“One of the very first and one of the best”
Review of Saleem's - CLOSED

Saleem's
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Saleem's is one of the very first Birmingham Balti restaurants dating back to the 1970's and run by the same family to this day. It is probably The most traditional of all those in the triangle and has kept to the core principals of Balti, great food at a great price in simple, clean, understated surroundings. Don't be fooled by the neon signs and fancy interiors of others nearby, this is the real thing and I highly recommend you give it a try. Where else could you get a hearty three course meal served with a smile for £10?!

There are newer reviews for Saleem's

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We are currently working our way through all of the restaurants in the Balti Triangle, marking each against our unique criteria to add some spice to the venture! Saleem's has been a favourite for many years and is currently just edging out Diwan. 13 of the balti houses have been visited so far, so happily for my taste-buds there is plenty of time for them to be overtaken. My only word of caution is that they are now slightly more pricey than some of their competitors and that is a risky strategy with fierce competition and cash strapped customers.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stopped in here on our first night in Birmingham for our very first Balti. It was delicious! Friendly atmosphere. Had a nice talk with the owner about different regions of Pakistan.

If I could offer a constructive criticism, it would be to make it easier for someone who has never had a balti to order one. There seem to be a bezillion different configurations, like on a Chinese menu. When I said we were there for our first balti and we liked everything from spicy food to mutton, the owner could have answered with, "Then I suggest you try X or Y" instead of making us figure out what to ask for. It's very hard to know what to ask for when you only have a vague idea of what it is. In the end, I had mutton and okra. For me, that turns out to have been a good choice.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My Girlfriends father has been coming here for many years by himself and with his wife. But I went with My Girlfriend, Her Dad & Her Grandad, We had a mixed starter with samosa (meat & vegetable), pakoras which was really nice and all enjoyed it. main course came to £10 per head, great value and good food.
I will definitely come back to this place and I would recommend it to friends and family.

1  Thank MarkHickman
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Found this restaurant on the way back from visiting family for Christmas. Partner fancied an authentic balti and we were NOT disappointed. Fantastic food and very friendly staff.
Will absolutely visit here again as soon as we are in the area.