“A very popular bar.”

Ranked #35 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Banbury, United Kingdom
“A very popular bar.”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We obtained this free stay courtesy of IHG and decided to check out this brand. It is about 10 minutes walk from New Street station and even less to the popular Broad Street area for bars and nightlife.

What sells this hotel is the nearly all-round city views from the top floor bar and restaurant. Unfortunately, this is a very popular venue which appeals to non-staying visitors. It was jam-packed during our Saturday night stay so we didn't get to look around properly.

The hotel reception is at ground level but curiously listed as floor seven. There are two floors for Hotel Indigo, the two directly below the bar, which are floors 23 and 24. These are accessed by two lifts but can only hold eight people each which caused queues for the bar. Fortunately, there was a member of staff who gave preference to those staying at the hotel.

Our room was on floor 24 and was very colourful and comfortable. Being an Executive room it had a mini-fridge, robes, large shower and even speakers from the television in the shower room. The window was floor to ceiling, so there was a terrific view of the area.

This hotel probably appeals to younger people who would like to party upstairs.

Room Tip: We was told that floor 24 would be quite noisy due to the bar directly above. However, we didn'...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Alix P, Front of House Ambassador at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay and that our lively bar atmosphere has not interrupted your night. We aim to deliver great customer care and this is why we offer a variety of services which I am hoping you will try at least once. Don’t forget to explore our neighbourhood next time you stay!

We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I very much enjoyed my stay here. Amazing views and a very well maintained property. Friendly staff and great location in the centre of Birmingham City made it a pleasure to come back. The maintenance manager michael was extremely helpful throughout our stay.
I would highly recommend hotel Indigo

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, we are delighted you had a good stay. Please make sure you explore our neighbourhood next time you visit and for more popular destinations you can always visit our website!

We hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here for a 3 day conference at the ICC. I had booked on Hotwire, so I only knew of the 4star status and facilities pre-booking.

It's very well located near the mailbox area overlooking the canal. It's a 5 minute walk along the canal to Broad Street. However, on the doorstep are a host of bars and restaurants that are far more upmarket than Broad St.

The hotel room had solid wood floors, and a modern clean design - very stylish. Rooms are on the 24th floor and accessed using a security card in the lift. The bathroom was large and clean - again, top quality. The only fault was a mobile shower head moving under its own power.

On the 25th floor is the Marco Pierre White bar and restaurant. I didn't eat there, but did go for a drink. The views are awesome, and there's and outdoor area from where you can take in the views. It's extremely cool, and the atmosphere was buzzing - on a Wednesday night. Weekends are probably great.

I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Alix P, Front of House Ambassador at Hotel Indigo Birmingham, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hi Kyle!

Thank you for the great review, I am delighted you had a great stay! Make sure you visit our neighbourhood next time you stay – now you can do a guided tour, Hotel Indigo Style! If you are curious about our weekends I would definitely encourage you to book one, it is a treat!

Hope to see you soon!
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here on Saturday night after a concert at the NEC.

Centrally located, we walked to the New Street train station with the intention of getting a train to the NEC (just a few pounds return fare and trains go every 15mins). However, there was an incident on the line so we ended up driving. In the end we didn't park the car until about 6.30pm and collected it at about 5.30pm the next day = parking...£6 in total! That was the Town Hall Car Park not the Mailbox car park.

Hotel rooms - excellent. We were on the 24th Floor. Wonderful views, clean modern rooms with great showers.
Restaurant....excellent. Delicious food. We shared a platter of "Best of British" food £19 (black pudding, cheese sausage, smoked ham and potted duck with pickles). Husband had ribeye steak with chips, mushrooms, tomatoe and onion rings (£30) and I had rump of lamb with potato, green beans and creamed spinach (£27), both cooked perfectly pink. Cost about £70 so not cheap but with the amazing view, white table cloths, cheerful service from the waiters and good food, I thought it was worth every penny.
They also had a reasonably priced wine menu (cheapest about £20)

Breakfast also amazing. For a start, it was served in the same restaurant so you could appreciate the lovely views again but in daylight this time. They served breakfast until 11am which is very civilised on a Sunday morning. I had genuinely freshly squeezed orange juice, fruit and yoghurt followed by the best boiled eggs and soldiers. Husband had the full breakfast and commented that it was the best cooked breakfast that he could remember having in a long time.

As we were able to have a late breakfast, it meant we could visit The Spa first. If you are going to use the sauna, remember to take a small bottle of water with you which you can fill up at the gym before you go into the spa.

