“A poor, lasting impression”
Review of Carib Grill

Carib Grill
Ranked #362 of 2,342 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Moseley and Kings Heath
Description: The Carib Grill is a smart upmarket Caribbean restaurant in the heart of Moseley, Birmingham. You will be welcomed with a smile and a warm greeting. let the stress of the day disappear as you soak up the atmosphere while perusing and discussing the menu with your friends. Our Carib Grill flamed chicken is a delight. Our chicken is marinated in our own Jerk sauce to ensure the rich flavours reach the core of them meat. The roasted and flame grilled to retain all its flavour in every bite. Created in the Caribbean and now enjoyed worldwide. Try it and see for yourself.
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I visited this restaurant with a friend in July.

My friend had a voucher offer.

We were seated almost straight away and given menus.

It was mid week busy on arrival although most tables were already eating.

45 minutes later our order was taken.

It took a further 20 minutes for the drinks to arrive.

The waitress then took the order, explaining that all food is cooked fresh so it will take a while.

The platter arrived and it was pleasant, and very hot so obviously freshly cooked.

The main however took about 35 minutes to arrive at the table and it was cold but I was so hungry by then I begin to eat it but the 'special sauce' was so strong it was unpleasant to eat.

I left most of this. My friends meal was poorly presented and dumped onto the plate both plates were served with a huge amount of garnish lettuce what is the point to this.

Plates were cleared, it would have been nice to have a courtesy check during the meal but there was none. I waited for 15 minutes for a waitress to come past so I could order more drinks.

At this point the staff began having an argument in the kitchen area which is on show to diners but not a show kitchen/show cooking. It appeared to be heated with an object thrown by either waiting or kitchen staff.

The waitress then disappeared and abandoned us.

We waited and waited and waited

Eventually a member of kitchen staff walked by to put the bins out, minutes later we were brought the bill no apology for the commotion.

I have rated this poor as it was a poor dining experienced, I dine out often and first impressions matter.

I would be willing to give this restaurant another chance purely because I do think that it was a one off and also because I thoroughly support independent businesses.

Clyde326, Manager at Carib Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Hey toni15,
It would appear to me that there was a total breakdown in communications here. For this I sincerely apologise. What you have described is so out of line with our operational mode. I can only assume that as it was busy the waitress assumed another had dealt with your table. This is no excuse and we feel disappointed ourselves reading your review.
Please come and see us again and ask for me and I will ensure that you get an experience you would want to last.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Amazing food. Curry Goat was cooked just right, very generous portions also. Service was fast and all the staff were extremely friendly.

1  Thank wilson4488

Hey wilson4488,
I liked your comment "Crazy Good" review on TripAdvisor. We aim to please our customers and when we know that we have been successful, it drives us on to keep doing it. Thanks very much for the review and we hope to see you again soon. Clyde

Reviewed 31 July 2014

After discovering the Turtle-bay chain I found a taste for Caribbean food , I went to Carib Grill for a meal with the Mrs . We spotted a deal on Groupon and gave it a try. The man, front-of-house was really friendly. He took time to explain the different options on the menu. The mixed started platter was fantastic. I particularly enjoyed the chicken lollipops which had a great kick to them. The goat curry was recommended to us and did not disappoint, tender and tasty, with a rich flavoursome sauce.

1  Thank Hemant M

Hey Hemant M,
Thanks for your "Hiden Carib Gem" review on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased that you have a taste for Caribbean food and you found Carib Grill the "Hiden Carib Gem". Now that you have discovered the authentic Caribbean taste please come and see us again soon. Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

What a super evening we have just had. Went with a groupon voucher for a starter platter & drink and ended up having mains & doing some rum tasting!
The host is a really nice chap, very welcoming & a good sense of humour - he helped make it a most enjoyable occasion.
Starter platter is a definite must, tastes fabulous & the home made bbq sauce is superb - nice bite to it with bags of flavour. The large prawns in the chef's special garlic sauce is also a must-have - really yummy!
Mains of jerk chicken, flying fish & brown chicken stew were good too and the 15 year old rum is well worth a try. Dumplings are interestingly large, have a slight 'freshly cooked doughnut' flavour & go well with some gravy. Looking forward to going back again, especially to try the real vintage rum. Definitely worth a visit.

Hey Nicky1975,
Thanks for the review on TtipAdvisor. So pleasing to learn that you had a wonderful experience of Caribbean food and of course Carib Grill. We say that "we cook exciting Caribbean Food in our unique way". That also means bringing items to the menu that you cannot get elsewhere, like the Flying Fish which you enjoyed.
We are so please to hear that you will be back to repeat the experience.
Thanks again.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

My wife and I went on a Groupon voucher with a rum punch each and a sharing platter. The rum punch was delicious, and the platter had a good variety of tasty morsels. We then decided to share a goat curry. The goat curry was very tasty, but there was not much of it! Also, the portion of rice was barely adequate and not very warm served with salad leaves which I think are totally unnecessary. The portion was more like a side plate than a main course especially considering the price of £ 11.50. Apart from that, it was a very pleasant evening and we will return.

1  Thank Gobinder
Clyde326, Manager at Carib Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Hey Gobinder,
Thanks for the review on TripAdvisor. You did leave me a bit puzzled however because you said it wasn't value for money although you came on a Groupon voucher with a 53% discount.
You also said that you shared a Goat Curry and "The goat curry was very tasty, but there was not much of it! Also, the portion of rice was barely adequate". Of course the portions are for one person and therefore not enough for two people. You also added that the salad on the plate was unnecessary, which may be the case for you but we have picked up a healthy eating award and one of the points that was noted was the fact that we included salad on the plate as standard and you may have noticed that we also had no salt on the table. We are looking after your health as well as giving you great food. Your comments on the quality of the food was encouraging though. I do hope you return to see us.
Kind regards,