Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Castle Bromwich
Ranked #79 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 11 January 2013

This hotel was not too bad. Doesn't have a swimming pool nor a restaurant (only for breakfast) bar prices TOO HIGH!!! £4.99 for a pint! Staff were very helpful. Lift broke three times during our 5 day stay. DO NOT use their wake-up call service if it is an important event in the morning. It was 2 hours late.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 December 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one night on a business trip. It was relatively cheap, I was prepared to stay in a basic hotel - but the castle bromwich inn was comfortable and convenient. The fact that a motorway runs along it does not really cause a problem. The rooms are spacious with good facilities. Cleanliness of the bathrooms could be improved, but isn't too bad. the breakfast was disappointing, only the basics (toast and cereal) were available.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tejas I
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stay in hotels on business on average 2-3 nights per week, so I know what to expect. When I stay in this area normally, I stay in Fort Dunlop down the road, for £35 per night. Whilst this has poor reviews on here, I find it perfectly adequate - small but clean and quiet. On this particular occasion, when I arrived at Fort Dunlop I realised I had booked for the wrong night, so phoned around and managed to get a room here. At £80-odd quid, more than FD, but I presumed I would get more for my mone
How wrong I was. I arrived in my room and it was in a poor state of repair, cold, and dirty. The shower area and toilet were particular poor, with poor grouting and staining. However, it was midnight and I was already shattered, so I decided to just mention it in the morning at reception.

At 3am I was awoken by the fire alarm. I headed downstairs and stood outside in the freezing cold, barefoot, along with the rest of the hotel, for half an hour. After this time, a member of staff came out and muttered to a few people Eventually word spread that it was a false alarm, but that noone on site could cancel it so we should go back to our rooms and wait.

20 minutes later, with my ears ringing, the alarm stopped, and I went back to bed. However, I couldn't sleep as there was music from the room next door. I phoned through to reception and they said they would try to stop it, but it carried on. This noise and the cold prevented me from sleeping for the rest of the night.

At 8am I got out of bed ready for my business meeting that morning. However, there was no hot water in the bathroom. I phoned reception and they said they would investigate and phone me back. They phoned me back 20 minutes later and said that the fire alarm had turned the boilers off (in which case, surely one of the other guests would have notified them before 9am?) - anyway, I had a little time before my meeting so decided to wait for the water to heat up. Well, 20 minutes later, the water was still not even lukewarm and so I had a freezing cold shower.

Following my cold shower I went downstairs and was immediately told that they would take 20% off my room rate for the fire alarm problem. I said that paying £60 for a substandard room to the one down the road I normally stayed in for £35 given the fire alarm and cold water problem was not acceptable. so asked to speak to the manager. She said again that they would only offer me £20 discount, and I had to pay £60. I refused. Driving home, I phoned my credit card company and was told that the hotel had charged the FULL £80 to the card I pre-authorised with. I shall be phoning them again tomorrow (Monday) to speak to their disputes team.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels and this was the first time I have ever even asked for a reduction in room rate. Cold, dirty, poor state of repair, fire alarm for 45minutes at 3am with poor communication, and a cold shower. Oh - and then they say they will knock £20 off and then charge the full amount to your card. STAY AWAY. Go to Fort Dunlop instead and pay £35 for a better hotel.

Room Tip: Go to Fort Dunlop instead
2  Thank Chris G
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Nice hotel and great value for money.
At least 2 people on reception, making it easy to check in and helpful throughout your stay.
Room was comfortable, warm and standard freeview tv. Nice and hot power shower which worked very well. The hotel was clean throughout and provided a good selection on the continental breakfast.
One night stopped down at the bar and enjoyed a pint whilst watching the tv in the communal area.
The location is 5 minutes from Sainsburys, Asda and lots of restaurants down the road (Fort Dunlop).

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I cancelled my booking in the Fort Dunlop Travelodge after reading the awful reviews on this site and booked into the Castle Bromwich Inn instead. I was very pleased with it - really good value for a Saturday night, and a good breakfast - good selection and plenty of it. Would not hesitate to book there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jane D
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I stayed here with several other people. Although the rooms were clean they were very basic but my biggest issue was that the water in my bathroom was brown!! There was about 5 other rooms that had this problem. I had to buy bottled water to make a bru. A couple of rooms had no pressure in the shower so it was just a trickle. Nothing worked. There was a couple of Ants in my shower and there were spiders in the breakfast dining area the next morning. Not the worst place in the world but not at all the nicest either.
Its also very noisy as the motorway is on one side of the hotel and the train track is on the other and there’s also planes going over as well!!

Reviewed 19 September 2012

This review is completely factual, and has been written to hopefully improve there standards:
Staff : fairly friendly
Clean: hotel was average, bathroom was dirty, toilet was dirty, towels had stains on them!
Appliances : you will be lucky if anything works , wifi was poor, toaster broken, hair dryer broken, iron broken !!!
Overall I would not advise anyone to stay there, the hotel needs to up its standards it was terrible, I will be making serious complaints.
I even found spiders on the breakfast in the morning !!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012