“Good location , nice rooms and warm welcome”

Hotel Indigo Birmingham
Ranked #34 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
WEST YORKS
“Good location , nice rooms and warm welcome”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Situated in The Mailbox this chic hotel which had only being open for a year is well worth a stay for its location near to the shops and also the restaurants on the canal.
There is a very good MPW restaurant on the 25th floor which offers excellent views of the city and also on the same floor is a Champagne bar. This is well worth a visit even if you just want a drink as the setting is fantastic and the prices reasonable.
Breakfast is also taken in this restauarant and there is a very good choice and the food was well cooked and there is plenty of choice.
The rooms are very comfortable with a good TV, lovely monsoon shower and very comfortable beds.
There are complimentary snacks and drinks in your room as well.
The hotel was very peaceful and I enjoyed an excellent nights sleep.
Car Parking is underground and you need to go to reception to collect a fob and they will explaing how the underground box system works. It costs £18 for a days parking.
There are good shops within 2 minutes walk.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Suzanna N, Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
Dear AndyK,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.
Happy to see you made the most of our facilities and got a nice warm welcome from my reception staff.
Drop me a line anytime in the future whenever you wish to return and we will be happy to give you another warm welcome back, suzanna.naughton@hotelindigobirmingham.com

Front of House Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
wellington
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Hotel overhaul not bad good location staff friendly nice bar and restaurant room dirty stains on walls toilet dirty, soiled under garments left in draws,dirty bed cover as a gold member not impressed. Would I stay again no.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carol g
Dear Carol G,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us at Hotel Indigo.
I'm glad you enjoyed our facilities, however it is a shame that the room cleanliness let us down, there is no excuse for it clearly poor attention to detail.
I have taken this up with our housekeeping department to ensure they carry out the correct procedure at all times.

Should you wish to give us another try in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly suzanna.naughton@hotelindigobirmingham.com and I will make sure you have a better stay with us.

Reviewed 6 December 2012 via mobile

There is a lot of good things and a few little niggles I could say about this hotel so will start with the positives:

The hotel has great views, it's clearly one of the cities top spots to go for drinks and food and having been to the Liverpool branch of Marco Pierre White this did live up to expectations as the food was just as good. The views are great as noted and so are the staff in the restaurant & bar area. The rooms are nice but on the small side and probably not worth full rack rate £160+ a night I think it was.

Now the negatives of this hotel..it does lack the feeling of a hotel considering it takes up just 3 floors of a 25 floor building and the reception area is lacking in something, maybe it's the fact it shared it with the apartments that are in the building as well.

Now the rooms as I said were on the small side but the sheets I originally had on my bed were marked, now I never said anything to them because working in the industry myself I know it can be embarrassing to bring things like that up- there were marks on the sheets and the pillows are hard and can be uncomfortable for a nights sleep but that's to my preference. I couldn't really speak to the housekeepers either as they find understand me as couldn't really speak amazing English! A little word of advice - do not leav the air con system on while you are sleeping as you will have a dreadful nights sleep!

Now one thing I was shocked at was on my day of departure after going back to my room after breakfast I discovered I had left my key in my room, and saw a staff member walking in the hallway - I asked her if she could reopen my room expecting her to phone reception or at least do some check on me before she opened It, but without hesitation she went straight to my room (2432) and opened it! I could have been anyone! She did have an attitude on her as well as if it was such a hassle to do!

The bar area is quite expensive as expected as is the restaurant but I feel you pay for quality in there.

All in all the hotel was OK but did lack the atmosphere of a hotel, but as everything has it did have negatives and positives so you just have to outweigh them if you decide to visit this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank MattyEFC
Dear MattyEFC,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us, shame it wasn't a better one however,
Apologies regarding your incident with Housekeeping, I have taken this up with the department and have stressed how important it is to take guests security into consideration doesn't matter how busy they are.
Should you wish to stay with us in the future please do not hesitate to contact me suzanna.naughton@hotelindigobirmingham.com

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Positives: Good location for restaurants & shops.
Good size room & bathroom with comfortable bed. (Quirky design.)
Accommodating friendly reception staff ( our original room was close to lift & service room so we asked for a quieter alternative. This was done expediently)
Negatives: Poor reception area.
Housekeeping only completed servicing room at 4pm & trolleys and laundry were left in corridors. Noisy guests in corridors can be heard in rooms.
Breakfast only OK.
In summary: a little pricey for what you get!

