“Excellent”
Review of The Eaton Hotel

The Eaton Hotel
Ranked #11 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Lots of car parking. Efficient check-in.

Room was bright, modern, well furnished and equipped (for example, a safe and free wi-fi). Found the bed a bit on the soft side for my preference.

Had dinner in the restaurant. There’s an “a la carte” menu – the hotel website makes much of them using free-range beef , pork and lamb but there’s no mention of these on the actual menu. It also seems overly long for such a comparatively small place – the sort of menu where you might conclude they buy in a goodly amount of ready prepared stuff from the catering wholesalers. However, there’s also a three course table d’hote menu at £20, including coffee, which I thought was fine for quality and pretty reasonable value for money - and that's what I ordered from.

Breakfast was good. A buffet for the “continental” stuff and orders are taken for coffee, toast and cooked items. I had the full cooked breakfast and was pleased to see that, unlike many places, they are using decent quality ingredients.

I paid £60 for a room and breakfast which I thought was excellent value for money.
I was attending a conference, as I do every year, and have stayed at a number of places along Hagley Road. I reckon this is the best so far.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank harters
Ngkalavanas, Owner at The Eaton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Dear Harters,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall. Unfortunately your comments and assumptions about the restaurant are made without an understanding of the Eaton Hotel and its background.

The restaurant is well known and highly regarded in the Birmingham area and we have a large number of outside non-resident guests who dine throughout the week and particularly at weekends in the A la Carte restaurant. We are known for a good menu selection, which you mention, good portion sizes and excellent quality ingredients prepared on site. Unlike many corporate chains, our dishes are prepared in our kitchens and not in catering wholesalers.

Our meat supplier is Roger Brown who is locally based and provides superb quality free range and organic British meat. He supplies various restaurants in the area including Michelin restaurants. Our beef is matured for a minimum of 28 days and details about our meat are stated on the menu and the website.

I am upset that you did not ask about our clientele, menus and food preparation during your stay, and before posting any review, as we are very proud of our restaurant and more than happy to provide information to guests in relation to our catering.

The Eaton Hotel is quite unique in Birmingham and many of our regular residents stay precisely because of the restaurant - even those with budgets that would allow them to stay in hotels that are significantly more expensive.

Yours sincerely,

Nicholas Kalavanas
Director

Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

I was prompted to stay here by a colleague who's a regular and I was delighted to have done so. I will be swapping my usual Broad Street haunts for the Eaton in future.
When the free car park and free wifi that actually works is taken into account it's cheaper than the big chains but offers a far nicer and more personal experience.
Food and service was faultless and it's apparent that people come here just to dine. Plenty of menu choices in the evening and a full english cooked to order in the morning - much better than a heatlamp buffet.
My room was large, clean and comfy with all the expect amenities; spot on.
I would definitely recommend and will be staying again.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Brittaniamademedoit
Ngkalavanas, Manager at The Eaton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Dear Brittaniamademe,

Thank you for your feedback left on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The free car park, free wifi and you found the food and service was faultless. We offer all our guests good value for money and I will share your nice comments with the team.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed 25 March 2013

I had read the other reviews of this hotel and was really looking forward to staying there after spending a day and a night travelling. We arrived in the evening after a few days heavy snow in the area and were shocked that no attempt had been made to clear the snow in the hotel carpark. My husband had to request a shovel from reception and roll up his sleeves and clear a way for us to park in the carpark at the back of the hotel as the small carpark at the front was full. He also cleared a parking space for an older man who was also having trouble driving through the thick snow. When we showed our shock to the man on reception at having guests clear the snow themselves he shrugged his shoulders and said we should have parked at the front.
After a very non-friendly check in, we made our way up the stairs through the run down, grubby, paint chipped walled corridors (see photos) and, exhausted, took in the surroudings of our room. It was ok, and only ok, again with grubby scuffed walls. The bathroom was nice but with very little toiletries provided: one tiny shampoo and one tiny shower gel, which was unfortunate as due to the heavy snow we had not had a chance to stop to pick up toiletry supplies on the way assuming the hotel room would be laden down with supplies. We usually have so many toiletries we end up bringing a few home to the children, not this time though. Instead of facing the man on reception again to request more we decided to ration out our teeny tiny bottles and hope for the best. On the plus, we were located in a room at the back of the hotel and therefore our room was quiet for the night.
Breakfast the next morning was the usual hotel fare: a buffet of fresh fruit, some pastries (avoid the croissants - not the usual light buttery ones, very stodgy), yogurts, jams, juices, Weetabix etc.. all very nicely laid out. The best part of our stay was the friendly warm lady who served our hot breakfast, I had scrambled eggs on toast and my husband had the full breakfast, both of which were fine and cooked to order.
This hotel was good value for money but sometimes its better to pay a bit more for a better quality of stay. We would not return to this hotel.

