“Castle Bromwich Inn - AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Castle Bromwich
Ranked #80 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
London, England, United Kingdom
“Castle Bromwich Inn - AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night whilst away on a business trip. Cheap basic hotel. I booked through euro bookings online. Unfortunetly I was without hot water for my stay here so had a very cold shower in the morning - not giving me a great start to the busy business day ahead. HOWEVER the real trouble began when I requested to get some kind of refund/discount for the trouble of having no hot water. I spoke with Simon the general manager of the hotel upon my departure who had promised I would be able to receive a refund from Euro bookings if I contact them and arrange through Euro Bookings - who when I contacted claimed they were unable to process any kind of refund. As a result I contacted the hotel.

After my stay at the Castle Bromwich Inn off course Simon became completely unavailable and despite being promised a call from him by Receptionist Racheal I am still awaiting his call. Despite calling him a further 3 times in attempt to get hold of him I still to this day have been told he is "not around at the moment".

In the light of not being able to get hold of Simon Rachel tells me I booked through Expedia and provides me with a booking reference to get a refund from Expedia although Expedia have never heard of this booking reference and neither have I! Receptionist Racheal stated she has never heard of euro bookings (who I actually booked with) so "it is not her problem".

So a week on from my cold stay at the Castle Bromwich Inn I have been left ever more sour about my stay. The customer service is appalling and very unprofessional. It is important for staff to know where your hotel stays are being advertised and sold from otherwise as in my case Racheal has been very unhelpful as she is completely unaware that Castle Bromwich Inn hotel rooms are available on www.eurobookings.com so very unable to deal with myself as a customer!

Needless to say I will not be returning again and would recommend you don't either. I will make sure all of my chums who attend Spring Fair & Hobby Stitch @ the NEC every year are well aware this is not a hotel to stay at.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank KarenH2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The CB Inn just seems to work well for me and my business needs - just off the M6, easy access and plenty of parking.

Clean and functional rooms with room to work and relax - the continental buffet breakfast is all that's needed and great tables in the lounge for your laptop, plus instant and free wifi.

No restaurant, but call-in menus near reception and plates and cutlery made available - a curry and a pint after a busy day is just fine and affordable for most budgets. Room rates fair and value for money.

Staff friendly, so well done to all of them - they seem to care about their business

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Wittersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2013

This hotel was not too bad. Doesn't have a swimming pool nor a restaurant (only for breakfast) bar prices TOO HIGH!!! £4.99 for a pint! Staff were very helpful. Lift broke three times during our 5 day stay. DO NOT use their wake-up call service if it is an important event in the morning. It was 2 hours late.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one night on a business trip. It was relatively cheap, I was prepared to stay in a basic hotel - but the castle bromwich inn was comfortable and convenient. The fact that a motorway runs along it does not really cause a problem. The rooms are spacious with good facilities. Cleanliness of the bathrooms could be improved, but isn't too bad. the breakfast was disappointing, only the basics (toast and cereal) were available.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Tejas I
Chineham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stay in hotels on business on average 2-3 nights per week, so I know what to expect. When I stay in this area normally, I stay in Fort Dunlop down the road, for £35 per night. Whilst this has poor reviews on here, I find it perfectly adequate - small but clean and quiet. On this particular occasion, when I arrived at Fort Dunlop I realised I had booked for the wrong night, so phoned around and managed to get a room here. At £80-odd quid, more than FD, but I presumed I would get more for my mone
How wrong I was. I arrived in my room and it was in a poor state of repair, cold, and dirty. The shower area and toilet were particular poor, with poor grouting and staining. However, it was midnight and I was already shattered, so I decided to just mention it in the morning at reception.

At 3am I was awoken by the fire alarm. I headed downstairs and stood outside in the freezing cold, barefoot, along with the rest of the hotel, for half an hour. After this time, a member of staff came out and muttered to a few people Eventually word spread that it was a false alarm, but that noone on site could cancel it so we should go back to our rooms and wait.

20 minutes later, with my ears ringing, the alarm stopped, and I went back to bed. However, I couldn't sleep as there was music from the room next door. I phoned through to reception and they said they would try to stop it, but it carried on. This noise and the cold prevented me from sleeping for the rest of the night.

At 8am I got out of bed ready for my business meeting that morning. However, there was no hot water in the bathroom. I phoned reception and they said they would investigate and phone me back. They phoned me back 20 minutes later and said that the fire alarm had turned the boilers off (in which case, surely one of the other guests would have notified them before 9am?) - anyway, I had a little time before my meeting so decided to wait for the water to heat up. Well, 20 minutes later, the water was still not even lukewarm and so I had a freezing cold shower.

Following my cold shower I went downstairs and was immediately told that they would take 20% off my room rate for the fire alarm problem. I said that paying £60 for a substandard room to the one down the road I normally stayed in for £35 given the fire alarm and cold water problem was not acceptable. so asked to speak to the manager. She said again that they would only offer me £20 discount, and I had to pay £60. I refused. Driving home, I phoned my credit card company and was told that the hotel had charged the FULL £80 to the card I pre-authorised with. I shall be phoning them again tomorrow (Monday) to speak to their disputes team.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels and this was the first time I have ever even asked for a reduction in room rate. Cold, dirty, poor state of repair, fire alarm for 45minutes at 3am with poor communication, and a cold shower. Oh - and then they say they will knock £20 off and then charge the full amount to your card. STAY AWAY. Go to Fort Dunlop instead and pay £35 for a better hotel.

Room Tip: Go to Fort Dunlop instead
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Chris G

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Hayes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Nice hotel and great value for money.
At least 2 people on reception, making it easy to check in and helpful throughout your stay.
Room was comfortable, warm and standard freeview tv. Nice and hot power shower which worked very well. The hotel was clean throughout and provided a good selection on the continental breakfast.
One night stopped down at the bar and enjoyed a pint whilst watching the tv in the communal area.
The location is 5 minutes from Sainsburys, Asda and lots of restaurants down the road (Fort Dunlop).

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I cancelled my booking in the Fort Dunlop Travelodge after reading the awful reviews on this site and booked into the Castle Bromwich Inn instead. I was very pleased with it - really good value for a Saturday night, and a good breakfast - good selection and plenty of it. Would not hesitate to book there again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Edgbaston
Ibis Styles Birmingham Hagley Road
Grimscote Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Coleshill

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Castle Bromwich? Share your experiences!