“Nice Country Club Feel”

Ranked #32 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Glasgow
“Nice Country Club Feel”
Reviewed 27 March 2010

Stayed here for a company event and the staff and the staff and surroundings could not have been nicer. This is primarily a golfing hotel but equally has some great Spa facilities and an excellent selection of different lounges and restuarants that range from formal to informal.

The rooms were of a good standard with huge beds and 32" lcd screens, and the bathrooms were also of a good standard.

I can't say I have a bad word and even when I said I was leaving early, the reception staff bent over backwards to try and provide me with a breakfast pre 7am.

Would recommend it to anyone visiting the area, and a great place for the golfer to take his wife and family as there are plenty of these to do whilst they are out on the course

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank gazburns

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Turkish first
English in England
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Here are the facts:
It is set on a golf course in the countryside. It is away from chavvy people, so a perfect half term break. The pool is of a good size, a little too cold but at prime time swimming, at half 4pm, HALF of the pool was closed off...for a 2 year olds' swimming lesson. The steam room,sauna and jacuzzi are all in the same room as the pool, are quite nice and have civilised people in-i.e. not chatting loudly when others are relaxing. The pool and changing rooms are a little run down, as is the showering area. It is a quiet hotel,and the Oaks Grill Bar and Resturaunt was very nice and the staff very helpful, although at breakfast it is EXTREMLY busy. The rooms are of a good size with good bed, quite large flatscreen TV with most freeview channels. The bathrooms have a little mould round the edges, and the baths are not wide like I am used to. The whole hotel was clean though, and the grounds lovely. The staff seemed friendly, and room service was delivered very soon after ordering, although it was cold.We dont do golf,and obviously the course is closed due to snow, but apparently it is a very good one. Overall I'd say great for a wedding reception, or just a 1/2 night getaway. :)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank iloveengland202
N London
Reviewed 14 February 2010

We have just returned from a one night stay with 6 friends, golf/spa weekend. the check in was quick and smooth, and we were allowed into our rooms at 11 a.m., which was a bonus.

The room was lovely, big bed, very comfortable, overlooking the courtyard.

The golfers were very happy with both courses, one was rather noisy with traffic from the M6, and the other was more challenging, with deer roaming about.

The dinner and breakfast were excellent, great menu in the restaurant and very generous helpings! The snacks in the bar were delicious too.

The service from every single member of staff was first class, nothing too much trouble.

The pool area was very nice, loungers round the pool for relaxing. The jacuzzi seemed to have rather a high quantity of chlorine in it.

The ladies in the group all had a spa treatment. Unfortunatley one of the therapists was absent due to sickness, but they were very accomodating and this didn't spoil the visit at all.

One area for improvement - we wanted to go for a walk as it was a lovely sunny day, but were told that we were unable to walk near the golf course, and another route didn't seem to be available?

I think that a walking map for non-golfers should be available. This has been offered at other golf/spa hotels that we have visited.

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for a golf/spa weekend, very relaxing, easy to find, not far off the M6 motorway, a great getawayfromitall place!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank tapgirl
Loughborough, Leicestershire
Reviewed 13 February 2010

Elegantly decorated room, of similar size to a premier inn but it appeared small because the bed was kingsize, with a dark wood headboard which tended to dominate the space. Flat screen TV with a good choice of pay films.

Mixed feelings about service. The porter was very attentive, to the extent that we almost felt smothered.
I had to go down to breakfast towards the end of the service as my massage had been scheduled for 9am, maybe because of this staff at breakfast seemed a little rushed and off hand. At lunch, staff in the Zest bar left us with a menu and promptly forgot about us. We hadn't realised that there would be a large screen TV with sport playing in there, which meant that we were soon joined by a very noisy table of golfers.

The fine dining Oaks restaurant menu is large and so its difficult to have a romantic dinner for two in there -not helped by the fact that it was freezing all weekend. I had to nip back to the room for a warm jumper and one guest wore her coat. The evening menu was brief to the extent that it didn't explain how things would be cooked and served, which meant we had a few surprises - and somehow they managed to remove a lot of the taste. The Rose and Crown in Meriden nearby was well worth a visit for some very tasty pub grub and a personable waiter.

On the second morning we paid a few pounds extra to have breakfast delivered by room service - it was well worth it as there is more choice on the room service breakfast menu, the tray was beautifully laid - and with extra muffins that we hadn't asked for.

The spa treatment area was lovely if a little small, and there were no signposts to say where it was so I had to ask the way a few times - creating a bit of a panic about getting to my massage appointment with minutes to spare. The pool area was light and spacious, but I was disappointed that the water depth was more suitable to a children's pool. A good large steam room which had a strange rythmical booming noice - maybe from the equipment.

We had gone there for a relaxed and romantic spa experience but because of these problems we didn't feel very relaxed. Our experience was OK, but it wasn't cheap and I was expecting more.
However the scenery and setting are lovely - you would'nt know that Birmingham centre is under half an hour away.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rose2009_9
Kent
Reviewed 7 February 2010

The level of noise from the corridors has to be heard ro be believed.
After spending friday and saturday night at the hotel we were kept awake on both nights until 5am - It was unbelievably bad.
On checking in the receptionist looked over at my wife of 21 years and asked f this was miss someone or other? Pardon? That is my wife as it says on the booking - are you trying to get me divorced? maybe a sorry then? Hardly at all.
On checking out the receptionist didnt even ask if we had enjoyed our stay - very telling to me - probably because so many others would of told her no!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Bath
Reviewed 6 February 2010

Typical visit after a busy day at the NEC, chosen as a luxury night after the show finished. Marriott seem to have adopted an awkward system that means its very difficult to get hold of the actual hotel, no matter what button you press, you end up in central reservations and therefore the continuity of any conversation is impossible. I imagine many people give up long before they stay. Cold bedroom, in fact cold hotel, heating controls in room broken, duty manager uninterested. At dinner my guest asked for Mash with his meal, even though it was on another dish, we were told NO. When asking if I had heard correctly the young waitress explained she had already asked the chef for someone else and was told NO. I asked that the chef be told that I dont do NO, and we duly got the mash, however the attitude spoke volumes. Alarm call asked for 8.15 so that I could enjoy a lay in, instead we received 4 alarm calls from 6.15 to 6.20. Unfortunately I didnt realise until dressed and showered. When I complained I was told that we did not receive any alarm calls. Great, rather than apologise, argue that the customer does not know what he is talking about.
I got the clear impression that the hotel was run by the staff for the staff. A huge disappointment and a real let down for the brand, =which in the USA is reliably good. I will avoid the brand in n the UK at all costs. I think their location has led to complacency.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank JammySteve
UK
Reviewed 30 January 2010

A great stay, lovely and clean ,food was very good.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#8 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Marriott Forest of Arden Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!