“It's OK”

Travelodge Birmingham Yardley Hotel
Ranked #80 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 16 May 2014

First impressions from the outside was not good. The main entrance is quite small and there were men (about 4 if my memory serves me right) standing right at the doorstep smoking. Being a woman, I instantly felt intimidated (luckily I traveled with my husband). There was nothing hostile about the people but maybe a proper smoking area could be allocated for smokers? I mean we were only there for a day and maybe it does not happen all the time but imagine if it was a single lady or someone with kids? It was not a nice sight for any business I think (not that I think smokers are not a nice sight but at the entrance is really off putting).

The receptionist was a very friendly young lady who efficiently checked us in and took our payments.

Our room was at the first floor. It was bigger than what I anticipated, clean (apart from a lone tissue near the bin, probably from the previous occupants?) and the bed was comfortable. The duvet was not the warmest but hey, it was not very cold and there is heating in the room where you can adjust the temperature (not that we used it as I don't like heating). Surprisingly, it was not noisy at all even though there are cars parked right outside our window.

The toilet was clean, although the tissue paper was not new, there were 2 rolls in there, 1 was halfway gone and the other had about a third left in it, so not very much left, probably altogether it wouldn't even constitute a whole new roll. Even though we specified in the booking that it was for 2 adults, there was only 1 set of towels in the bath. My husband had to go to the reception to ask for another set, which we got without any problems at all. Talk about good service.

We did encounter one problem which I personally failed to mention to the receptionist the next day when we were asked if everything was alright. The handle bar was located near the taps for the bath, as my husband got in, he slammed his knee and cut himself badly because of the impact. It could be just a one off accident as I did not have any problems with it, but it could be a problem for taller people. I'm 5'8 and got in ok whereas my husband is 6'1. So future customers, watch out as it can be a problem.

The reception staff should get a pay rise as they deal with all the problems with a very efficient and apologetic way.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 May 2014

A comfortable stay. There was some noise from inside, but surprisingly little noise from outside given that it is on the A45. Unfortunate that the only options for breakfast are a breakfast bag or McDonalds.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed at Travelodge Yardley.There is a Travelodge at Birmingham Airport.Stayed for one night.Reception very customer service oriented ;).Rooms very big could have space to put in an sofa bed.Hotel off the main road so little traffic noise.
Internet first 30 minutes free then £3 for 24 hours.
Hair dryer had to ask at reception.Free parking outside.Check out no bad moments like some places to check room if I had taken the TV ;).
Will come back !
Did not try the breakfast but ate at big M outside.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Not usually much to say about a Travelodge, but I feel this one deserves a little extra credit for the friendliness of the staff.

The check in lady was great and even almost convinced me to go for one of those horrible looking breakfast boxes!

Good clean room, tv, usual tea and coffee. Enough said.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2014

A great 2 night booking - although next to a busy restaurant and busy road, we didn't hear any outside noise. Had a great nights sleep. Rooms smelt clean and fresh. The price was excellent, definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed here on Good Friday as we had tickets booked for cbeebies live at the lg arena. We had a family room for us and our twin toddlers. The room was very clean and fresh with everything you need for a stop-over, including tea and coffee of which we were offered more at reception if needed. There is a McDonald's next door and a world buffet restaurant on site, we ate there in the evening. We actually drove down to the new morrisons for breakfast, just 5 mins down the road. Our only issue was the fact there were no bed guards for our toddlers beds (which for the price, is unsurprising!) so we used all manner of furniture to keep them safe! I found the bed a bit uncomfortable but the pillows were great. Check out isn't until 12pm which is great if you don't want to rush off! We paid £30 advance booking for this room and would definitely return.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed at Travelodge Yardley, Birmingham and was really impressed by the Staff, the clean fresh room with clean fresh bedding and comfy bed. Travelodge really have got the economy hotel market sussed - I couldn't fault it and I have paid three times as much for no better service.

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Travelodge Birmingham Sheldon
#70 of 118 in Birmingham
1 mi away
Quality Hotel Birmingham South/NEC
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Travelodge Birmingham Sutton Col...
#5 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield

Been to Travelodge Birmingham Yardley Hotel? Share your experiences!