2 Thank algern0n
Dear Algern0n,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us at Hotel Indigo.
I'm glad you found my staff very friendly and efficient.

Should you wish to stay with us in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly suzanna.naughton@hotelindigobirmingham.com.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,818 helpful votes
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Stayed here on a Saturday night as I was going out for dinner with some customers nearby. I've stayed at both the Indigo's in London & thought both where great, with that boutique hotel vibe.
Unfortunately, Indigo Birmingham is more like a Premier Inn with different decor & at £180 per night is not good enough.
Parking is a pain & involves parking on double yellow lines while reception try & sort out a place to park, I ended up parking elsewhere & walking. The shared entrance to the hotel is non descript & lacks any good first impression. The lift is painfully slow to the 24th floor & the corridors are littered with housekeeping trolleys & unaccompanied hoovers!
The room itself was ok, not enough toiletries for two & the toilet seat was hanging off. The walls are paper thin, so next door's tv seemed like it was in our room & you could hear guests & cleaning staff talking outside (zero chance of a decent Sunday lie in!).
The bar upstairs has a great view, but on our return it was full of drunken idiots. The lift goes to bedrooms from the bar level, so anybody would have access to the bedroom floors.
Breakfast was painfully slow & very poor quality. Cheap sausage, cheap orange juice, my poached egg was criminally overcooked, grilled tomato was watery & tasteless, mushrooms were boiled & cold, coffee tasted bitter & was luke warm. They also tried to charge me for parking even though I had parked elsewhere!
As you can guess from this review, I won't be staying here again. Malmaison is such a better nearby option & Hotel du Vin is far superior.real disappointment.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs & something for breakfast.better still stay somewhere else
5 Thank Leedsaway67
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Dear Chris H,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am pleased that you have noticed the great view from the bar. Let me also take this opportunity to apologize apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. I have taken note of your comments about the parking area and the room conditions and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I had a one night stay at Hotel Indigo the other night and I was absolutely delighted. Firstly the receptionist Deborah was exceptional - such a friendly nature, efficient, proactive, happy not sullen. If only all front-of-house people could be so good she really was a credit to Hotel Indigo.

The car park was a new one for me - you drive it into a box and it parks it for you! When you come to collect it the car is pointing back in the right direction - very clever but you have to follow the instructions very carefully.

My room was very nice, clean and comfortable with spectacular views across the city. It was quiet, the shower was great and complimentary wireless in the room very quick.

I popped upstairs to Marco Pierre Whites to meet some friends for dinner and we had a fantastic evening. It was busy when we were in but we were well looked after. Our waitress (I think she was called Hannah) was excellent - she knew the menu well, made some great suggestions and was fast. She was also a great personality and I even persuaded her to sing as she has an amazing voice (Cowell should call her!).

At one point, the Head Chef even popped over to say hello and ask if we enjoyed the meal - that does not happen very often nowadays but again was a great touch and much appreciated.

We were not rushed at all and eventually retreated at 1.15am after a superb meal and some excellent wine.

An early start was made more palatable by a great breakfast - generous in size, hot and delicious.

At checkout Deborah was there again with her customary smile and excellent nature. She could not have done enough to help.

In conclusion - great hotel, great food, fantastic views and magnificent staff. Well done to all concerned.

Room Tip: I had room 2428 which had great views.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Suzanna N, Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Dear Richard A,

Many thanks for your review on your recent stay with us.
I'm happy you were well looked after by our staff, specially Deborah my assistant who indeed does have a very warm welcome for all our guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Dublin
Reviewed 21 November 2012

The indigo hotel is located on the canal within easy walking distance of new street station and the bull ring. It's surrounded by restaurants and bars and the area is extremely safe at night. The hotel itself takes up floors 23 to 25 of a lovely piece of architecture. Reception, on the ground floor, was pleasant and quick and the staff were great. The rooms all have fantastic views across the city, are modern and, in our case, warm and comfortable - beds are extraordinarily comfortable. We never ate in the mpw restaurant but did have drinks in the sky bar. Reckon it was about the busiest place in town but served up great cocktails with a smile. Breakfast Sunday was slow and haphazard but it really didn't matter as we were basking in sunshine and poring over the morning papers. Checkout at a ludicrously early hour on Monday morning took seconds and we were on our way . Beautiful hotel, great staff, fab amenities and a good price. What more could you want.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple