“Great views - comfortable stay”

Hotel Indigo Birmingham
Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Indigo last Friday and it's true to say that the majority of positive reviews on Tripadvisor are pretty accurate. It's situated on floors 23 and 24 of the new Cube building with Marco Pierre White's restaurant occupies the 25th Floor. Our room on the 24th floor looked out towards Edgbaston cricket ground and beyond towards the Lickey Hills. Our very modern room had flashes of purple (other rooms had different colour schemes) with white walls and wooden floors and an adequately sized bathroom with shower. It was a standard room with a rate of £105 including breakfast at Marco's. The bed was more queen than king but with a very comfortable mattress. The fridge contained complimentary sparkling and still water, 2 cans of fizzy drinks and a kit-kat. Nice touch and the water was very welcome after an evening eating and drinking to excess in the MPW Steak house above.

Other have said that the breakfast is nothing to write home about but we both agreed that it was really good - but I don't really understand why a full English has to come in a towering stack! By the time we had dis-assembled the stack, it looked like any other full english with lovely back bacon, sausages, black pudding, large mushroom, grilled tomato, hash brown and a soldier of fried bread. It was all served piping hot and overall it was as good as it gets. We also helped ourselves to a nice selection of berries, grapefruit and other fruit and various yoghurts and with mixed toast and sorry to say, fairly typical and ordinary hotel type coffee it made for a filling and satisfying start to the day. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful.

The car park is unique and fascinating!

I will review the MPW restaurant seperately but needless to say, it complements the overall style and quality of Hotel Indigo perfectly.

Room Tip: A view over the canals would be more interesting.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Having heard about this new hotel I thought I'd try it for a change when in Birmingham.

My initial impression of this hotel was poor. The male member of staff on reception could not have been less friendly - he hardly spoke to us as we checked in and the whole process made it appear as if we were inconveniencing him. Given I was paying what I feel is a premium price for a night in B'ham (£279) for in a new trendy hotel - I had much higher expectations. I've had better service at a Travelodge. Further interactions with this staff member during my stay resulted in the same negative experience.

The room was nicely appointed - while the bright green finish might not be to everyone's taste, it was contemporary and practical. However, despite being very new the room was showing signs of wear - I suspect the quality fittings to be low. There was significant damage to one of my walls and the door the the balcony was badly sticking.

The bathroom included good quality Aveda products, but I was surprised at this level of hotel that the room had no bath - just a simple shower.

I used the gym which is quite good for a hotel gym - but at present you have to go outside of the building to gain access. I assume this will be resolved once the building is fully open.

The breakfast service was slow and a bit disorganised despite being virtually empty- when my order eventually appeared it was wrong. The quality of the breakfast items should have been better. The view however from the restaurant is great.

Overall, this hotel has the potential to be something special. However during my stay they simply didn't deliver - and overall the value for money was very poor.

2  Thank Richard H
TINA K, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Mr Harris

Thank you for taking the time to post a report on trip advisor, I sincerely apologise that you felt you received poor service on arrival, as you arrived altogether in your group the receptionist was trying to get you all checked in as quickly and efficiently as possible which obviously resulted in a poor first impression. Your feedback is very important to us and has been discussed with the team to ensure that friendliness is not compromised by efficiency.
If i can be of any further help or you would like to discuss any of the issues you raised in further detail please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Great location with close access to all Birmingham has to offer.

Friendly welcome and efficient front desk.

Room on the smaller side for £120, and no bath, but nice waterfall type shower and high quality toiletries. Oddly there is no 'Full Breakfast' room service option, probably something to do with the MPW restaurant upstairs.

Bed was really comfortable and I suppose you pay for sleep really so on that count it was good, the views were also great to wake up to.

Personally at that price point I prefer a bath and a slightly larger room.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank James B
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Came here after a night in the BIrmingham Marriott (see earlier review) and the contrast could not be greater. Large rooms, great views, free high-speed internet (over 10Mbps) with free goodies in the refrigerator, and a Marco Pierre White restaurant on the 25th floor.

1  Thank DylanWadol
Reviewed 14 April 2012

i was staying in birmingham on business, having got fed up with the other hotels in central birmingham i thought i would try out the new one in the mail box.

i was created with a great smile and knowledge by reception and the security guard outside was very helpful pointing me in the right direction, as it is not too obvious where the hotel is.......
i loved my bedroom, quiet, my favourite colour - lime green, was bright and clean and the bed was so comfortable. the sun was shining for a while so i took the opportunity to use the sun bed on the balcony which overlooked the canals. great thought has gone into the design and facilities, there are lots of electric plugs and they are in good positions, e.g. next to the bed so you can plug in your laptop etc. had all the usual facilities - kettle with tea and coffee, robes, mini bar - the differences - complimentary drinks in the fridge - crisps, kit kat, beer, soda and also lots of tv programmes to watch, that work. i had a problem accessing the pay for tv and the wonderful reception staff sorted this out very quickly and in great style.

there is a fantastic spa and gym, small pool but has lots of loafing opportunities e.g. comfy loungers, steam room, saunas, there is a climbing wall and lots of equipment in the gym and classes available. the only thing missing for me was moisturiser in the changing rooms and a spinner to help dry my swimming costume.

so what would i change??? it is a lot more expensive than other similar hotels. mainly around the food and restaurant, marco pierre white on top of the building. the view is great and is comfortable, the breakfast service was slow and confused. I had room service too, which when ordered arrived quickly, but it was difficult to place my order as they did not pick up for ages. Few things were missing e.g. salt and pepper and the chips were cooked in beef fat - not good if you are a vegetarian!!!!!

overall, i highly recommend this hotel, i could have real air and light in my room and pop outside for a walk around the canals, or visit the gym for some exercise, the cafe attached to the spa and gym looked very nice too.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade to have a balcony if you have a favourite colour - ask for that colour
Reviewed 11 April 2012

In fact it'd be quite difficult not to get a view as all the rooms are on the top few floors of The Cube. If you want to see the canal basin, remember to ask for a view of The Mailbox on your booking.

It's fabulous. Pure and simple. Fabulous. Of course if you like grand old-fashioned hotels you'll probably not like this, as this is new, cool, funky and surrounded by nice restaurants. Not that you'll need to worry about where to eat as the best restaurant in the vicinity is Marco Pierre White's steakhouse on the top floor of the hotel. If you stay at this hotel, you MUST eat there!

Finally the car parking. Funky isn't the word. You have to get a key from reception before you try to enter the subterranean complex. So, park your car on the double yellow lines and tpop in to fetch one. Once you're through the barrier and shutters you're in something akin to a James Bond movie. You drive into a what looks like a garage box, leap out, push a few computerised buttons. The garage doors slam, your car is lowered 60 feet into the basement and carted off on a trolley. It'll probably set your alarm off with the movement as the car thinks it's being stolen, but it'll stoop once they stop shifting the pallet it's on. All in all, pretty groovy. Just make sure you don't need you car back in a hurry as this process doesn't happen in ten seconds!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Mailbox.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My partner and I were really looking forward to our stay here as it was our last night before she goes away on a long business trip out of the UK. We arrived and were greeted by some lovely staff members who explained our booking and the parking option. We decided not to pay the £18 parking fee as we were advised that there are no charges on the street during the Bank Holiday weekend. First impressions of the room were great; the modern decor suited our taste and the view was superb. After removing my shoes and walking around the room however I stepped on a large shard of glass which on closer inspection was scattered all around the room. After calling down and asking for a first aid kit a trainee arrived with a dust pan and brush and an apology. She cleaned the floor and mopped up my blood but told me the manager could not locate any plasters which I thought was very odd. The trainee member of staff was very helpful and asked if we wanted to move rooms but after checking I found the room next door to the one offered was having a very loud party so I declined. After an hour a member of house keeping was sent to our room armed with a vacuum but I felt this was very disorganised for such a hotel which charges at this rate. Another hour passed and we were finally offered a complimentary bottle of wine at dinner which we reluctantly accepted.
We have dined at the MPW resturant in the pasted so I knew what I wanted and expected. Our waiter had previously served us as we had dined at the resturant a number of times and he is always witty and helpful. After our meal we went out into Birmingham for some alcohol fuelled shenanigans and arrived back at the hotel at 2:30am. The front desk this time apologised for the unclean room but it was a little too late. The next morning we had a cooked breakfast which was fine but nothing amazing. The views are nice though so it was nice sipping my morning cup of tea looking out on the city. We checked out at 11am and I asked to be emailed regarding the complaint I put in about the room but I'm not sure I will receive any follow up.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank lawrencebham

With reference to your stay on 8th April, As discussed with you on the 10th April I was sorry to hear of your unfortunate incident . I am pleased that we have resolved some of the issues you raised and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.