“Overpriced and disappointing”

Hotel Indigo Birmingham
Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I was left very disappointed with what I was expecting to be an enjoyable stay at a rather expensive hotel.
For starters the room we were given did not lock when we left the room, it's a good job we checked otherwise our room would've been left open whilst we were out. When I tried to phone reception to report this problem I found the phone did not work. I then had to go down to reception and bring a member of staff up with me to check the door. After finding the lock didn't work we then had to pack our things and move next door to a room not as nice as our original one. The window was half the size and the room had quite a few faults.
After getting ready for bed I decided to ring room service only to find the phone in our second room also didn't work. I then had to get changed again and go down to reception to report the second broken phone and order room service from there.
The floor lamp in our room didn't turn on, neither did the bathroom mirror light or the light in the mini fridge. The lock on the door had broken off, only 1 bath towel was in the bathroom, and the tv speaker in the bathroom did not work.
I paid a substantial fee for my stay in this hotel and encountered more problems than I have ever had from staying in premier inns or travel lodges that are a fraction of the price!
The staff did not offer to provide us with any refunds or gestures to compensate for our disturbance which was highly disappointing.
Definitely won't be coming back, the worst part is that I had high expectations and was really looking forward to my stay, but was sadly left disappointed.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Alix P, Front of House Ambassador at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed you encountered so many issues with your stay. I would like to apologise and assure you this is not what we intended for you. Your stay is the most important aspect of our business and we truly hope we will get the chance to make it up to you.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed on a saturday night at the cube. Room ok quircky with nice view.fab meal at mpw restaurant drinks pricey but food reasonable. Paid half price for breakfast at check in. Good brewakfast with amazimg views on a sunny day. Overall pricey but worth it.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear guest,

I am very happy to read you had such an amazing stay, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you at our hotel soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We had a lovely stay, the staff were very friendly. The room was superb, there was no mirror in the room though which made using the hair drier a bit awkward.

The bed was so comfortable.

Breakfast was outstanding.

The only negative thing for us was that the room was a little noisy as we must have been underneath the champagne bar and there was live music on.

Overall all though the stay was great.

Room Tip: A balcony room in summer would be awesome
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, I am delighted to read you had a good stay and I hope the noise didn’t interrupt your stay. It is very important for us that you enjoy your stay and your comfort is our priority. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Although I was more than happy with the hotel itself I was slightly disappointed with not being informed about your pre authorisation charge. This was a special occasion for us and due to moving house this week we had budgeted a certain amount, only for £40 to be taken from my account and it still hasn't been released. I found it quite patronising of the receptionist to respond " this is standard for a hotel like this", as if I'd never stayed at a hotel of this standard before. I have, and have never had this happen before. I felt this put a slight downer on our evening as when we dined at marco pierres we were worried about prices and didn't order as many drinks as we'd probably have liked due to being £40 down on our budget. If we'd have known before hand of this charge this may not have been an issue.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed we did not explain this matter in a clearer manner. Please accept my apology and I truly hope this has not ruined your stay. The pre authorisation fee is there in case you encounter any other charges whilst you stay with us, namely it would be more than suitable to charge dinner or drinks to your room if you have this pre authorisation active on your reservation. Furthermore, if you have made a payment at the hotel using the same card your pre authorisation will be released automatically.

Please accept my sincere empathy with the situation and I hope you will give us the opportunity to make it up to you.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

The 25th floor restaurant of this hotel, branded in the name of celebrity chef Marco Pierre White, has stunning panoramic views over Birmingham. Since the bedrooms are on floors 23 and 24, they too have good views. The location, within the Cube next to the Mailbox, is close to shops and the station and the staff were friendly. Other than that, I found nothing to distinguish the hotel - comfortable and with the usual amenities, but nothing to justify a premium price. Arriving on a Sunday evening, I found that the restaurant was unavailable, booked by a private party, which I didn't mind except that the noise carried through to my room on the floor below.

