to room, a full room tour and even an offer to put the kettle on for tea, (that's near on butler service.) amazing and thank you Phil...

We have a great room, nice golf course view and best of all the Marriott lived up to their promise that if we found the room cheaper than anywhere else they would match the deal and give us 25% off. Now we are avid hotel visitors so i went straight to the Marriott website and booked a two night stay for £214 witha full guarantee we would not get it cheaper... Just out of interest after booking I checked Booking.com and found it cheaper. All I then did was fill out the form and within an hour their promise was fulfilled, they matched the price and gave a 25% discount as well - Great job Marriott...

I am so impressed I am writing this from my room, hold on room service has just arrived!!!

OK it's confirmed we love this place...

Trust you do too...

Tony Vee

Room Tip: Get a Marriott reward card, that way they automatically give you the best room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Anthony V

Thank you very much for your compliments regarding our hotel and service, especially Phil, our concierge. I am very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your feedback to Phil and he is delighted. Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed for one night, dinner and a round of golf on the Arden. The hotel is ok, a little jaded, but the reception staff first class. However, the food and service in the Zest bar and cafe was dire - 45 minutes to have two salads delivered, one had to go back as it had lumps of plastic in it, it reappeared 15 minutes later, no dressing which grumpily appeared in a chipped bowl with no spoon and by a waiter who clearly wanted to be in any other job than this one. Everything to do with the golf course was very good. Dinner pretty average and disorganised service, but the breakfast manager clearly on top of his game. Conclusion variable, and would struggle to return.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Peter,

I would like to thank you for your feedback. I am happy to read that you appreciate service from our reception team and breakfast manager and were happy with Golf.

I note your feedback regarding poor quality of food and service in Zest Restaurant and have shared it with the team. I would like to apologise for it. We are committed to provide excellent experience to our guests and your feedback would assist us in our commitment to exceed our guest expectations.

I would like to apologise again and hope that you will reconsider us for a stay in future.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I booked and travelled to this hotel on the same day as I needed to be at the airport early the following day. The rate for the same day was competitive.

The hotel itself is a mere 3 miles or less than 10 minute drive to the airport which is very handy. I was able to relax in the afternoon and grab a bite to eat before the airport run. The location is rural with zero aircraft noise.

Upon arrival I was greated with a great smile and service by Amy (thank you!). My MR Gold status was recognised and I was given a choice of welcome gifts plus two complimentary drinks vouchers to use at one of the bars. Within 10 minutes of arriving in my room the welcome gift (a bottle of wine) arrived - a nice touch.

The room was airy, clean and fully functional - as was the bathroom. The bed is what you would expect from a Marriott hotel and I was able to get a good nights rest.

Due to a wedding I decided against eating in the Oaks bar due to the wedding party taking over the whole bar. I grabbed a burger and drink at Zest which faces the 18th hole of the Golf course. The outside seating area was popular as it was a sunny evening.

Having read reports of the pool being in worse condition than a public swimming baths I would have to disagree. The pool and the pool areas were spotless.

Breakfast was complimentary for us and it was a great selection of continental, juices and fully cooked breakfast options with a manned omlette station and kids breakfast section. I must thank Maria for such an attentive service, she even went as far as topping up our fruit juices from our table.

Onsite parking is free.

As a frequent traveller I would definitely consider using the stay, park and fly rates next time I use Birmingham Internation Airport for travel.

