“Bright, Airy, LOUD, but certainly not a Boutique Hotel...!!!”

Hotel Indigo Birmingham
Ranked #26 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Bright, Airy, LOUD, but certainly not a Boutique Hotel...!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed overnight at Hotel Indigo @ The Cube, Birmingham, UK last weekend (30/06/12) check in was fine & staff very polite.
We got to our room & it was extremely Bright Orange....But we settled in & unpacked. The Room is a Great size & had STUNNING views of Birmingham as we were on the 24th floor. The storage for your toiletries is very poor in the bathroom & a lady will never be able to do her make up in there as it is also Bright Orange & doesn't help at all when trying to do your make up!!
In the fridge, there was complimentary drinks & nibbles....a can of lemonade, diet coke, a bottle of water still & sparkling, a pack of crisps & a half eaten kit kat!!!
Under the most softest bed in the world...which did not suit me I'm afraid, was a VERY dusty floor & a cigarette butt....!!!
The floors in the bedroom are wooden (effect) not bad if the people above or beside you don't stomp around or walk in heels....but they did...VERY NOISY!!! & as the Marco Pierre Restaurant was above us, i think we were below the kitchen as it sounded like somebody was walking around with a trolley most of the night...a lot of rumbling!!
It is a Great location for shopping, & night life. Give it a go!!!

3 Thank Bexappeal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

Before I start as we are suckers for great customer service i must say the say the staff were fantastic and only have praise to say about them! Unfortunately that's where it ends, the designers have tried to make this place cool and funky by making it super minimalistic with bright colours but it's just made it cold and doesn't have the ambiance and atmosphere of similarly priced hotels, the whole stay we just felt like there was a huge ' something missing '. The rooms are so bare and stark, they seem to have spashed bright colours here and there and thought that will do, Wooden floors are a big no no for me in hotels, yet again fails to feel anywhat cosy at all. I really dont rate it any higher than a premier inn but premier inn prices leave you satisfied on value for product. I do feel like I'm being harsh and would it of cost £50-£60 I would of left somewhat satisfied but at £130+ a night I just felt they had had me over a barrel, when told we had a complementary mini bar in the room we were over the moon, until we peaked inside, come on guys I could of found more goodies down the side of a chair! It was a nice touch just add a little more than a coke and a kitkat. As we did I think a lot of people will stay just because the cube is a new development and to see what its all about but I'm sorry to say i dont think there will be much repeat buisness, and I don't give it very long until the prices are drastically slashed! On a positive note the spa was great, really enjoyed a relaxing day and the message my fiancé had was 'fab' ! Will be saving money and enjoying a better experience at our usual the Hyatt on our next night out!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samuel-Westwood
IHGCare, IHG Care at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Dear Samuel-Westwood,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and are happy doing so. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Janice A
IHG Care
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed back in April whilst visiting the MPW restaurant (which was fab!). Having seen the Cube being built for quite a while we were keen to try out the new Indigo.

I booked on-line with advance payment for a balcony room, upon arrival we were checked in and given the key. We shot up in the super fast lift only to discover we'd been given a standard room, certainly no balcony. I had my confirmation and the guy on reception apologised and said he did not know how the error had happened. We were really disapointed, but as they only have about 4 of these types of room and they were all taken they said there was nothing they could do.

They sent us up a free bottle of wine & refunded the difference between the two types of room ( oh and they knocked the parking charge off the bill) but nevertheless it left us with a feeling of disapointment. It wasnt about getting something free we just wanted what we had booked and advance paid for. Its worrying how this can happen and having stayed at various Crowne Plaza's before (and always booked online) ive never had this happen before.

Anyway the room itself was OK, not all that big, and decorated very modern. Its quite stark so not cosy, but the main wow factor is the view from so high up and the floor to ceiling windows - not for the faint hearted! There was a free mini-bar which seems like a nice touch but there was barely anything in it. The bathroom was really nice, new & clean but its worth noting that all the rooms are shower only - no bath. Nice toiletries but very small and not very generous with them!

Car park is very cool, automated as others have mentioned.

Although we were disapointed with the booking mix up, i think its worth staying here once just to experience the views and the car park ! Certainly if eating at MPW its ideal . But i do think you need to be sure to get a good deal, the rooms are not worth some of the prices ive seen but the prices do fluctuate. Dont do the advance payment like i did especially if booking a superior room, be sure you have it before they take your money.

