“Could do better!”

Hotel Indigo Birmingham
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I recently stayed over for a works dinner which was to be held in the MPW restaurant. The auto parking was simple to use but a touch expensive and the room was comfortable. The lack of a TV remote could have been a major problem for someone who wanted to watch TV in bed.
The meal proved to be average with one of the starters not being sent due to a mistake by the waiter. My Potage of Mussel soup was also very disappointing.
When the bill arrived we were also charged for several bottles of wine that we had not ordered!
The overnight stay was good apart from an early fire alarm but the breakfast was very poor. My ‘full english’ had obviously been sitting under the lights of the bain-marie for a good while as everything was dried to a crisp. The only saving grace was the politeness of the staff.
All in all a very average experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Alix P, Front of House Ambassador at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay at our Hotel and for your review. I am disappointed to read you did not have a great stay and I do appreciate and empathise with you, some needs have to be met, absolutely. I am sorry we got it wrong for you and hope you will give us a chance to make it up to you.

We have taken all of the feedback on board and would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to grow.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,042)

Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

I chose this hotel mainly as I got a good deal paying with my point and cash through the Priority Rewards Scheme IHG run. I have stayed at lots of other hotels in the group in Birmingham and I liked the fact this one has a spa, gym and pool (and a climbing wall!).
Hotel is only 10 minute walk away from New Street Station- exit from Hill Street exit (main exit closed as station going through massive refurb). Turn right when you come out onto Hill Street and then turn left onto Navigation St. Take the underpass with all the bright colourful lights and you can then cut through the Mailbox or take Commercial Street to the left. When going to hotel we always cut through mailbox shopping centre to but when leaving we came out through commercial street. If dark we used mailbox as felt safer as just me and my daughter. When you come out of Mailbox the Cube is straight ahead of you along the walkway and so is entrance to the hotel. Check in was fast- if you are offered two for one breakfast deal £15.95 do take it. Was really good value as you eat in the Marco Pierre White restaurant at the top of the hotel stunning views and a free glass of Buck's Fizz! To eat their normally is £18 for just full cooked breakfast with no tea or coffee.
I contacted the hotel before our stay to request a room on the 23rd floor as due to previous reviews I was concerned about noise from the champagne bar above on 25th floor. I am glad I did as we did experience a bit of base from the music from 11pm to 2am. It seemed worse on Friday than Saturday so if light sleeper it may bother you. Wouldn't stop me staying here again though. The views from our room were stunning with the Bullring shining in the distance.
Rooms are big enough for a short stay but if staying more than 4 or 5 nights you may not have enough room for clothing if two of you. Nice big tv on wall right in front of bed. We had bathrobes but no slippers but a call to housekeeping delivered a pair ( wanted them to walk down to spa). Loved the rain shower - could have stood under that for hours! Aveda toiletries were lovely. Tea and coffee with kitkat, crisps, water and 2 cans of juice included as per all Indigo hotels. Nice touch.
Bed was a bit soft for me but slept ok.
Used the spa which was really nice. Opened at 8am at the weekend so had a quick dip before breakfast. No shower gel in the showers - just shampoo and conditioner so may want to take some from your room. Ghds available to use for free there topic you forgotten your own hair straighteners. Free drinks machine in spa lobby. Nice hot chocolate!
On the whole this is a good located hotel and I found the staff to be very pleasant. As a Platinum member don't expect free drinks etc- you get free newspaper during week, extended checkout to 2pm and it says free items in Minibar but everyone gets this. No room upgrade as hotel was full but since I only actually paid £80 for 2 nights I was happy enough and would stay again. Thanks to hotel for daughter's Birthday brownies. She loved them!

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very happy to read you made full use of our facilities. Thank you for a wonderful and very detailed review. You have managed to capture what we are about and the inspired service we aim to deliver.

Please make sure you don’t forget to visit us again!

