“Pretty good, but pretty expensive”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #31 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
County Durham
“Pretty good, but pretty expensive”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We booked this hotel to come back to to relax after a day at Drayton Manor theme park. We had stayed previously so knew what to expect, but this time hoped for better weather so that we could make more use of some of the outdoor facilities.
I thought the price was quite expensive when I booked, but we wanted a pool for our boys so ce la vie!
We were given a large room (2 double beds) in the same corridor as we stayed in the last time, but on the opposite side, so just had a view into an internal courtyard/garden, but we weren't there to look out of the window.
We headed straight for the pool and were a little disappointed to see that half of it was roped off for a private swimming lesson for 2 children, but luckily the pool wasn't busy so it wasn't too much of a problem. The changing room and showers were clean, the only small thing I could recommend is that they upgrade the lockers to keypads (as many other Marriott hotels have) so that you don't have to have a big plastic bracelet with the key attached to it.
We didn't eat in the hotel as we actually had a room picnic that we had brought with us, but we did pop down to the bar for a drink. I was really surprised at how quiet it was but I think the hotel in general was very quiet.
We all slept well and even needed our alarm to wake us the next morning.
The breakfast room was very quiet, but there was still plenty of choice and even someone to cook eggs, omelettes etc. Breakfast was nice, but we thought that the breakfast we had at the Premier Inn the previous morning was better.
After breakfast my husband and oldest son used the pool again, while me and our 5yr old just chilled in the room. After check out we headed for the driving range, then for a game of tennis before we left for our journey home.
We enjoyed our stay, but thought that the price we paid was quite expensive bearing in mind how quiet the hotel was. However we would probably return to the hotel if we are visiting Drayton Manor again.

1 Thank RuthH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

It is what you would except in a Marriott Hotel from shower curtains to bedside table in terms of rooms facility.

The hotel has good leisure facilities although a small convenient shop would be en extra touch much appreciated by guests not traveling by car I guess.

The food at the Zest bar next to the pool could be better. The menu needs urgent attention. I ordered a margherita pizza and the base was too thick. There should be an option for a thin base.

Staff was fine.

All in all an ok hotel.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed at the Forest of Arden for two nights whilst attending a wedding. The hotel has it’s many good point but unfortunately too many needless bad ones.
I will start with the plusses, the staff are very welcoming and indeed helpful, the breakfast was excellent, the room very clean and the beds very comfortable. The leisure centre within the hotel is excellent and very clean.
Where the hotel lets itself down is on service. And there were quite a few instances during our stay. Firstly I had requested a cot in our room and emailed the hotel a couple of days before our arrival to confirm this request. I received a reply assuring me that this was in hand. When we arrived in our room, guess what? no cot.
I contacted reception and they said one would be sent up. On returning to our room over 3 hours later, still no cot, I rang reception again, where they had obviously changed shift and the receptionist knew nothing about the cot, she did however get the matter sorted.
Next is the service at the various bars, it was all too slow and not enough staff on duty. This was a situation that continued throughout our stay,
When we arrived back at the hotel from the wedding ceremony, there was a champagne and canopies reception in one of the hotel suites. The bar here was a disaster, it was as if they had been taken by surprise and didn’t think anyone would want to order a drink, all the taps seemed to be off and had to be drained off and new barrels set up, although not before I was served what can only be described as a pint of slops.
The service in the Zest Bar wasn’t much better, on the Saturday I ordered a kids meal for my 3 year old and despite appearing not too busy, it took over 30mins to arrive an ice cream for his dessert also took a ridiculous amount of time to be served. This standard of service was repeated on the Sunday when my wife and older son ordered a burger and some sandwiches, followed by a wait of almost an hour for an ice cream, which only came after we inquired as to it’s whereabouts.
The Forest of Arden is a nice hotel, but too many examples of poor service would put me off staying there again.

3 Thank goonersid
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay.

We appreciate your positive feedback about rooms, breakfast, welcoming staff and leisure club. However, I would like to sincerely apologise for the service issues you had at our bars and reception. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction and I have shared your feedback with our team.

Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future.

