“Great food and friendly service”
Review of The Karczma

The Karczma
Ranked #22 of 2,288 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: Polish
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Karczma is a traditional Polish restaurant, bar and grill located in the heart of Birmingham, just 5min walk from both the Bull Ring Shopping Centre and Moor Street Rail Station. Restaurant is decorated in the style of an old Polish country cottage seating 85 people across 2 rooms. The menu is designed to reflect a homely, hearty and rustic food that's quintessentially Polish, and prepared using only the very best quality ingredients. The menu contains numerous Polish classics including Pierogi (stuffed dumplings), Berszcz (Beetroot soup), Pickled Herring, Zurek (Pickled Rye Flour Soup) served from a hollowed out loaf of bread, as well as a whole host of grilled meats and fish. We wish you a pleasant stay and Enjoy !!!
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Have eaten here on a couple of occasions, a meal for two and also with a large stag party. We have always received a friendly welcome and the food and ingredients are fantastic. If you fancy something different then this is the place. I can highly recommend the honey mead, and the decor is brilliant!

1  Thank j a

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Taken as a birthday treat and first experience was really impressed. Based near to latifs in Birmingham from the outside you wouldn't have a good impression. Once inside its a pleasant experience. The staff are excellent and friendly. With a straw on the ceiling, white fluffy rugs and cosy relaxed atmosphere. They are typically polish but speak excellent English and helpful. We were with a relative who is polish so could explain the menu although it is on english too. I tried a bit of everyone's food and pleasantly surprised, i enjoyed everything I tried. I had the best night ive had out on while. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We booked a table for 8 people on a Saturday night for a birthday. None of us had tried polish food before and had seen the great reviews on here.

I loved the interior design of the place. True polish authentic feel to it which was great however the building itself isn't the best and neither are the small toilets which are shared with the bar next door.

Service throughout was fantastic and the waiter who unfortunately I didn't get the name of, gave us recommendations for what to order.

For starters we had a mixed of pierogi, which were very tasty but a bit salty for some. Other people has the Sheeps cheese which was fantastic and went down well.

I enjoyed the pierogi, the outer layer looks undercooked but it's very tasty however id recommend to share them if you order them before a main.

For my main I had the pork knuckle. The pork fell off the bone so easily and was a beautiful soft texture however it was slightly bland and lacking in flavour. I was hoping to taste more of the ham itself. The skin was difficult to cut into without a sharp knife. Still enjoyed it but wasn't as good as I thought it would be. The potatoes were superb, simple boiled potatoes seasoned with dill but they were superb. Portions as expected were enormous and I couldn't finish the plate despite enjoying it.

Others had the beef stew which I think id go for if I went back. Some had the chicken and my partner had the dumplings for mains which she said was too salty and couldn't eat it, other than that we enjoyed the food but didn't blow us away.

We had a fair few drinks with it, the polish beer went down very well. The drinks were expensive but food value was about right.

Enjoyed the night as a whole, great in parts but some parts a let down. Great service, authenticity and a good night. I'd go back but there's other places I'd go back to before, definitely worth a try at least once for a truly traditional polish experience.

5  Thank DamianMOR
Reviewed 22 June 2014

A wonderful little restaurant, beautifully decorated. The food was superb and the portions were huge so bring an appetite! The service was friendly and excellent and the whole evening a joy. I look forward to returning to try the rest of the menu.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Went here last Friday with 2 girlfriends. Restaurant is tucked away behind Moor Street Station in Peaky Blinders part of Brum. We felt very safe though walking to the restaurant having parked in the Bullring.

Had a lovely evening here. Rustic, homely decor. Attentive waiter, varied menu with lots of hearty fare, decent selection of wines/beers/vodkas. We all chose things we'd never tried before and all enjoyed each course. For starters I had beetroot soup, one friend had herrings and the other potato pancakes. Mains two of us had were beef stew in fried potato pancakes and one had chicken kebabs. Very filling, very moreish and still felt full on Saturday morning.

Washed down with Tyskie beer and a few fruit vodkas. Good night out and will definitely be going again.