Small but very pleasant pool, nice showers, sauna, steam room etc.

My only criticism of this hotel would be that the restaurant is an extension of the bar area. On the night the bar was full of hen/stag do's (I think the hotel caters for these crowds, possibly because of the spa area?) and there really was a noisy (dare I say uncouth) crowd/language. We sat down to dinner at 9.30pm after an expensive cocktail (£12 each) and single gin and tonic (£9). You would think the drink prices would keep these folks out but I guess the views from the 25th floor is a draw for a lot of people.

Anyway, an hour later they "pumped up the volume" in the bar area which of course filtered through to the dining area.. Now, I like to hear folk having a good time but quite honestly at my age (52) I want to enjoy my dinner in a peaceful and tranquil atmosphere. If I was at a "chain" style restaurant, that is one thing but the way that the Marco Pierre White restaurant presents itself, I was expecting something a little more subdued. Personal taste I guess.
Needless to say, we didn't stay for dessert or coffee as we couldn't hear each other talk.

So, off for a night time stroll along Brindley Place before climbing into bed at about 12.30am.
The music from the floor above kept going until about 1.30pm. Although I could hear it, it wasn't enough to keep me awake.

All in all, it was a lovely night away and I would recommend the hotel to anyone who enjoys good food, comfy beds, lovely long lie in the morning and a great breakfast.

I hope you enoy it too x

Room Tip: We were in room 2415.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay and truly experienced ALL of what Birmingham has to offer, including #Level25! We hope that you will come back and do it all over again as we love it when our guests go all the way!

Please don’t forget to return!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I'd booked at spa package for me and partner to celebrate my birthday. When i was booking on the phone I asked do I need to book the treatments in advance, they said no, so i didn't. When i arrived to start my spa day on my birthday they had no treatments booked so we couldn't do it. They had two appointments left both on different days and not any of the treatments we wanted and paid for. So i didn't get the spa day I had booked for my birthday.

They did give us a room upgrade (after i asked) but the room was still pretty average, it was just 'okay' not worth price. Also the fire alarm went off about 5 times in the night, not making it a very good nights sleep.

I wouldn't recommend anyone staying here unless it was a quarter of the price.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed your stay has been interrupted by our fire alarm - this is not the experience we had in mind for you. Please accept our sincere apology and we hope that we will be able to rectify this in the future.

I hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at Hotel Indigo on last Friday of bank holiday weekend in one of their feature rooms. The room was faultless... i particularly enjoyed the ceiling to floor panoramic views of Birmingham. The room was spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was also very spacious , though it would have been nice to have a bath aswell as a shower facility. They even left complimentary kitkat bars in the fridge ;)

My booking also included breakfast at the lovely Marco Pierre restaurant. The breakfast was very nice and also catered for vegetarians like me equally well! We had a lovely seat at the top of the building.

The only drawback was the expensive car park facility, the hotel did provide a 15% discount but even then it cost £17 for an overnight stay at the mailbox car park.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Indigo.. and would most book again!

Room Tip: Book on 23rd floor to avoid noise during the night. Rooms with feature views are amazing!
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am very happy to read your stay was a success – this is why we are here. We also would like to encourage you to discover our original and vibrant neighbourhood! Now you can do it using our Hotel Podcast’s Guided tour with Capital FM’s Dan Kelly and I.

I hope to see you again soon!
stafford
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I booked at 15.00 hrs paid £150 for 1 night, which was expensive, you park in the mail box car park, it is quite a walk to the hotel, the room was very nice, but the window was narrow and a desk inhibited the view, it also made the room dark, the views and location is very good, there is a night club which is on the 25th floor, very pricey, Laurent Perrier £180 a bottle when it only costs £40 a bottle to buy, the restaurant has lost its star rating, judging by our breakfast I can see why, the way to rectify this, is sack both the head chef and manager.
Would I stay again yes, there is a lot of bars and restaurants within the complex.

Room Tip: Ask for the 23 floor
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed you did not appreciate our car parking arrangements. We are very fortunate to be able to offer not just car parking facilities but at a discounted rate as well! We do not have a nightclub on top of the hotel but we do have our Restaurant which caters to all of Birmingham and our guests. In regards to the champagne price, I can assure you what you were quoted was not a simple bottle but a particular vintage as we do have the most popular bottle of Laurent Perrier Brut at £62.00.

I truly hope you will come back so we can offer you a new experience and exceed your expectations.