“New Years Eve at indigo, the cube birmingham”

Hotel Indigo Birmingham
Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Me and my fiance spent New Years at hotel Indigo in the cube. The hotel is modern, colourful, clean and we had a very pleasant stay. Nice big, comfortable bed with lot's of pillows.
We were unable to eat at Marco Pierre White's restaurant as it was fully booked so we ate elsewhere and then came back and enjoyed drinks in the indigo lounge which was part of the restaurant and it was amazing. It is on the 25th floor and the views are amazing. The bar is really nice and the decor, lighting made it the ideal place to have a drink to bring in the new year. The staff are really helpful and friendly. Breakfast was really nice, we couldn't fault it. We will be staying there gain in the new year.

The only negative was that our room was quite small and we felt that they hadn't made best use of the space when designing it. There were 2 windows that were long small in width and in between them was a pillar/wall sticking out into the room. It would have been better it that had been knocked out and the window went right along. I am not sure if all the rooms are like this though.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
TINA K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. December was a particularly busy period in Marco's, we have now allocated tables for residents staying in the hotel to avoid any disappointment. In regards to bedrooms, because of the unique shape and style of The Cube building, we have different room sizes. I would like on your next visit to allocate you a room with floor to ceiling windows, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo Birmingham

Reviewed 2 January 2012

This hotel has only been open three weeks, and whilst it's all very new and clean we found the rooms to be cold and clinical, you are greeted with laminent flooring in the bedrooms and modern (strange) decoration, our room was on the 23rd floor and the view was drab and disappointing. The leisure facility had only opened the prior day and you have to leave the cube go outside into the elements (raining) to enter the centre, strange! the staff were friendly but didn't really know what they were doing! We didn't visit the top floor restaurant of Marco Pierre White as it was full for the time we wanted to eat so we visited a local reataurant within the mail box which was ok.

1  Thank Kebuts
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I stayed here with my partner last Monday night 19th December. The hotel is in a great location right next to the Mailbox. Parking for this hotel is amazing! All you have to do is park your car in a box and it gets taken away on a conveyor belt....amazing technology!!!

The Receptionist at check in was friendly, chatty and very helpful. Our room was on the 24th floor. It was very spacious and had fantastic views over the city.

We dined in the Marco Pierre White Restaurant in the evening which is located on the 25th floor with amazing views of the city and beyond, staff were very efficient and friendly. The food was just superb!!!

Would definetly recommend this hotel to anyone, its perfect for couples girls night out etc. We were gutted we didnt get to access the Club & Spa as it wasnt open until December 29th but we will be back very soon in the New Year to experience all the amazing facilities again. I'm amazed at some of the comments below as we had a great experience!!

2  Thank Helen S

Thank you for your positive feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The Club and Spa is now open so we hope you will come back and experience the facilities in the near future.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We stayed here one night after booking on the special £99 room rate (including breakfast)

We had come for the Marco steakhouse on the 25th floor and I have to say it was a fabulous experience.

Hotel is clearly a big chain trying to offer a boutique offering. I think it works as long as you take it on that basis. It is not in the same league as say Hotel du Vin (in terms of style) but value wise it certainly exceeds.

When we went the pool had not yet opened. We stayed on the 23rd floor with great views of Birmingham (see photos).

Bed was comfy and room clean. The only criticism I would make would be that breakfast was a little limited in terms of continental breakfast.

The car parking was highly unusual. You literally had to park your car in a box which then took your car underground on a conveyor belt!

Overall a good experience and Marcos restaurant is sensational!

• Stayed: December 2011

Glad you took advantage of our opening offer and enjoyed your stay. The Club and Spa is now open so it will be nice to welcome you back and experience all the facilities we have to offer.
Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

I booked this hotel for boxing night as it was husbands Birthday and we wanted to dine in MPW so it was the ideal base to stay, I made the reservation via email months ago as the reservations system was not up and running, I was quoted £99 bb per room.
On arrival at the hotel the check in was quite slow and I realised that the rate wasincorrect, I pointed this out to the staff member who was very unhelpful and her reponse was well we will need to see the email as proof. I explained that I would be able to forward the email onto to them but not until After the Christmas holidays as it was on my work emails.

The rooms are very nice and modern but the attention to detail on the finishing is terrible I would not expect this shabby finish in a 4 star, there was paint splattered up the wall, chips already in the shower and paint down the toliet pan.

I called down to room service to order some ice, the same receptionist who checked us in brought the ice up to us (Alina) she was very abrupt and informed me that she would be on her own shortly so not to call down to reception again, but if we wanted any further assistance to call MPW.

