“Wish there was more variety....”
Review of Peachy Keens

Peachy Keens
Ranked #746 of 2,344 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Chinese, Indian, Italian, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I went to Peachy Keens for the dinner buffet as I really wanted to find a good buffet. I do enjoy trying different types of foods.
The restaurant itself was nicely decorated, there is a pub section adjacent to it and there were work colleagues enjoying the football.
Now for the food itself- I was disappointed with the lack of selection and variety.
The starters included onion rings, peri peri chicken (which was nice) and spicy wings and fries. However, for the sheek kebabs, you had to ask the chefs for them- they were not made whilst you wait, they were already cooked but kept behind the chef cooking station, so you had to wait until they saw you, and ask for the sheek kebabs and then tell them how many you would like. I felt a bit uneasy at doing this because I did wait a few minutes for someone to notice me and then they were not welcoming or very pleasant so you felt bad to ask for more than 2 sheek kebabs! They should really have them available as the other dishes are.

For the main courses, there was one chicken curry, 1 lamb curry, aloo gobi and lentils and rice- the usual suspects. I have been to other buffets and there were more than one dish of each therefore catering for people's different taste buds; sadly this was not the case here.

There was one live cooking station ( I think the branch in Nottingham may have more, on the website it describes many cooking stations, but it did not specify how many and in which branches), the chinese cooking station for chinese. .

It was lacking variety and excitement, I want to feel excited at the thought of trying different tastes.

The salad bar was decorated lovely, and there was alot to choose from, but I am not paying money for a salad- that is just my opinion though.

So, all in all, I was disappointed in this buffet and I got bored. It is a shame because the staff were helpful and had a good sense of humor and were available for any questions.

1  Thank BellaTibi

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We booked to meet up with relatives we rarely see who live miles away it was Saturday Luchtime we were told 1pm. We expected to have a meal a few drinks and a chat for the afternoon . At 2pm we were told to hurry up as they would be clearing away at 2.15 ready to close at 2.30pm. So we never really enjoyed the meal although altogether we spent over £100.00

Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

The buffet is average, the food is the same every time u go. It's ok for a low key Dinner but nothing special the Thai green curry is lovely though

Also half of the buffet is a pub

Reviewed 10 May 2012

I've already wrote a couple of reviews on this restaurant. This review is is based on dining with a large party.

On my recommendation, my friend pre-booked 25 seats here, for her 40th birthday. We were seated in an area at the back of the restaurant, close together, on several tables - perfect. Being a Saturday night, it was busy, but not over-crowded.

Personally, I thought the food was good & plentiful, as always (see my other reviews). Some people in the party said they'd have preferred more choice of Chinese food, but overall people enjoyed the meal.

There was only one letdown - On their website, they state that if it's your birthday & you bring at least 9 people to dine, you eat for FREE...and they supply a FREE birthday cake. I asked the waitress about the free meal for the 'birthday girl' & she said she didn't know about this, so I asked to speak to the manager. The manager came & said that you have to say it's a birthday celebration when booking the seats. My friend's husband insisted that he did say this at the time - and I myself, had emailed the manager previously to say we were coming for a birthday celebration. My friend was wearing a giant '40th Birthday' hat & sash - we obviously weren't lying! We practically had to beg just to get one free meal...and we were refused the free cake! Quite petty really.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

The food was all lovely and I just wish my belly was a bit bigger so I could have eaten more. Everything I had was really nice, Lamb Rogan Josh, Sag Paneer, cajun prawns, chicken tikka, tandoori chicken etc etc. The drinks aren't too expensive either. We are returning again this weekend.