Ankur Ahuja
Director of Rooms Operations, Forest of Arden, a Marriott Hotel and Country Club
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had an overnight stay last weekend and we thought this was an excellent hotel. Nice welcome and a big double room. We liked both bars and they each had their own atmosphere. Fantastic breakfast. Late at night we asked for some more tea bags and (cheekily) biscuits. Within ten minutes somebody had arrived at the room with the tea bags and several packets of bisuits. Thanks, they were just what we needed.
As a previous reviewer has noted this is a perfect hotel for golfers or weddings. We arrived on one of the warmest sunniest days of the year and the hotel grounds/golf course looked spectacular. We asked at reception if there was a part of the grounds we could go for a walk. We were asked to keep off the golf course but were directed to a nature walk indicated by yellow marker posts. Unfortunately the pathway was overgrown with stinging nettles and was v muddy so we had to abandon our expedition. This was in contrast to the golf course which was immaculate.It would be nice if this nature walk could be better maintained so that non-golfers have somewhere to walk. We did notice the tennis courts which I am sure hotel guests could use.
The following morning we were up early so we decided to go for a run around the edge of the golf course being careful to keep out of the way of the golfers. Nobody seemed to mind. We then had a swim in the pool which is actually one of the better hotel pools I have used. The steam room and jacuzzi were perfect.
So overall we enjoyed our stay in this luxurious hotel and would definately book it again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your compliments regarding our hotel and service. I am very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you as well for your feedback regarding the nature trail.

I have passed feedback comments to our team and would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We travel a lot and love, like everyone, a great bit of dedicated service and here we were welcomed by 'Phil' one of the best concierge's we have come across, Phil is only pipped into second place by the Savoy, so that's saying something...

As Marriott Elite Card Holders (recommended), we got such a warm welcome and super service, including all our kit from car to room, a full room tour and even an offer to put the kettle on for tea, (that's near on butler service.) amazing and thank you Phil...

We have a great room, nice golf course view and best of all the Marriott lived up to their promise that if we found the room cheaper than anywhere else they would match the deal and give us 25% off. Now we are avid hotel visitors so i went straight to the Marriott website and booked a two night stay for £214 witha full guarantee we would not get it cheaper... Just out of interest after booking I checked Booking.com and found it cheaper. All I then did was fill out the form and within an hour their promise was fulfilled, they matched the price and gave a 25% discount as well - Great job Marriott...

I am so impressed I am writing this from my room, hold on room service has just arrived!!!

OK it's confirmed we love this place...

Trust you do too...

Tony Vee

Room Tip: Get a Marriott reward card, that way they automatically give you the best room...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Anthony V
Thank you very much for your compliments regarding our hotel and service, especially Phil, our concierge. I am very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed your feedback to Phil and he is delighted. Thank you once again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night, dinner and a round of golf on the Arden. The hotel is ok, a little jaded, but the reception staff first class. However, the food and service in the Zest bar and cafe was dire - 45 minutes to have two salads delivered, one had to go back as it had lumps of plastic in it, it reappeared 15 minutes later, no dressing which grumpily appeared in a chipped bowl with no spoon and by a waiter who clearly wanted to be in any other job than this one. Everything to do with the golf course was very good. Dinner pretty average and disorganised service, but the breakfast manager clearly on top of his game. Conclusion variable, and would struggle to return.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Peter,

I would like to thank you for your feedback. I am happy to read that you appreciate service from our reception team and breakfast manager and were happy with Golf.

I note your feedback regarding poor quality of food and service in Zest Restaurant and have shared it with the team. I would like to apologise for it. We are committed to provide excellent experience to our guests and your feedback would assist us in our commitment to exceed our guest expectations.

I would like to apologise again and hope that you will reconsider us for a stay in future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I booked and travelled to this hotel on the same day as I needed to be at the airport early the following day. The rate for the same day was competitive.

The hotel itself is a mere 3 miles or less than 10 minute drive to the airport which is very handy. I was able to relax in the afternoon and grab a bite to eat before the airport run. The location is rural with zero aircraft noise.

Upon arrival I was greated with a great smile and service by Amy (thank you!). My MR Gold status was recognised and I was given a choice of welcome gifts plus two complimentary drinks vouchers to use at one of the bars. Within 10 minutes of arriving in my room the welcome gift (a bottle of wine) arrived - a nice touch.

The room was airy, clean and fully functional - as was the bathroom. The bed is what you would expect from a Marriott hotel and I was able to get a good nights rest.

Due to a wedding I decided against eating in the Oaks bar due to the wedding party taking over the whole bar. I grabbed a burger and drink at Zest which faces the 18th hole of the Golf course. The outside seating area was popular as it was a sunny evening.

Having read reports of the pool being in worse condition than a public swimming baths I would have to disagree. The pool and the pool areas were spotless.

Breakfast was complimentary for us and it was a great selection of continental, juices and fully cooked breakfast options with a manned omlette station and kids breakfast section. I must thank Maria for such an attentive service, she even went as far as topping up our fruit juices from our table.

Onsite parking is free.

As a frequent traveller I would definitely consider using the stay, park and fly rates next time I use Birmingham Internation Airport for travel.

If I was to suggest any recommendations for improvement, I would say improve the flavour of the scrambled eggs on the breakfast buffet, replace the tired cheap looking benches around the pool and improve the sound deadening in corridors (some guests are oblivious to other guests that may be sleeping in the rooms that they are talking outside of).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ajlowe444
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 117 in Birmingham
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!