During check in we wasn't informed of the timings of breakfast, so I called down to reception to ask, Alina once again informed me that my rate did not include breakfast and she was unable to change the system, I explained once again that I had been quoted the above rate and this did infant include the breakfast, I seemed to be fighting a losing battle here.

Alina did inform me that breakfast would be on until 9.30am, I thought this was very early considering it was a bank holiday .

Onto the the resturant, the staff were fantastic although I was told that the resturant was fully booked, but there was only another 5 tables in use, the view was amazing the food ok.

Once our meal was over we still fancied some drinks as the night was still young.... But we was unable to drink in the bar area as they was closing up 11pm, we asked where's we could drink as we was residents, we was shown the corridor and told we could sit there'd and the night porter (Jason ) would serve us.
Totally shocked at this we was forced to exit the hotel and go for drinks in the mailbox.

I really hope that they get some good staff on board as this is whst is lacking, I don't think that I will be returning, it's such a shame that the hotel put a damper on my husbands birthday .

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Michelle L

I am glad we were able to speak directly about the issues you raised in your review and able to resolve them. As discussed we welcome all feedback and constantly work to improve our guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

Beautiful bright, airy room. Clean, spacious and the bed was
amazingly comfortable.

Good location, the Mailbox is right next door.

Ate in MPW's which was nice but wouldn't maybe be
my first choice in Birmingham as there are some
fantastic restaurants around.

Staff were really helpful and friendly.

Would have preferred a bath to a shower, but that
was the only negative.

Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I stayed here on a Friday night, having made the reservation directly with the hotel before it opened. Overall, I was (and still am) impressed with the quality of the rooms, the location, and the friendliness of the service received. There were one or two issues with my stay that are really just 'teething' problems -but I have to write the review on the basis of my actual stay, not my perception of how it could have been had these issues been fixed.

Location
Hotel Indigo is located on the 24 and 25 floors of the Cube, which is the latest addition to the mailbox complex. It is a 5 minute walk from New St station and can easily be accessed from the motorway network. The Mailbox is an upscale shopping and entertainment area in the city -the mailbox building itself used to be a Royal Mail sorting office, apparently.

By virtue of its location, there are many restaurants and bars right on the hotel's doorstep. Alternatively, a short walk along the canal (not as sinister as it sounds -it's all well-lit and pedestrianised) will bring you out at BrindleyPlace, which is the gateway to Broad St (clubs), the ICC, NIA and sealife centre etc. You'll also find more bars and restaurants in this area. I'd argue that this hotel is much better situated than the Radisson, which is, oddly, in a dodgy area. The Hyatt is right on broad st, which is handy for the ICC and NIA, but the mailbox is a more picturesque location, given the proximity of the canals etc.

First Impressions
The Cube is quite an impressive structure and can't be missed! Once you walk into the building, the hotel is rather anonymously tucked immediately on the left. The only clue I saw that it was Hotel Indigo was a sign saying "concierge" (although when I left, I did notice the huge purple "HOTEL INDIGO" sign, so I was probably approaching from an odd angle or, more likely, being blind!)

The reception area is rather sparse: all the hotel's amenities are located on the 25th floor -so it feels a bit more like checking in at A&E as opposed to a 4* hotel -design wise it's quite underwhelming -but then again, it is a lobby, so I don't know what you'd want...

Check In
I arrived at around 5pm and was immediately welcomed. Unfortunately, they couldn't find my reservation on the system, which might have been a problem given that they were fully booked. Fortunately, they found a blank reservation booked under the name of "hotel", so they gave that room to me. There was also no rate information in the system, but they promised to confirm to me that I was on the pre-agreed rate ASAP.

Room
I was in room 2425 (i.e. 24th floor). The corridors leading to the guest bedrooms are all designed with funky carpets (think colourful cubes -so bring sunglasses for the walk from the lift!)

The room itself was well-appointed: solid wood flooring, exceptionally comfortable bed, work desk with a range of plugs including the ability to plug your devices into the TV etc. There is a floor to ceiling window, which boasted a great view out over the city of Birmingham. I could see literally for miles. At night, the view was probably as good as you're ever going to get considering it's Birmingham. Not quite in the same league as Hong Kong's light show, or Sydney Opera House views, but still an impressive view with the canal network sprawling across the landscape and hills defining the background.

The room had an LG LCD TV with freeview channels along with Sky Sports, a minibar, tea/coffee making facilities, a safe, and plenty of storage space (with proper coathangers). WiFi is free throughout the hotel and exceedingly easy to access. There is also air con, which was responsive: I do think you'd need it as with all of that glass, I can imagine the room being baking in the summer months...

There was also a red chair and footstool -looked lovely, but sit down gently to avoid giving yourself an injury: it's much harder than it looks and is rather uncomfortable!

There is also one direct dial telephone.