Room Tip: If a corner room is available it should have a great view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted you had a good stay and I truly hope you will return to our hotel. I am happy you enjoyed the view and I truly hope you will make a booking in Marco Pierre White’s Restaurant in the future so we can really wow you once again. It is very important that you are comfortable and your feedback is very important. Thank you for your care.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We had a Spa break at The Cube & Hotel Indigo as a gift, the first time we had experienced a spa and being a Midlands resident looked forward to the concept of relaxation, enjoyment, investment in ourselves while experiencing Birmingham in a different way. Unfortunately our dream, expectations and plan didn't materialise, but I seek to provide an honest, balanced and fair review to help others and enable The Cube/hotel to get it right. I firstly seek to commend Alix who dealt with our complaint in a professional and thorough manner. Due to his excellent customer service dealing with our experience at the time, I walk away from the experience not as upset, angry or disappointed as I could have, thank you Alix on Front Desk.

Positives- Spa
Staff were very professional and attentive, showing us around the Spa initially, smiling and interacting throughout and during our shoulder/neck/ back massage made us comfortable and were good at what they did.
The treatment rooms were clean, calming, welcoming and a perfect setting to relax.
The cafe over looks the canal and offers lovely scones and latte/tea, a really funky place to enjoy and soak up the atmosphere.
Head/shoulder/back massage was excellent and of a high standard.
General facilities including water, hot drinks and sky tv were available throughout.
Steamroom was wonderful with a pleasant fragrance and colourful lighting.

Spa Developmental
Yoga sessions were not available in the afternoon
A sauna was out of order
The swimming pool is sooooo tiny
A jet that gives you the opportunity to swim into it creating a swimming treadmill effect was out of order.
Saturdays are too busy for the small size of the Spa.
No shower gel in the showers
No gym instructors available to guide.

Hotel -positives
Rooms are located on two high floors(23/24) to give a stunning view of the city. This was the best thing about the stay.
Room 2406 had a 180 degree view as it was corner room.
Sky sports on flat screen in the room was fab.
Mini bar with a couple of items was a nice touch included.
Spacious room, clear with funky lime green and white decor.
Cozy large bed that was inviting.

Hotel developmental
Room was so noisy and we were kept awake until 03.30hrs as they cleaned above in the restaurant, clanging chairs, vacuuming it was torture. I actually went up to tell them to stop in my PJs.
The room is by the stairs and the slamming of two doors kept us awake too, driving me to distraction, I was tempted to just go home in the middle of the night.
I tried to call reception at 01.30hrs regarding noise but nobody answered the phone. It appears a staff member was off sick and 24hr reception couldn't function as planned.
On the evening the hot water didn't work in our room therefore we had to use The Spa if we wanted a hot shower and go throughout the hotel in slippers and dressing gowns 24 floors in the lift. These things happen and I don't blame the staff, but it added to the poor experience.
The breakfast was fatty / over priced and staff in the restaurant came across unfriendly a contrast to staff on reception.

Overall a real disappointment, as it has the potential to be a nice hotel. I had to go home and sleep I was that tired by the noise, not forgetting other drunken visitors, but in a city this was expected.

Room Tip: Go on floor 23 or you will hear noise all night from restaurant above. Avoid room 2406 if you want t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Karen G
Alix P, Front of House Ambassador at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for choosing our hotel. I am disappointed your stay did not go according to plan but it was my pleasure to assist and comfort you upon check out. Please accept our sincere apology and our deepest empathy. We never imagine performing any less than perfect for you and as such we hope you will give us the opportunity to wow you next time you stay.

I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

it was great to go in the lift and only residential guests have access to your floor. fantastic resteraunt. stayed over Christmas and had a card under the door from the staff snd a little Christmas tree in the room. all the staff were so friendly and helpful. love to retun one day.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank TRAVELADDICT44

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I am most delighted you had such an amazing stay. We love to get it right for you and share your experiences. Thank you for telling the world your story.