2  Thank GalwayGirl1972
Ngkalavanas, Manager at The Eaton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

27th March 2013

Dear GalwayGirl1972,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us.

I'm disappointed that you weren't satisfied with your stay but we are pleased you were happy with your cooked breakfasts.

The snow was out of our control as it fell heavily overnight and in the earlier part of the day. We did have maintenance clearing the snow at later stage. You must appreciate that it is diffcuilt to keep on top of this continuously during bad weather.

We're in the current process of refurbishing the corridors and bedrooms as I speak. Apologies that you didn't feel there was enough toiletries in the room. Reception are happy to provide more when required. However, our toiletries are more than adequate for a guests stay and can be supplemented by the hotel when requested.

I feel that we provide a good service and product at a weekend price of £70 for a double room that includes English and buffet breakfast, unlimited wireless internet and car parking.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

We booked 5 rooms last weekend for a family wedding at the Botanical Gardens, just down the road from the hotel and couldn't have chosen a better spot. Our requested early check-in was met. Rooms were spotless, modern, comfortable, with excellent bathroom facilities and really quiet. Breakfast the next day was delicious and the staff were very friendly and helpful. As a bonus, it was excellent value for money too. Couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Golfing_girl
Ngkalavanas, Manager at The Eaton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Dear Golfing_girl,

Thank you for leaving feedback on Tripadvisor.I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, which I will share with the team. We aim to exceed guest expectations at every possible opportunity.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

A very good value hotel, comfortable and clean, excellent breakfast. Our only minor quibble was a lack of local information such as a good city tourist map, guides etc. available at reception. Otherwise fully recommended

1  Thank rgent

Dear rgent,

Thank you for your feeback on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay overall; and will share this with the team;however, I am disappointed with your comment about local information,we do have city maps at reception, and our team are more than happy to provide you with this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Modern smart decor and clean modern furnishings. Lovely comfy bed, very quiet. Tv, coffee facilities etc all up to scratch. Had a lovely time for short break visiting friends. Only thing to improve would be staff friendliness. Breakfast had good choice and tasted great.

1  Thank Roberts1648

Dear Roberts1648,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay here overall whilst visiting friends which I will share with the team. I am disappointed regarding staff friendliness, all our staff have been trained and have worked in the customer service industry for many years and always exceed guests expectations and friendliness.Please be assured that your comment will be the subject of our weekly departmental meeting to ensure any future disappointment avoided.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Needed a hotel at short notice to extend our stay in Birmingham and came across the excellent Tripadvisor reviews for the Eaton Hotel. The hotel certainly deserves the praise, spacious well appointed room, secure free wifi, on site parking and pleasant reception. We were somewhat taken aback by the restaurant, which far exceeded our expectations of a three star hotel. Well laid out and furnished, excellent menu and decent wine list – but please note; Monday to Thursday guests can enjoy a three course meal for £20 each, however this option is not available Friday to Sunday when the ‘a la carte’ menu is the only option – and three courses will set you back a lot more than £20!
Unfortunately reception had suggested that the £20 option was open to us (we were staying on a Saturday) and it was too late to seek out alternatives. The food was excellent, but we found the portions were simply too large (uncomfortably so).
The breakfast was simply excellent and the B&B rate represents good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RHMStirling
Ngkalavanas, Manager at The Eaton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

Dear RHMStirling,

Thank you for leaving feeback on Tripadvisor. We are glad you had enjoyable stay with us.
I do apologies if you were told £20.00 for three course meal option was offered to you for Friday and Saturday as this is not correct, I will speak to reception team regarding this, so it can be rectified.

We are happy that you enjoyed the food here. I'm sorry if you feel the portions are too big, we get great positive feeback from our customers on how big the portions are and great quality, we serve over the last 30 years we have been running.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you in the near future.