“Best place to eat in Brum?”

Atrium & Brasserie Restaurants
Ranked #169 of 2,207 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: European, British, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Best place to eat in Brum?”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

An amazing little place. A group of three ate in the Atrium Restaurant, cost is crazy low for the type and quality of food. Shared a bottle of win which was also very affordable. Given that the students are learning how to serve and work in a fine dining setting they do very well. Tutor was on hand to guide at all times and seemed to run a very tight ship. Little surprises between each course just go to make the experience more enjoyable. Will certainly be going back for more.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank BenjisUK

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Could not fault, refreshing to see enthusiastic students and excellent teaching without me feeling I was in a training school. Service, food and price was first class. We had a beautiful bottle of wine - Sancerre at £18, which was very reasonable considering I normally would pay a lot more for this. Total bill £38 for 2 ...£10 each for 3 courses with coffee and wine.

When we booked ahead we were asked about dietary requirements, my husband advised about my seafood allergy. When we ordered our food, the waiter without prompting explained the fish dish contained sea food....I was very impressed...never has this happened to me before.

The setting was lovely and not of a college/ uni environment ....I will be back and may try one of the evening Themed events next time.

Visited March 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A1 from arrival to departure”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is a 'hidden gem' - The University of Birmingham's Atrium restaurant combines high quality food, first class service and amazingly low prices. Starter? £2, Main? £4, Dessert? £2 - two people ate today for £23 - 3 courses, two sides and one glass of excellent Chilean red. Book up and enjoy a quality lunch experience.
Cloakroom service too - free. Students are happy and actually seem to enjoy serving / cooking - much more so than most commercial establishments.
Fab, fab, fab.

• Visited January 2014
West Midlands, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended - highest quality food”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Having eaten at the Atrium restaurant at UCB we have quickly returned to try the Brasserie. Lunch time menu costs £12.95 for 3 courses plus coffee. This is unbelievably good value, no wonder the place is always so busy. The menu offers 5 or 6 choices for each course. A selection of beautifully baked bread rolls were offered after we were seated. I started with fillet of red snapper with fennel, my husband had the ham & chicken loaf with pistachios and peppercorns. We were both absolutely delighted with our choices and could have eaten the same thing again as a main. However the main courses did not disappoint. I had guinea fowl while my husband chose lemon sole with seafood. The accompanying vegetables were cooked to perfection. To finish we had apple strousel with ice cream and jam rolypoly with custard. The rolypoly was the real deal and very filling! The coffee to finish was excellent. You need to book for a table here and it is very popular. The students are all very friendly and obviously more experienced than those serving in the Atrium. We had a table booked for 1pm and every other table was full when we arrived. This meant that a couple of choices on the menu had all gone. So an earlier eating time might be better if you want the full range. Having said that the choice was still excellent and the quality of food is unbeatable.

• Visited April 2013
West Midlands, United Kingdom
“Unbeatable quality eating at cheapest prices”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I ate lunch in the Atrium Restaurant with 5 friends recently. The food is gourmet standard and three courses with tea or coffee to follow costs £8.50 per person. A waiter arrived with a choice of bread, I could have eaten the whole basket full it was so good; and luckily he returned with more bread when he saw people had eaten their first choice. I had pork belly and black pudding salad to start, the pork melted in the mouth and was the idea amount for a first course. The Tagine of Lamb was cooked to perfection but unfortunately was covered in chopped coriander for which I have an intolerance. I managed to rescue the lamb from the coriander and it was delicious but the couscous was lost to me! The dessert I chose was a kind of chocolate mousse which was as light as a feather. All six of us were very satisfied with our food and although there were only 3 or 4 choices per course everyone found somwthing they could enjoy. The is a bar and we chose one of the cheapest wines on the menu at about £13 and it was superb. More expensive wines are still loads cheaper than commercial restaurants. The food is cooked and served by students and the waiting staff showed their inexperience and were quite nervous, for example bringing a knife and fork for the starter where soup had been ordered. The supervisor quickly picked up on this and was unobtrusively monitoring everything the students were doing. All in all it was a great lunch and we intend to book the Brasserie for an evening meal as soon as we can. I have already booked a table for my husband and myself to enjoy this excellent cuisine together. An added bonus is the shop which sells loves of the delicious bread, as well as a range of cakes - all at bargain prices. I can highly recommend the fruit loaf cake at £1!

• Visited March 2013