Personally now ive tried it i wouldnt go back, ive had the experience and going forward i'll stay at Hotel du vin which i think is in another league sevice wise and for the quality & size of rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andycat17
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Dear Andycat17,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We appreciate your wonderful comment regarding the view from your room, the bathroom and toiletries.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the booking confusion. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
IHGCare
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Only one night here as part of a conference. I was given a room with a balcony. Absoultely fantastic views of Birmingham and into the center of the cuble building.

Room Tip: Get a balcony if you can.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Ledbury, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Ok, would be the best way to describe this hotel! Admittedly we do stay in nice hotels so maybe our standards are too high but we went to this hotel for my husbands birthday and were just a little bit disappointed. We booked a spa break and an extra night, I say booked but booking was a nightmare. You can't book a spa break online so rang to book, firstly told couldn't book until I had first rang the spa to book the treatment that came with the break, when I asked if they had rooms first was told to ring for treatment first, couldn't put me through had to make separate phone call. Hooping there would be a room available after booking my treatment I did this and rang back. The fact that i e=wanted to book an extra night threw the receptionist into complete confusion! She said she would need to work out how to book it and would ring me back! She did 20 mins later, after a 15 minute phone call she finally understood, I think, but gave me a more expensive price than the advertised one when I told her this she said it was because I was ringing to book and not doing it online, although you cant book it online?!! She said she would ring me back. I didn't get a call back so rang back myself to be told by a different receptionist that she hadn't bothered to do it?!

This receptionist was also confused by my request?! I finally got it booked, and for the right price, they said they would send email confirmation, they didn't.

We decided not to ring again, it was too painful so we just turned up. The (same) girls on receptionist were much more pleasant in person but it was obvious they didn't really know what they were doing, maybe not their fault, maybe lack of training, not sure? More problems awaited as we don't use credit cards, they said we couldn't book in with debit cards, we have stayed all over the world, including credit card capital of the world, America, without problems tried to explain that they could do pre authorisation for however much they needed to on debit card but couldn't understand. With other guests checking in this was rather embarassing, we got checked in but told couldn't use movies etc.

Room was ok, trendy in an IKEA way, not really boutique. Generally clean, few handprints on wardrobe and headprint on windows, but as a holiday let cleaner years ago I know how hard it can be to get rooms really clean in a short time and how easy it is to miss something like that from the wrong angle. Toiletries didnt get re-stocked on second day and with very long hair I had used all conditioner. Also for some reason there was a strong smell of stale cigarette smoke that seemed to come through a/c unit? Just lack of attention to detail really.

Bar and champagne bar well worth a visit, atmosphere and view amazing!Couldn't get into Marco Pierre White booked up until October so worth remembering if going for that reason! Plenty of places to eat in mailbox but more chain like restaurants, not fine dining. Breakfast not up too much, choice of continental or hot from menu but again just ok as was the service. Again staff nice but not well trained, confusion over who was bring tea asking about cooked food etc.

Spa nice, but again lack of attention to detail and bit grubby. Tissues (used) left in changing room cubicle even though cleaner was there the whole time cleaning?! Therapist didn't turn up to show us into couple treatment room so another therapist used their initiative to show us in but we were left waiting about 40 mins. Actual treatment amazing, can def recommend Rasul.

Overall if this hotel was priced similar to Holiday Inn, Premier etc you would know what to expect, as it is slightly overpriced for what it is. I know previous replies are that they are different and quirky but we stayed at Montpellier Chapter Cheltenham which is four star and more quirky but they have nailed everything with impeccable service, food and surroundings.

Room Tip: Feature rooms may be better.
2 Thank Nina S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Dear Nina S,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Hotel Indigo around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations regarding our hotel staff service. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
IHGCare
Derbyshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I have reviewed Marco Pierre Whites excuse of a restaurant but I just wanted to let others know that the Hotel despite obviously having a few teething problems is very stylish, well equipped and brilliantly located. The attached spa and gym is well equipped and comfortable.

Room Tip: Rm 2435 spectacular views with balcony
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

A great experience and a lovely time. We went for our anniversary w/e and were treated exceptionally well. We were upgraded to a superb refreshing new room, that had spectacular views. We had a fabulous meal in the MPW restaurant in the evening and again, had great views over Birmingham. The only gripe really was the service & breakfast the following morning. Despite this, people were always very smiley and helpful. Great stay and would definitely return again.

• Stayed June 2012