“Forest of Arden Resort”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at this resort as part of a weekend in Birmingham. It is primarliy a golf complex and conference/ wedding resort, very much along American lines. We found it to be excellent value, providing good service for the money paid.

In particular ADITYA in the bar restaurant deserves special recognition: The meal we'd ordered (BBQ spare ribs) were terrible, but Aditya dealt with the issue and changed our order, with no hesitation.
The swimming pool is a bit tired, and the rooms do not have mini-bar. Apart from that, a good place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank David S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,504)

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I've stayed here several times, often for 5 days at a time for work. The rooms are adequate if not a little small but the corridors can be quite rowdy if there are large meetings/conferences happening at the same time. The food here is quite good and I've always experienced a good selection. I would recommend this hotel for business travellers but I feel it lacks any special touches for those wishing to stay for anything other than somewhere to rest your head at night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2014

this is probably the worst Marriott hotel that I have ever stayed in my life so far, when there's such a brand you expect a certain quality, when you charge a double twin room for £159 per night in the middle of nowhere. One would expect there are things to keep the good review and return custom other than the golf....

on this occasion, we chose this hotel on its review merit for our young family short break to Cadburys world. So I saw the deal from Hotel.com and the cash back I would receive but I though let me offer the benefit of doubt to the group and ask whether they can match the deal themselves to avoid commission to 3rd party. however they couldn't so I book through hotel.com instead.

upon arrival, we were warmly welcome by the porter who I have to say exceptional with his energy of making you feel at home but the poorly trained and inexperience of the check-in receptionist was so disappointing that even the warmth he has built was not enough to compensate. she started off to show no experience in the check in system where she kept telling her colleague that she can't check us in, further so that she was more interested in what my 2 yrs old doing than checking us in. Then she confirm that we are book in for room only rate which I corrected her that we have booked for breakfast and offering to show her the booking confirmation I have received from Hotel.com to confirm otherwise. This then took on further waiting for her to search through the system then further offering to show her our confirmation email for her to confirm.

We then asked for a late check out till 2 p.m. if poss as we have booked to Cadburys world at 3 p.m. so my little one can enjoy another swim in the morning, which they said its not a problem but they fail to adjust the room key to remain active till 2 p.m. then in the morning after our swim we were locked out & I would have to go to the front desk looking like a drab to unlock the key to get into our room.

As per the room, one would expect from a 4* hotel and a Marriott there will be all the in room amenities i.e. bath rope, slippers, well non of that were there, we have put special note for extra towels, well not there either. So I then have to make a call to housekeeping to arrange to have all these deliver. The room itself needs freshen up as the carpet smells....

All in all, such disappointment and for the price we paid feels like a total rip-off.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank peggy020
Atul K, Front Office Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us on our tripadvisor page.

I can understand from your feedback that there were issues with not able to match the price which was showing on other website with other promotion and I would like to confirm that we ensure to provide best price promise from our Marriott website to all our guest who can come from any medium.

I am delighted that you received warm welcome from out team and please be assured that our aim is to ensure we can provide guest with preferred room types you requested and the delay was only to make your stay comfortable for your family. Though as you were not updated on the same please be assured that we will look into our process to make it more streamline.
I would like to once again thank you for providing further feedback on product and this will help us deliver experience which we are proud and committed to provide.

We hope we can welcome you back in future and advise me if I can be of assistance in future.

Yours sincerely,

Atul Kankrej
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Went on one of their golf packages; round of golf, dinner, bed and breakfast for £150. It's a quality hotel, decent building, good fixtures and fittings, large comfy double beds. Staff were polite and helpful. The golf course was good. Evening meal was buffet style but good quality. Breakfast Was the same, but had a wide range, including full english, continental, and cold meats. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will go back again. He negatives, which are negligible, were : have to pay either £6 an hour or £15 per day for wi-fi, would expect it to be free in this type of hotel. Golf carts were £40 each to rent. The over-the-bath shower would not switch off when i just wanted to run a bath, so had to fill i partly with the shower, and the quality of the courtesy showergel and shampoo was poor.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jonny84
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Our room was very spacious and had everything we needed. Staff were helpful and polite. The only criticism we have was noise from neighbouring rooms. We had a locked joining door and you could hear conversations from the room next door.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have to admit I do like Marriott hotels, primarily for their comfy beds. Staying at the Forest of Arden for a corporate golfing trip was as expected...clean , comfortable with all mod cons. The room was a wee bit stuffy and could do with some air con (possibly expected in a level of this hotel)

Some pros and cons though. The food was a bit patchy. Average in the Zest bar, not bad in the main restaurant. Breakfast was pretty tasty with a good selection.

What I do not understand though is why hotels such as this give you free tea and coffee in your room but want to charge an exorbitant amount when you go to one of their bars. In the Zest bar I was charged GBP 3.50 for a standard coffee, which is really a bit of a nonsense! This can be extended to the wi-fi (one of my pet hates). You can get it free in the public areas, but as soon you go to your room, you have to pay a really high fee.

On a positive side the service was good and friendly.

From a golfing perspective the course was almost perfect (although I wish my golf was). I found it a bit long and tiring in the heat, but seeing the wildlife (geese, swans squirrels, small deer just grazing) as you walk though was pretty amazing.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed 3 nights over a busy weekend and was positively impressed with the location and facilities at this golfing and country house hotel. As I expected the venue was popular for weddings and also stag and hen parties. This became more of a problem as the weekend went on.

The rooms were well appointed and clean and everything you would expect from a hotel of this standard, nothing really special but very typical of the chain.

I was visiting friends in the area so didn't eat here, but the Sandwich I ordered in the bar was fine even if the service on a busy Friday afternoon was a bit hit and miss.

The only real problem I had was a bunch of drunk and quite rowdy guests on a stag party from Barnsley late on the Sunday night. Although the bar had closed they continued to drink and sing on the golf course just under my room until well past two in the morning. I have no issue with people having a good time up until midnight but the hotel management needed to be more pro-active in managing this situation on behalf of other guests in the early hours of Monday morning. I had to leave the hotel very early 0615 the following day and did not have the opportunity to discuss this with the senior management team at the time.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the golf course during busy weekends.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Hugh B
Atul K, Front Office Manager at Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and providing feedback on your experience.

We are happy to learn from your comments that you are impressed with the location and golf facilities though I am disappointed that we did not manage to make your stay a memorable one. We take great pride in providing exceptional service and product and please be assured that your feedback will help us in improving our guest satisfaction.

We hope to welcome in future and thank you once again for reviewing us on tripadvisor.

Yours sincerely,