“Mixed bag but worth a visit”
Review of The Karczma

The Karczma
Ranked #34 of 2,336 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Cuisines: Polish
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Karczma is a traditional Polish restaurant, bar and grill located in the heart of Birmingham, just 5min walk from both the Bull Ring Shopping Centre and Moor Street Rail Station. Restaurant is decorated in the style of an old Polish country cottage seating 85 people across 2 rooms. The menu is designed to reflect a homely, hearty and rustic food that's quintessentially Polish, and prepared using only the very best quality ingredients. The menu contains numerous Polish classics including Pierogi (stuffed dumplings), Berszcz (Beetroot soup), Pickled Herring, Zurek (Pickled Rye Flour Soup) served from a hollowed out loaf of bread, as well as a whole host of grilled meats and fish. We wish you a pleasant stay and Enjoy !!!
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We booked a table for 8 people on a Saturday night for a birthday. None of us had tried polish food before and had seen the great reviews on here.

I loved the interior design of the place. True polish authentic feel to it which was great however the building itself isn't the best and neither are the small toilets which are shared with the bar next door.

Service throughout was fantastic and the waiter who unfortunately I didn't get the name of, gave us recommendations for what to order.

For starters we had a mixed of pierogi, which were very tasty but a bit salty for some. Other people has the Sheeps cheese which was fantastic and went down well.

I enjoyed the pierogi, the outer layer looks undercooked but it's very tasty however id recommend to share them if you order them before a main.

For my main I had the pork knuckle. The pork fell off the bone so easily and was a beautiful soft texture however it was slightly bland and lacking in flavour. I was hoping to taste more of the ham itself. The skin was difficult to cut into without a sharp knife. Still enjoyed it but wasn't as good as I thought it would be. The potatoes were superb, simple boiled potatoes seasoned with dill but they were superb. Portions as expected were enormous and I couldn't finish the plate despite enjoying it.

Others had the beef stew which I think id go for if I went back. Some had the chicken and my partner had the dumplings for mains which she said was too salty and couldn't eat it, other than that we enjoyed the food but didn't blow us away.

We had a fair few drinks with it, the polish beer went down very well. The drinks were expensive but food value was about right.

Enjoyed the night as a whole, great in parts but some parts a let down. Great service, authenticity and a good night. I'd go back but there's other places I'd go back to before, definitely worth a try at least once for a truly traditional polish experience.

5  Thank DamianMOR

Reviewed 22 June 2014

A wonderful little restaurant, beautifully decorated. The food was superb and the portions were huge so bring an appetite! The service was friendly and excellent and the whole evening a joy. I look forward to returning to try the rest of the menu.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Went here last Friday with 2 girlfriends. Restaurant is tucked away behind Moor Street Station in Peaky Blinders part of Brum. We felt very safe though walking to the restaurant having parked in the Bullring.

Had a lovely evening here. Rustic, homely decor. Attentive waiter, varied menu with lots of hearty fare, decent selection of wines/beers/vodkas. We all chose things we'd never tried before and all enjoyed each course. For starters I had beetroot soup, one friend had herrings and the other potato pancakes. Mains two of us had were beef stew in fried potato pancakes and one had chicken kebabs. Very filling, very moreish and still felt full on Saturday morning.

Washed down with Tyskie beer and a few fruit vodkas. Good night out and will definitely be going again.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Me and my girlfriend had a late lunch here whilst we were in Birmingham in April. It took us a while to find it though as its location is a bit sheltered away on the side. I was really looking forward to it, as I quite like Polish food from what little of it I've had before, and she was keen on trying out new things. The place was nice and quirky, even the menus were impressive looking with those wooden boards.
We ended up choosing from the Lunch menu that was decently priced, however we also inspected the a'la carte, and that was great value too. We both had barley soup as starters, and she had this lovely mushroom pierogi as her main, while I had this mince meat in a pastry dish, that was lovely as well. We decided against dessert in the end. Well worth a visit, would definitely go again if nearby.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This restaurant was absolutely amazing from the service to the food, to the ambiance and the details and the music. Even though its location may raise a few eyebrows, it is worth a visit. The food was absolutely amazing, delicious and it was served in large portions. Some people have commented that the food is pricey, but I totally disagree as the quality is so great. Also, the only waiter, who was working, was just lovely. He made sure he recommended us what we could choose from the menu, suggested alternatives and joked to make us feel at home. I would recommend the restaurant owner to bring in more Polish drinks. We will be returning without a doubt and thank you once again to the staff at Karczma for making our first visit so fun and memorable.