If I was to suggest any recommendations for improvement, I would say improve the flavour of the scrambled eggs on the breakfast buffet, replace the tired cheap looking benches around the pool and improve the sound deadening in corridors (some guests are oblivious to other guests that may be sleeping in the rooms that they are talking outside of).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ajlowe444
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed at hotel with family May 25/27 on dinner,b/b and golf package.First the good points,the staff at reception were efficient and polite as was the eastern European lady who looked after the Oaks restaurant and a young Asian man working in the Zest golf restaurant and bar.The rest of the regular staff were non-committal and the management non -existent.The hotel (obviously for financial reasons) take numerous bookings for wedding parties there were 3 on one day those wedding guests take over the hotels two only bars so if a resident wants a drink they have to mingle with those guests.Due to a shortage of staff after the guests have been directed to the wedding venues the bars especially the Oaks were left like a bomb had gone off,the tables were dirty,half glasses of drinks were everywhere,banana skins and crisp packets on the floor and food left on the tables,none of the staff made a move to clean up the mess until I asked them to do so,this applied to the Zest bar as well but to a lesser extent .We ate in the Oaks restaurant,the food was average at best and the hot buffet food was overcooked.We had the buffet one night but decided to go A La Carte second night ,quite unbelievably the waiters brought out the second course and dessert course before they had even cleared the tables of the previous courses,we mentioned this to a girl in charge who just went off in a huff.The hotel is rather dated and needs a good refurb and clean up,however the rooms are of a decent standard.I would suggest that only golfers and wedding guests book this hotel because individuals booking privately and looking for a relaxing place to eat and drink are completely overlooked

Room Tip: overlooking golf course is better
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank robert c
Atul K, Front Office Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your recent stay.

Your experience has not been excellent and we would like to apologise for not able to meet your expectations and exceed as we always would like to commit and do. I would like to assure you that we have addressed service and food quality issues with concerned management team for further follow-up.

I am delighted to read your positive comments and we will ensure to recognise team members who have demonstrated customer service qualities which you have highlighted.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and with your feedback we can work towards ensuring to welcome you back in future and enjoy stay at Forest Of Arden which can be a memorable one.

Atul Kankrej

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here last weekend for a friend's wedding; lovely location and venue but that's about it for the 4* rating!

Visited the "spa" if you can call it that; the focus here was really on the treatments you could have (I had an excellent hot stone massage) but for a 4* hotel I was expecting more than an unsupervised pool, steam room, jacuzzi and sauna all crammed in one room with half a dozen fairly tatty loungers.

Food was nice, ate in The Oaks bar for dinner and breakfast.

Beds were very comfortable, the rooms are clean but quite small.

Hotel is very busy and woefully understaffed (3 phone calls it took to get an interconnecting door opened!) and staff generally need to re-visit their customer service training as they are largely unhelpful, rude, and are seemingly unable to fulfil a request without having a tip first.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank xoxo_FairyFoot_xoxo

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your stay and feedback you have provided.

As I can learn from your feedback that you have complimented on our location, meals in our outlets and spa treatment which has left you with a memorable experience of our property. Also I am very appreciative on providing us with constructive feedback which is valuable in ensuring we can keep delivering on service and product to make future stays exceptional.

I hope you would like to see us again in future and we can reflect and regain your trust in Forest Of Arden.

Atul Kankrej

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was part of a golf weekend with 52 golfers and spent two nights at this large hotel. The room was a good standard, large, very clean with two double beds. The one downside is the lack of free WiFi in the room which really is the norm now.( £6 per hour). There is free WiFi in the public area but with limited seating in foyer it is accessed in the bar area. There is a good swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam rooms etc(plus spa area). The zest bar was busy but well staffed and an enjoyable place to watch the attempts of golfers on the Arden course to land a ball on the 18th green.The food was excellent throughout. A good selection at breakfast and an excellent full buffet served in an upstairs function room in the evening. Really can't fault the quality, quantity and variety of the 5 courses. Throughout the stay I was impressed by the number of staff serving in the bars and the restaurants and particularly how friendly and helpful they were. Golf wise - The Aylesford course had been over used with rather threadbare tees and a few rather bumpy greens but an enjoyable warm up for the main course. The Arden course fully lived up to expectations and with pin places set for "final day " play and magnificent large greens guarded by lakes and bunkers. Well done if you manage to get in with a net par for this course!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends