“Great room...great views but never again on a Saturday night!”

Hotel Indigo Birmingham
Ranked #31 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Atherstone, United Kingdom
“Great room...great views but never again on a Saturday night!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The reception on arrival was pleasant and professional. The room was lovely, very clean and well decorated. It was quite spacious with good quality furnishings. The downside was that the bed was a little too soft for my preference and the air conditioning unit was quite noisy. However the biggest downside was the fact that we were on 24th floor and above us was the restaurant and the champagne bar which was very busy and which had a live music event which went on to 2am. If we had realised that this would be the case we would probably have found somewhere else to stay as we are perhaps a little too old for the kind of music we could hear through the ceiling. The upshot was that I did not sleep particularly well.
We had breakfast on the 25th Floor in the MPW restaurant. The view was spectacular and you will be surprised by how much greenery you can see in Birmingham. The service at breakfast was faultless and the food was excellent. We both had the Eggs Benedict which very moreish. The buffet was generous with an excellent range of food on offer. The staff were attentive but unobtrusive.
Despite the disturbance of the music, I would stay again although probably not at a weekend. The hotel is lively and obviously a popular venue which we had expected, we just had not planned for the live music. I would certainly recommend the hotel to those wanting to be central to the hustle and bustle of the city but perhaps for the younger market.
We cannot fault the staff, the service or the cleanliness of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on Floor 23 not 24!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Alix P, Front of House Ambassador at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am happy to read you had some great experiences at our hotel. At the same time, I am disappointed the upstairs bar disturbed your stay, this was not what we intended. We truly hope we will manage to find a solution for you and for future guests so please do not hesitate to contact us prior arrival and we will make the most suitable arrangements in accordance with your needs.

We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Martley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed at the Hotel Indigo at The Cube on the Mayday Bank Holiday weekend. Mixed feelings really.

Positive:
Great location
Fantastic views of the city from the room and the 25th storey Marco Pierre White bar
Spa is very nice - well equipped and clean - but a little crowded
Very clean and nicely decorated (modern and fresh)

Not so good:
Lacklustre welcome on arrival.
Room was not ready at 3pm and reception (which is non-descipt anyway) seemed like a drop in centre for young adults - not all of whom looked friendly - with lots of teenagers taking all the seats. I do not think they were residents. Trendy is fine but you want to feel as if you are meant to be there! Following that it was not a problem to be fair.
There are only 2 lifts which means on busy nights they are hogged by the restaurant and bar. It can take 20 minutes to get to your room!

Overall, it was an enjoyable stay and the bar/restaurant is great. Would I return? Think we will try somewhere else first!

Room Tip: All rooms are high up with good views so take your pick!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I am disappointed you did not have the check in experience we had in mind for you but I hope we can learn from your comments and strive to provide the best check in service. We truly hope you will visit us again soon and witness our goals turning into reality.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here as a birthday treat, thankfully was aloud and early check. Spectacular views from my room.
Nice little extras in the room provided. Shame u cant offer free breakfast for the price that you charge.
Bed a little in the soft side for me. Would i stay here again, yes.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am delighted to read you had such a great evening at our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again and we hope you will discover more of our neighbourhood every time you stay.

I hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed on a Saturday night for my wife's birthday. Chose it for location and Champagne bar. Returned from a great meal at San Carlos to a disco until 2.00 am. Vibrating the the floor and echoing through the air conditioning. If you want to party until after 2.00am then no problem - if that doesn't appeal then just don't stay - you won't be happy, or relaxed.

• Stayed May 2014
Alix P, Front of House Ambassador at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed you did not enjoy the hotel as much as we wanted you to. We truly aim to make all guests comfortable and we appreciate any feedback. We also aim to put things right and we truly hope that next time you stay we will manage to WOW you.

I hope to see you again soon!
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Having had a little one 9 months ago it was out first night out as a couple to relax!
Relax we did!
Checked in early then enjoyed coffee in the Cube before using the Spa and Gym followed by a great meal at Marco's.
Infusion package was great value!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I am very happy to read you have managed to get away and relax! Sometimes the best thing you can do is nothing at all and we understand that. We hope you visit us again and enjoy more of what our neighbourhood has to offer!
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed on a Saturday night and requested a quiet room (as previous people on trip advisor had mentioned the music bar above). Got a room on the lower of the two hotel floors. Nice bright modern room, not a great view though. Had an afternoon drink in bar above which has fantastic views of the city. It was quite busy with a mix of people, drinks are quite pricey, but got free nibbles. Dined elsewhere that night and on return our hotel room was quite warm with no way of cooling it down, air con wouldn't come on. During the night could hear the music from the bar 2 floors above and then a group of lads running down the corridor shouting at around 3am. So not a good night sleep. Bed seemed to cave in the middle too. Bath towels lovely, big and soft on the plus side. Would have had breakfast there until we saw it was £18! Very disappointed with the hotel overall.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed you did not enjoyed your stay as much as we had wish for you. We care a lot about your comfort and we would like to apologise for not delivering what you have expected. I am very grateful you have let me know so I can do what is suitable in my duty to make sure we improve.

I hope to see you again.
A Hillside In Wales
Reviewed 28 April 2014

First impression of the hotel and then the bedroom was great; colourful with a big balcony to the bedroom and far-reaching view of the city but it wasn't long before the chipped paint and other imperfections in this fairly new hotel (April 2014) began to irritate.

The bed was unhealthily soft and we both rose with aching backs and not refreshed at all.

Apart from the very pleasant young man who checked us out we never saw a member of staff smile. On the contrary, they were haughty, brusque and/or surly.

We had problems (as did other people) with the key cards and were told that they often happen - there didn't appear to be any desire to solve the problem, just keep inconveniencing customers by forcing them to go back to reception (which was under-staffed and very cold) to get their key 'cut' again.

The Marco Pierre White food experience was not one to be repeated, complimentary crisps served in a dirty bowl, almost warm, glutinous potato, unseasoned food lacking any flavour (we are non-smokers with good palates) and the worst vegetarian choice I have seen in a restaurant in years.

If you have to go to Birmingham centre this hotel is convenient but eat elsewhere and avoid it if you have any back problems.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed you did not have the journey we intended for you but I will do my very best to make sure these issues are corrected as soon as possible. In the meantime, I would like to thank you for the kind words and assure you that our teams will be made aware of your feedback, I believe it is important.

I hope to see you and check you out again!