“First Class Food”

Ranked #320 of 2,344 Restaurants in Birmingham
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have just visited the Brasserie at the College of Food in Birmingham. It was £13.95 for a 3 course menu and tea or coffee. There were 5 or 6 choices for each course which were served by the students and on this particular day there were also work experience students from a Solihull school. The Restaurant was lovely and airy and well decorated, the tables were nicely set with white tablecloths and napkins.

Some of the work experience students were very nervous which was to be expected, but they were very pleasant and helpful, the actual students of the college were much more confident.

The food was extremely good, we were a party of five and all enjoyed the various meals that we ordered. There was a choice of 6 wonderful puddings so it was a difficult choice to make.

If I have one complaint it would be that there was a lack of vegetables, but that is being very, very picky.

All this for £13.95 each plus the wine which was very reasonable price.

No wonder there is a waiting list!

2  Thank 186402Tallulah

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I've had the pleasure to have a dinner at the Atrium Restaurant and I was definitely impressed. From the beginning to the end, me and my friend had the feeling to be in a luxurious restaurant with one main difference: the price. I has been a real pleasure to be advised on the wine and dishes, the presentation was beautiful and we even visited the kitchen.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

An amazing little place. A group of three ate in the Atrium Restaurant, cost is crazy low for the type and quality of food. Shared a bottle of win which was also very affordable. Given that the students are learning how to serve and work in a fine dining setting they do very well. Tutor was on hand to guide at all times and seemed to run a very tight ship. Little surprises between each course just go to make the experience more enjoyable. Will certainly be going back for more.

1  Thank BenjisUK
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Could not fault, refreshing to see enthusiastic students and excellent teaching without me feeling I was in a training school. Service, food and price was first class. We had a beautiful bottle of wine - Sancerre at £18, which was very reasonable considering I normally would pay a lot more for this. Total bill £38 for 2 ...£10 each for 3 courses with coffee and wine.

When we booked ahead we were asked about dietary requirements, my husband advised about my seafood allergy. When we ordered our food, the waiter without prompting explained the fish dish contained sea food....I was very impressed...never has this happened to me before.

The setting was lovely and not of a college/ uni environment ....I will be back and may try one of the evening Themed events next time.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is a 'hidden gem' - The University of Birmingham's Atrium restaurant combines high quality food, first class service and amazingly low prices. Starter? £2, Main? £4, Dessert? £2 - two people ate today for £23 - 3 courses, two sides and one glass of excellent Chilean red. Book up and enjoy a quality lunch experience.
Cloakroom service too - free. Students are happy and actually seem to enjoy serving / cooking - much more so than most commercial establishments.
Fab, fab, fab.