“The cube in Birmingham”

Hotel Indigo Birmingham
Ranked #38 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Nice location near the mailbox . Very small rooms not much more nice that the holiday Inn express . Parking first night not available , restaurants all busy , safe box not working check out full of problem . I stay 2 night award and is acceptable but i do not suggest to pay 120 pounds + parking for this hotel . Nice view from the 24 floor , but the restaurant that claim to be luxury looks like a fast food . Not acceptable . I suggest tio use the nice brasilian restaurant on the bottom floor

Room Tip: Top floor have a nice view .
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank paolo b
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear Paolo B
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit to the Hotel.
I am pleased overall that you had a pleasant stay but appreciate the constructive feedback which I will look into with all of my team.
Kind Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Clean hotel everywhere, reception staff pleasant and smiling on arrival and departure, bar was good, plenty of people watching to do. room was clean and refreshingly bright. Breakfast, I had already paid for breakfast when I booked, if I had not and had paid £13.50 and got 1 Sausage 1 Egg 1 Bacon the thinnest piece of black pudding ever, mushrooms, and a big slice of fried tomato to fill the plate up I would not have been happy, however it was very nice. we will be going back.

Room Tip: No tips they will all be good
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Dafman
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent vist and I am pleased that you found the hotel clean, the emplyees pleasant and the overall experience very good.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Having lived in this area for a short time five years ago, it was great to be back and to see The acute finished. It's a stunning building and in a great location behind Mailbox on the canal basin.

Checkin is on the Ground floor and was efficient and friendly.

Our room faced an atrium within the cube structure and didn't have much of a view or a balcony, unlike many other rooms.

The room itself was very stylish and spacious. The mini bar is included but don't get too excited, it only contains a couple of cans of soft drink, small bottles of water, a chocolate bar and crisps - but, still, it is included.

The only downside of the room was that we were given an accessible room which meant a wet room and due to poor design/shower, this meant that after a short shower, the whole room was VERY wet.

Breakfast was included in our package and was excellent. We both picked from the continental buffet and had cooked breakfasts to order (only one poached egg seemed a little mean but otherwise excellent). At 8am we were literally the first customers of the day which was a little odd in a Sunday.

Guests are able to access the hotel bar/restaurant (you need to book the latter a good week or so in advance though) and the spa. We were looking forward to a lazy afternoon in the spa but unfortunately, it was terrible - actually the worst I've ever been to. While the facilities looked very new, they looked poorly maintained (very knocked about) and worst of all was the cleanliness. The changing rooms absolutely stank, were filthy and towels and rubbish were strewn around. Worst came when we went into the wet spa area, which again smelt very badly, was unclean and had many towels strewn around the place. The saunas should have been nice but just weren't hot enough to actually be saunas and the steam room stank.

We had a great stay in the city and loved the hotel accommodation itself but the spa really lets it down and is the reason I wouldn't return or recommend it.

Room Tip: Request a room on the lower floor away from the bar/restaurant if you want a good night's sleep
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Kiangarin
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit to Hotel Indigo.
I am pleased that overall your experience was perfect but unfortuantely the noise from above and being allocated a accessible room did not add to the experience.
The Spa is usually very good but I will pass on your comments to the Manager who I am sure will be in contact.
Thank you again for the feedback and I hope we can welcome you back soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Have stayed in Birmingham a few times but first time here. Found the reception staff very helpful and friendly.

The room was clean and comfortable. We had free mini bar on our stay which was quite a disappointment, just a couple of chocolate bars and 2 cans of fizzy pop, I am over 18!

We didn't get to use the spa etc as we had tickets for a show on the evening but we had a meal at Marco Pierre Whites which is within the Cube and had great views.

All in all, for the price I would use again as its an easy walk to everything.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear ClaireDaws
Thank you for the feedback reagrding your visit.
I am pleased you found the Hotel perfect for location and it is great for all the amenities Birmingham has to offer.
I am pleased also that you found the room clean and comfortable and the employees helpful and friendly.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Stayed as part of a birthday treat. Nice hotel spoiled by very noisy clientele in neighbouring rooms making sleep impossible for entire night. Hotel was completely hopeless at sorting problem out. Would avoid this place in future.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Ally03

Dear Ally03
Thank you for the feedback regardinng your recent visit to our Hotel.
I am sincerely sorry that your stay was disrupted by another guest however the team did try to address this but to no avail until it was too late. We do expect all out guests to behave in a manner suited to any Hotel and they were spoekn with on departure.
I am sorry that this spoilt your stay and maybe in the future we will ahve the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

I visited the 23rd floor bar with several friends on the afternoon of Sat May 4th. The view of the city is superb and the atmosphere seemed pleasant enough.

Towards the end of the afternoon one of our friends, a lone female, had to leave to catch the train home to London. I and another of my friends offered to walk her to the station.

On returning to the hotel the door staff refused to allow us back in as they said that the bar was full. I explained that we had escorted our friend to the station for her own safety in a strange city and that our empty seats were waiting upstairs along with our friends, but they continued to refuse us entry. When I tried to reason with the doorman that this refusal was very unfair he informed me that that what I needed to understand was that he just didn’t care. I asked for the name of the doorman and to see his badge but he told me that he wouldn’t let me have either.

In the end I had to phone my friends and they all had to finish their drinks and leave. Fortunately we were able to continue our evening at a bar without such an unpleasant attitude.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank RobatKingsbury
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear RobatKingsbury
Thank you for the feedback you have left on Tripadvisor.
I am sincerely sorry that your were not allowed back into the premses due to us already being full to capacity.
However I will discuss your comments with my Security team and express the importance of being the face at the front of my property and how we handle these situations.
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Lovely hotel , great area near canal and the mailbox
Quiet , fabulous check in staff !!!!! Soopa lovely
Great bed ! Duvet and soopa soopa clean, and I'm very fussy about the mattress cover in hotels ! This cover was very good and thick and covered the entire mattress ! Very very important ! Never stay in a hotel without one !!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't forget to use the spa ! I was gutted I didn't bring my spa stuff
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Dear Lorraineuk62
Thank you for the positive review.
I am really pleased that your overall experience was fabulous and especially the check-in staff, I will pass your comments on to them personally.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.