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed just one night and travelled up from Somerset. It was with intrepidation I set my Sat Nav in the direction of central Birmingham (imagining one-way systems, no parking, seeing the Hotel but cant get there). All my fears were unfounded - off a straight road (left turn, phew !), round a few small roads that were one-ways, and there I was, right outside the hotel with places to park. Checked in, got directions of how to park my car in the underground car-park.
Hotel aside - it was worth the £18 to see my car disappear underground, routed round on its turntable to be brought up the following day facing the right way. Amazing, and I know - I really must get out of Somerset more.
Room was glass on two sides - views fantatic, immaculate, well decorated, well-stocked mini-bar (inclusive), large walk in shower, seperate desk area.
Restaurant - glass on three sides, food fantastic, service impectable (staff very attentive, polite, friendly and there to help), definite four stars.
Negatives - some of the customers there were rude and loud (but not alot anyone can do about them as the windows dont open !). Room was cold, being December. We had to ring to get the heating sorted (despite pressing every button on the control), and again in the morning so not sure what the problem was.
This Hotel should be on the list of places to go, if only once ........... Fantastic

Room Tip: End rooms have floor to ceiling windows over two walls, so the views are amazing.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for stopping by our Hotel and for your review, we are absolutely delighted you have chosen to experience something totally spectacular.

I hope you had a good stay and I do apologise for the issues you encountered with heating. We have managed to fix the bug in our system and we genuinely hope it will not happen again.

Please come and visit us again soon, we love having you here.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife & I stayed on a Saturday night & had a spa day on the Sunday the treatments were very good e therapists excellent the only. Slight fault was that we thought there were too many people using the spa but this obviously means that it is a popular place

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted to read you had a great stay. We hope you enjoyed the Club and Spa facilities and we are glad to read you did not forget your swimwear!

Please come back soon!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stopped here on a Sunday night as went to watch band ,I live in Birmingham so this was a bit of a busman holiday. The hotel is located on the 23/24 floor and for weekend break offer tremendous value for money. The rooms are excellent, spacious and very modern, bed very comfy. The restaurant has fantasic views over the Bham skyline and the breakfast served here was great. Residents enjoy free Gymm and spa and acces to the pool. All in a lll a great location for nearby bars and shops.

Room Tip: Parking is £18 extra is cassette type car park area. Get breakfast vouchers from reception.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Alix P, Front of House Ambassador at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, I am most delighted to read you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We strive to offer you the very best in terms of the services we provide and we hope you have enjoyed exploring our neighbourhood.

Please come back soon.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

very nice hotel lovely and clean the staff were most helpfull the facllites were great would recomend to our friends also good value for money

the only down side vto the weekend was in whites bar on the evening therte were two gentlemen i will use loosly the were very drunk and were swearing very loudly we were quite offended by there language we moved tables but eventually left the bar and went somewhere else when we returned later they were gone
we were a bit disapointed

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Alix P, Front of House Ambassador at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, this is our time to reflect upon your experience and learn. I am most delighted you had a good stay and I feel a bit disappointed we did not notice the guests that were disturbing your stay. Please feel free to report any such behaviour to us at any time. Also, I would like to assure you this kind of behaviour is not tolerated in our establishment.

Please come back again soon, we would love to get it right for you.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Had a lovely stay here recently, just the weekend but an awesome hotel, very modern, with fantastic views over the city. Birmingham exceeded my expectations with plenty of life, amazing Christmas markets giving the whole place loads of atmosphere, buzzing. Everyone very friendly. Didn't stay long enough to make use of the spa, etc but will next time. Parked in The Cube car park as able to walk everywhere as so close by, certainly made life easier. On arriving home I realised I had left something in my room, nothing too much trouble for the staff who packaged and posted it to me free of charge which was very appreciated. Would stay again

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our hotel, I am most delighted you had such a good stay. We really love it when you go out and explore our neighbourhood, everything is in walking distance and the Frankfurt German Market is in town until December 22.

Don’t forget to check out the Spa packages we offer, you can have another amazing stay making full use of the spa facilities, on us!