“A delightful find in Brum”
Review of The Karczma

The Karczma
Ranked #19 of 2,206 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$3 - US$27
Cuisines: Polish
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Karczma is a traditional Polish restaurant, bar and grill located in the heart of Birmingham, just 5min walk from both the Bull Ring Shopping Centre and Moor Street Rail Station. Restaurant is decorated in the style of an old Polish country cottage seating 85 people across 2 rooms. The menu is designed to reflect a homely, hearty and rustic food that's quintessentially Polish, and prepared using only the very best quality ingredients. The menu contains numerous Polish classics including Pierogi (stuffed dumplings), Berszcz (Beetroot soup), Pickled Herring, Zurek (Pickled Rye Flour Soup) served from a hollowed out loaf of bread, as well as a whole host of grilled meats and fish. We wish you a pleasant stay and Enjoy !!!
Bristol, UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A delightful find in Brum”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Went to this restaurant for the first time last night. A great experience. Friendly waitress and good food. My first experience of Polish food, probably not the healthiest food in the world but very tasty. I would recommend Karczma for a different and enjoyable night out.

• Visited July 2014

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Dagenham, United Kingdom
“Excellent service, superb food”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was visiting a friend in Birmingham and she suggested that we go check out this place. According to my friend it's difficult to get a table ad hoc because they are usually fully booked already but we managed to get a table for the two of us and what a treat it was! We were served a delicious, sweet Polish wine. Eastern European cooking often involves things that are not very common or well known in England and a lot of English people would be reluctant to even try but being from Eastern Europe I was not surprised at these. The beef tripe soup was as wonderfully spiced as can be. It was just right, very harmonious and pleasing. For main I had the chicken gizzard stewed in a lovely sauce with some tasty dumplings of perfect texture and firmness and sweet fried beetroot. I would never have thought of frying beetroot myself but there you go I have discovered something new and very tasty again.
I definitely recommend this place to anyone who is willing to be adventurous in eating out.

• Visited June 2014
“Best place in Birmingham! ”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I've been 4 times now and still love the place. The food is excellent and the staff are very nice. It's a bit hidden but surprisingly about 2 minutes walk from Moor Street station. You must try it out!

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Great food and friendly service”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Have eaten here on a couple of occasions, a meal for two and also with a large stag party. We have always received a friendly welcome and the food and ingredients are fantastic. If you fancy something different then this is the place. I can highly recommend the honey mead, and the decor is brilliant!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank j a
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Best of Polish cuisine”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Taken as a birthday treat and first experience was really impressed. Based near to latifs in Birmingham from the outside you wouldn't have a good impression. Once inside its a pleasant experience. The staff are excellent and friendly. With a straw on the ceiling, white fluffy rugs and cosy relaxed atmosphere. They are typically polish but speak excellent English and helpful. We were with a relative who is polish so could explain the menu although it is on english too. I tried a bit of everyone's food and pleasantly surprised, i enjoyed everything I tried. I had the best night ive had out on while. Will definitely go back.

• Visited June 2014