Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #30 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
UK
“Rip off”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

£15 for Internet access in the room.
£40 for a golf buggy per round
£4.25 for a normal sized cappuccino in zest bar.
No complimentary bottled water in room.
Food in oak restaurant awful. Carvery first night, only beef, lamb left at 8.45. Dried up swede and soggy roast potatoes.
Tried to change to ale carte 2 nd night but told we had to pay full cost, no allowance given against costs we had already paid for evening meal.
No more Marriotts for me !!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank UkKennedy
AAFOA, Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As part of our golf package, we provide carvery in the main restaurant. I would like to apologise that you found some of our food offering to be of poor quality and I have shared this feedback with our kitchen team. We have to plan our purchasing and preparation for the required number of guests having buffet in advance and if guests then wish to change to another option on the day, it would result in wastage of food. I am sorry if this wasn’t explained to you.

Our prices for services you have mentioned are comparable to hotels similar to us in the local area and in line with other Marriott Hotels. We are committed to provide excellent experience to our guests and I am sorry once again that we haven’t met your expectations.

I sincerely hope that you will reconsider us on the future. If I may be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Ankur Ahuja
Director of Rooms Operations, Forest of Arden, a Marriott Hotel and Country Club

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Turkish first
wolverhampton
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for the weekend, for anniversary celebration, ate in the zest bar which was very good quality although very busy, after a days spa and golf all four of us went to oak room for a meal, although it was nine o-clock when we finally got to eat, the food was of very poor quality and not much choice and if it had not been so late we would have left and gone into city to fid somewhere better.There were two weddings and a summer ball on at the hotel and the bar area became very rowdy late at night, my frinds room was near the lift on the third floor and they were disturbed frequently we had quite a walk to our room but it was a lot quieter. Rooms were very clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: if you want a quiet room be prepare to have a long walk to room,
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Awesome and quick Checkin as we did the new Marriott app mobile check in . Keys and room already .... Efficient check in very knowledgeable lady ... We had dinner included in our package which I had assumed we had to take on the first night - but she said they weren't full so we could choose - so we picked our last night of the 2 which was a nice touch ... Also free wifi for silver members at this resort now which enhanced the experiences as I know that although well sign posted on the web at £15 per day for us both it would have cost £60 and been tough to swallow ! So top job Marriott on this !

Jade who looked after us in the restaurant was outstanding . She was not only engaging with us , showed great interest in us and a great sense of humour - but she took the initiative of removing the £6 surcharge from my steak that had to be re done .... She even offered my wife to hold her dinner till mine was ready ... Rare now when someone takes this initiative - not only that she controlled the dining room checking in on all tables ! A true professional ! Also the bar supervisor - Aditio I think ? Again showed a genuine interest in us and asked why we were here - I said our 10 yr Anniversary - with that he brought us a complementary night cap ! So impressed I've spoken to 4 friends and we are having out next get together at the Forest of Arden ! Our house keeper for our room 110 for the 2 days (check on on sat 12th ) was so cheerful - she couldn't do enough ! I asked for another robe she virtually ran to get one - a lovely lady that I hope is recognised ... She wasn't around when we finally left so I couldn't get her name !

Only 2 negatives were no fridge or mini bar in the room which would have been helpful and no "do not disturb sign " so our first lay in went out the window at 8.30 and 9.30 with housekeeping .... This has been a previous complaint so the DND signs obviously going missing and not being checked ...

Stayed July 2014
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

came home yesterday from the marriott hotel in the forest of arden ,after a fabulous 2 night break
break
the hotel is set in beautifull surroundings the food is amazing we ate in the oaks grill restaurant on both nights ,and could not fault the food
the staff went out of there way to make sure you were comfortable in every way ,
especially jade from the oaks grill restaurant ,we were booked for a meal in the restaurant on the friday night ,and because it was excellant we asked if we could eat there on the saturday ,but were told is was fully booked ,and then jade did some juggling around and got us a table for the saturday ,thank you jade , we were in room 338 overlooking a lovely courtyard ,the room was great ,it had everything we needed ,and it was in a quiet area of the hotel ,all in all the weekend was wonderfull ,fully enjoyed by my husband and myself ,

Room Tip: room 338 overlooking the courtyard ,is very quiet ,
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Forest Of Arden in November last year and had an unsatisfactory stay.
Please see my previous review.
The Manager invited me back, and gave my Girlfriend and I, a complimentary nights stay with breakfast.
I have to say, this was a much better stay.
We were given a room overlooking the golf course.
Although, compact, it was very nice, with a large bathroom and all amenities you would expect from a Marriott. The bed was one of the comfiest we have slept in, and we felt 'at home'.
We eat in the Zest Bar both in the afternoon for a late lunch, and in the evening. The food and service, from the staff in that bar was very good.
We had Duck Hoisin wraps in the afternoon with a couple of leisurely drinks, and that kept us satisfied until we eat at about 8.30pm.
We had no problem getting a table, and got a prime view for one of the World Cup matches. There was a friendly atmosphere, and we were relaxed. The Marriott Burger was very filling, and one of our favourite sides garlic bread and cheese, also didn't disappoint.
My Girlfriend enjoyed her Pasta.
We received table service for drinks, and the staff were very friendly and attentive.
I would say the menu could do with a few starters such as the excellent Pâté they used to offer.
The Zest Bar did close around 11pm, but they left the football on for us to watch, and we retired into the Oaks Bar for a late drink.
The Oaks Bar is quite cosy and was still serving when we left about 12.30am. We had room service breakfast in the morning, and it was one of the best fry ups I have had in a long time. It was delivered on time by friendly staff.
The Continental breakfast was also of a high standard.
Reception kindly booked us a taxi to take us to the NEC train station (about 5 miles from Hotel)
Needless to say we took advantage of the standard late checkout of Midday.
The checkout at Reception was also smooth.
To sum up, we enjoyed a much needed break away from the stresses of work. This stay restored my faith in the Hotel. Although it is a bit out of our way location wise, we do hope that we are able to return in the future.

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel on 3 different occasions.. It is very good, fab breakfast buffet every morning, very nice pool and gym, rooms are spotless, a choice of bars, the zest Restaurant is casual always busy and a grat choice for all the family, hotel is very well located for Birmingham airport , nec , Cadbury world , Solihull are all just minutes away,,, Phil the porter is a legend, ......Conor from Ireland

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandrafla
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed one night on business ahead of an event at the NEC. It was the evening when England played their final World Cup match and the Zest Bar was busy with a good atmosphere, good food and drinks - attentive service.

The room was spacious, well appointed, but the most significant aspect of this hotel is it's location.

Unlike the NEC hotels that are real workhorse establishments, you can unwind at the Forest Of Arden. The hotel is in countryside, set on a golf course. Whilst I am not a golfer myself, the course has held high level events over the years, featuring household names.

Whether on business or leisure, you should not be disappointed with your stay. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 117 in Birmingham
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!