My only criticisms of the bedroom (other than the uncomfortable chair) would be that there is insufficient light at the workdesk, and whoever mounted the flatscreen TV on the wall didn't do a great job because you can see the wire hanging below it, which is a shame -but this really is a trivial point.

I also heard quite a bit of corridor noise during the night. This wasn't a problem for me as it was a Friday night. However, had I been due to attend meetings etc the next day, it would have been a problem. It culminated in loud banging on next door's door and laughter.

The bathroom (well, shower room, as there is no bath) was also pleasant. Large walk-in rainforest shower with a separate mobile shower head; funky basin; shaving mirror; heated towel-rail etc. There were two lovely and fluffy bathrobes; two bath towels and four smaller towels along with flannels. Plenty of towels, then! Bathroom amenities were by The White Company (shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and shower gel) plus two bars of branded soap.

All-in-all, I'd say the room was very comfortable and more than adequate for our needs. The style wasn't quite to my taste, but that's personal preference (huge orange wardrobe...and orange wallpaper...all a bit too bright for me, but then again, the hotel is branded as such).

Hotel Facilities
I didn't use the MPW restaurant or champagne bar, so stayed away from level 25. I did, however, try to order room service, but apparently they aren't offering room service at the moment until Jan 1st. Nothing at all, not even sandwiches. This wasn't advertised to me at the time of booking and I wasn't particularly impressed by it. I wanted to get on with work so I ended up going to subway!! The MPW steakhouse was full, so I couldn't actually get any food from the hotel. The location of the hotel means that this really isn't an issue: there's an over-abundance of eateries just outside the hotel, but I would expect a 4* hotel to offer basic room service as a minimum.

There is also a visible security presence in the lobby in the evening which I appreciated -given that members of the public would be going up to the MPW restaurant. I was somewhat surprised that the guest floors aren't key card only as it is possible to walk in off the street and jump in a lift purporting to be going to the restaurant, but to select any of the bedroom levels and get off. This potentially, in my view, is a security risk in that you could walk right up to a guest door without having to show your room key. I just hope they monitor CCTV closely.

Check Out
Checked out just before 11: very friendly experience. Turned out that they were giving me the room for free, given that I was one of the first ones to book the hotel. This was a fantastic gesture, and I will certainly stay there again because of it.

Verdict
The hotel is something a bit different from the run of the mill 4* hotels in Birmingham which have been resting on their laurels. Other hotels in Birmingham to consider include:
Malmaison -also in the mailbox. Also stylish and trendy bar scene, but in need of some TLC now -a bit worn around the edges. Service isn't particularly good.
Hyatt -very corporate feel -certainly no orange in sight and my favourite Birmingham hotel. I still think that the Hyatt is the best hotel in Birmingham. I did initially expect Hotel Indigo to beat it, but I don't think the rooms are quite as well appointed as the Hyatt, and the service, whilst friendly, isn't quite as refined or professional as that I receive at the Hyatt. Having said that, Hotel Indigo is the new kid on the block, and I'm sure with time will also come a more polished service.
Radisson Blu -I don't like the Radisson: it's on a dodgy roundabout in an odd location and has very basic and small rooms.
Hotel du Vin -this hotel is a sister to Malmaison. It is better located for the Jewellery Quarter and St Paul's Square, but is also ok for BridnelyPlace -a 15 minute walk, but a pleasant one. Rooms vary enormously in size, and they seem to be losing their sparkle a little. The bar is very popular with professionals and always has a lively buzz.
Marriott -this is the one hotel I've yet to try in B'ham. Location-wise, it's at the end of Broad Street and is therefore ok for the ICC and NIA, as well as BrindleyPlace. Not so handy really for New St as it's a bit of a trek. Has a stellar reputation.
Crowne Plaza -also in the InterContinental Hotels Group. Looks horrendous from outside, but well-located next to the Mailbox, and has been recently refurbished. Friendly staff and comfortable rooms. It's a solid hotel and normally a bit cheaper than the Mal, but actually better.
Staying Cool @ the Rotunda -these are serviced apartments, some of which have been awarded 5* (the only 5* accommodation in Birmingham). I am again yet to stay in these, but they have received glowing reviews. Location-wise, actually in the Bullring and thus well situated for shopping. BullRing isn't so great for evening entertainment, but the main entertainment areas aren't miles away.

So, at the end of these musings, Hotel Indigo is my 2nd favourite hotel in Birmingham, after the Hyatt. It has friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and a great view. Location is also very good in my view.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view room
5  Thank travelfan199

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are constantly looking to improve on all areas of the hotel.
We now have a full room service menu on offer and tables are reserved in the restaurant especially for hotel guests.
We are also looking at making improvements on our reception area in the very near sure.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.