“I expected more”

Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 13 February 2010

Elegantly decorated room, of similar size to a premier inn but it appeared small because the bed was kingsize, with a dark wood headboard which tended to dominate the space. Flat screen TV with a good choice of pay films.

Mixed feelings about service. The porter was very attentive, to the extent that we almost felt smothered.
I had to go down to breakfast towards the end of the service as my massage had been scheduled for 9am, maybe because of this staff at breakfast seemed a little rushed and off hand. At lunch, staff in the Zest bar left us with a menu and promptly forgot about us. We hadn't realised that there would be a large screen TV with sport playing in there, which meant that we were soon joined by a very noisy table of golfers.

The fine dining Oaks restaurant menu is large and so its difficult to have a romantic dinner for two in there -not helped by the fact that it was freezing all weekend. I had to nip back to the room for a warm jumper and one guest wore her coat. The evening menu was brief to the extent that it didn't explain how things would be cooked and served, which meant we had a few surprises - and somehow they managed to remove a lot of the taste. The Rose and Crown in Meriden nearby was well worth a visit for some very tasty pub grub and a personable waiter.

On the second morning we paid a few pounds extra to have breakfast delivered by room service - it was well worth it as there is more choice on the room service breakfast menu, the tray was beautifully laid - and with extra muffins that we hadn't asked for.

The spa treatment area was lovely if a little small, and there were no signposts to say where it was so I had to ask the way a few times - creating a bit of a panic about getting to my massage appointment with minutes to spare. The pool area was light and spacious, but I was disappointed that the water depth was more suitable to a children's pool. A good large steam room which had a strange rythmical booming noice - maybe from the equipment.

We had gone there for a relaxed and romantic spa experience but because of these problems we didn't feel very relaxed. Our experience was OK, but it wasn't cheap and I was expecting more.
However the scenery and setting are lovely - you would'nt know that Birmingham centre is under half an hour away.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rose2009_9
Write a ReviewReviews (1,543)

Reviewed 7 February 2010

The level of noise from the corridors has to be heard ro be believed.
After spending friday and saturday night at the hotel we were kept awake on both nights until 5am - It was unbelievably bad.
On checking in the receptionist looked over at my wife of 21 years and asked f this was miss someone or other? Pardon? That is my wife as it says on the booking - are you trying to get me divorced? maybe a sorry then? Hardly at all.
On checking out the receptionist didnt even ask if we had enjoyed our stay - very telling to me - probably because so many others would of told her no!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2010

Typical visit after a busy day at the NEC, chosen as a luxury night after the show finished. Marriott seem to have adopted an awkward system that means its very difficult to get hold of the actual hotel, no matter what button you press, you end up in central reservations and therefore the continuity of any conversation is impossible. I imagine many people give up long before they stay. Cold bedroom, in fact cold hotel, heating controls in room broken, duty manager uninterested. At dinner my guest asked for Mash with his meal, even though it was on another dish, we were told NO. When asking if I had heard correctly the young waitress explained she had already asked the chef for someone else and was told NO. I asked that the chef be told that I dont do NO, and we duly got the mash, however the attitude spoke volumes. Alarm call asked for 8.15 so that I could enjoy a lay in, instead we received 4 alarm calls from 6.15 to 6.20. Unfortunately I didnt realise until dressed and showered. When I complained I was told that we did not receive any alarm calls. Great, rather than apologise, argue that the customer does not know what he is talking about.
I got the clear impression that the hotel was run by the staff for the staff. A huge disappointment and a real let down for the brand, =which in the USA is reliably good. I will avoid the brand in n the UK at all costs. I think their location has led to complacency.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank JammySteve
Reviewed 30 January 2010

A great stay, lovely and clean ,food was very good.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2010

For a get together with friends from around the country this location and venue is perfect.

Our check in was smooth and our room was clean, modern and comfortable.

We used the pool area - the pool is huge by hotel standards but it was a little on the cool side as was the air temp, I didn't use the spa pool as it looked as though it needed a bit of a clean.

Breakfast was excellent. Making a couple of requests were no trouble to the staff who dealt with them very quickly.

We checked out just as everybody else was, the service was very slow, this was a low point of our stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2009

Stayed here as we had business in Birmingham. This Hotel is ideal if you are doing business or playing golf, it may have a different atmosphere at weekends but it did not appear to be suitable for families or for leisure breaks. It was full of people holding meetings in the bar area. The Bedroom and Bathroom were clean, acceptable, not fantastic. The rate we paid was top end. We had dinner in the Oaks restaurant, the meal was excellent and exceeded our expectations. Convenient location for Birmingham.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Thank Fussy!!England
Reviewed 20 September 2009

My boyfriend got this for my 30th.
We had a beautiful room, spa treatments, dinner and breakfast as part of a package. I have to say all of which lived up to my expectations and better. The room was amazing, really really big bed, and not two doubles stuck together like you sometimes get at hotels. The spa had a relaxation room and the treatments were good quality, great service and great value. I may pop in from time to time, and its definately my birthday gift to my girlie friends for the foreseable.
The dinner was a little pretentious but great flavour and it did fill me up, i thought this is going to be over priced and rubbish, but it was amazing, a really good meal. They also runa buffet dinner which is £25 per head, my boyfriend had that an i have to say it was very very good quality, fresh caesar salad made in front of you, and same for the curry dish you decide what goes into it. great selection of starters on top plus at least 6 deserts to choose from.

There were two weddings on there at the same time, and you dont feel as if you are imposing, and you feel a very important guest with great customer service. I called reception, they used the booking name to address me, other hotels do that, and i always like that touch...

I will stay again...and again...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 118 in Birmingham
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!