“A1 from arrival to departure”

Atrium & Brasserie Restaurants
Ranked #180 of 2,198 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: European, British, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A1 from arrival to departure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is a 'hidden gem' - The University of Birmingham's Atrium restaurant combines high quality food, first class service and amazingly low prices. Starter? £2, Main? £4, Dessert? £2 - two people ate today for £23 - 3 courses, two sides and one glass of excellent Chilean red. Book up and enjoy a quality lunch experience.
Cloakroom service too - free. Students are happy and actually seem to enjoy serving / cooking - much more so than most commercial establishments.
Fab, fab, fab.

• Visited January 2014

West Midlands, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended - highest quality food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

Having eaten at the Atrium restaurant at UCB we have quickly returned to try the Brasserie. Lunch time menu costs £12.95 for 3 courses plus coffee. This is unbelievably good value, no wonder the place is always so busy. The menu offers 5 or 6 choices for each course. A selection of beautifully baked bread rolls were offered after we were seated. I started with fillet of red snapper with fennel, my husband had the ham & chicken loaf with pistachios and peppercorns. We were both absolutely delighted with our choices and could have eaten the same thing again as a main. However the main courses did not disappoint. I had guinea fowl while my husband chose lemon sole with seafood. The accompanying vegetables were cooked to perfection. To finish we had apple strousel with ice cream and jam rolypoly with custard. The rolypoly was the real deal and very filling! The coffee to finish was excellent. You need to book for a table here and it is very popular. The students are all very friendly and obviously more experienced than those serving in the Atrium. We had a table booked for 1pm and every other table was full when we arrived. This meant that a couple of choices on the menu had all gone. So an earlier eating time might be better if you want the full range. Having said that the choice was still excellent and the quality of food is unbeatable.

• Visited April 2013
West Midlands, United Kingdom
“Unbeatable quality eating at cheapest prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

I ate lunch in the Atrium Restaurant with 5 friends recently. The food is gourmet standard and three courses with tea or coffee to follow costs £8.50 per person. A waiter arrived with a choice of bread, I could have eaten the whole basket full it was so good; and luckily he returned with more bread when he saw people had eaten their first choice. I had pork belly and black pudding salad to start, the pork melted in the mouth and was the idea amount for a first course. The Tagine of Lamb was cooked to perfection but unfortunately was covered in chopped coriander for which I have an intolerance. I managed to rescue the lamb from the coriander and it was delicious but the couscous was lost to me! The dessert I chose was a kind of chocolate mousse which was as light as a feather. All six of us were very satisfied with our food and although there were only 3 or 4 choices per course everyone found somwthing they could enjoy. The is a bar and we chose one of the cheapest wines on the menu at about £13 and it was superb. More expensive wines are still loads cheaper than commercial restaurants. The food is cooked and served by students and the waiting staff showed their inexperience and were quite nervous, for example bringing a knife and fork for the starter where soup had been ordered. The supervisor quickly picked up on this and was unobtrusively monitoring everything the students were doing. All in all it was a great lunch and we intend to book the Brasserie for an evening meal as soon as we can. I have already booked a table for my husband and myself to enjoy this excellent cuisine together. An added bonus is the shop which sells loves of the delicious bread, as well as a range of cakes - all at bargain prices. I can highly recommend the fruit loaf cake at £1!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Jill B
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lunch with old friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

We had an excellent lunch here today. We were a group of four old friends. We had booked several months ago as I think booking ahead is essential. The atmosphere was excellent and service and food was very professional. We had the three course set menu and there was plenty of choice.
Some of our selections were: crispy poached egg on mushroom ravioli - the egg was poached perfectly with a firm white and runny yolk, inside a crispy crumb coating. The mushroom ravioli was very delicate with plenty of a variety of thinly sliced mushrooms. Beef with noodles was another choice, as was lamb tagine. This later was a small lamb shank on a bed of lemon couscous. All were served with a generous and perfectly cooked bowl of fresh vegetables. before the main we had gone for welsh rarebit with salad. This was beautifully presented and very good. One person had the calamari and she commented how fresh and well cooked it was. (No chewy rubbery bits.) For desert there was a beautiful lemon meringue or what was called apple strudel. This latter dish was the one disappointmengt. It turned out to be apple pie with a crumble topping with lots of fruit. It was excellent but those choosing it were disappointed at it not being a strudel with thin pastry. When we questioned this we were told it was a streusel but this wasn't made clear to us and those ordering it had not been corrected when they asked for the strudel. However, overall it was a wonderful meal and at under £10 per head it just has to be tried.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Bonny600
“Very nice food, good atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

My mother and I ate the 3 course set menu for 8.50. Around 3 options for all courses, with an added students dish of the day. As a vegetarian, I had only one option for each course, but found them to be delightful. And in the case of the cauliflower curry, unexpectedly so. Food was beautifully presented and service very attentive. Great lunch, couldn't really fault It. Lovely atmosphere and kind staff. Fantastic value for money and will definitely revisit.

2 Thank Amilie4246