“very good comfortable hotel close to central Birmingham”
Review of Eaton Hotel

Eaton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
“very good comfortable hotel close to central Birmingham”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I've stayed here several times on business and always had a good experience, check in is efficient, there's plenty of parking, free wi-fi, the rooms are very nicely decorated and most of them are large and airy, the beds are very comfortable.

Breakfast is always lovely and our regular waitress is a treasure.

I would definately recommend

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kaytutt6
Ngkalavanas, Manager at Eaton Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear Kaytutt6,

Thank you for your feedback left on TripAdvisor. I will pass your kind comments onto the team.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Korean first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Me and my husband stayed here for 1 night as we were having a night away from our 2 children, the hotel was fantastic and in a great location near to bars and shops etc... All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful which made checking in and out very easy. The rooms are a good size and have everything you could need in them. The bathroom was a little tired looking and could do with tiles re sealing etc.. But that really didn't bother us or affect our stay however I know some people get upset about these things. The FREE car park was fantastic and had lots of spaces available, we have a very large car and I found it easy to find a space big enough. We ate at the hotel restaurant on the evening of our stay and found the food fantastic (the chocolate tart was amazing) breakfast was also very nice with a lot of choice. Overall a great hotel with good staff, nice food, a big car park and great rooms. Definitely worth the £70 paid.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank nicholson-867
Ngkalavanas, Manager at Eaton Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear nicholson-867,

Thank you for leaving feedback on TripAdvisor. We are pleased overall that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your kind comments to the team.
We pride ourselves offering excellent customer service and always pleased to recieve any feedback from our customers.

I do apologize regarding the bathrooms, we are in the middle refurbishing the last few bathrooms as I speak.

Truro, Cornwall
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed here in late April for five nights. Check in was friendly and speedy. We had a room at the back of the hotel overlooking the car park and, considering the busy location (the front of the hotel faces the Hagley Road) found it really quiet. Soundproofing between rooms was good too. Our room was well furnished, clean and comfortable.
All members of staff we encountered were unfailingly friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was of a high standard and speedily served though cooked items sometimes arrived before we had even started our breakfast cereal!! Free car parking in what seemed to be a reasonably secure area was a bonus.
We considered the Eaton Hotel offered really good value and would happily return.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel are probably quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian B
Ngkalavanas, Manager at Eaton Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Dear Ian B,

Thank you for your feedback which was left on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us and I will pass on your comments to the team. I will pass your comment onto the Breakfast Supervisor to ensure we don't bring breakfasts out so speedily in future if this is the case.

It is always great to hear positive feeback and once again thank you.

Hua Hin, Thailand
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We booked this as we wanted somewhere to stay that would give us easy access into Birmingham the next morning. The free on site car park was a real bonus. Very easy to find the hotel without having to get tied up with all the city centre traffic. Very clean and comfortable rooms. Staff friendly and helpful. And a great breakfast. Exellent value for money. This was our second choice as the hotel we usually stay in, just a few doors down the road, was full for the night we needed, but we will certainly be using The Eaton for future stays.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back away from teh main road.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chodzi
Ngkalavanas, Manager at Eaton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Chodzi,

Thank you for your feeback recently left on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed your breakfast. I will pass your comments onto the team and the kind words too about our team.
Yes, we offer FREE car parking to all our guests either staying overnight, attending a function or just coming in for a meal compared to other city hotels.

We hope to see you in the near future.

north west england
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Lots of car parking. Efficient check-in.

Room was bright, modern, well furnished and equipped (for example, a safe and free wi-fi). Found the bed a bit on the soft side for my preference.

Had dinner in the restaurant. There’s an “a la carte” menu – the hotel website makes much of them using free-range beef , pork and lamb but there’s no mention of these on the actual menu. It also seems overly long for such a comparatively small place – the sort of menu where you might conclude they buy in a goodly amount of ready prepared stuff from the catering wholesalers. However, there’s also a three course table d’hote menu at £20, including coffee, which I thought was fine for quality and pretty reasonable value for money - and that's what I ordered from.

Breakfast was good. A buffet for the “continental” stuff and orders are taken for coffee, toast and cooked items. I had the full cooked breakfast and was pleased to see that, unlike many places, they are using decent quality ingredients.

I paid £60 for a room and breakfast which I thought was excellent value for money.
I was attending a conference, as I do every year, and have stayed at a number of places along Hagley Road. I reckon this is the best so far.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank harters
Ngkalavanas, Owner at Eaton Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear Harters,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall. Unfortunately your comments and assumptions about the restaurant are made without an understanding of the Eaton Hotel and its background.

The restaurant is well known and highly regarded in the Birmingham area and we have a large number of outside non-resident guests who dine throughout the week and particularly at weekends in the A la Carte restaurant. We are known for a good menu selection, which you mention, good portion sizes and excellent quality ingredients prepared on site. Unlike many corporate chains, our dishes are prepared in our kitchens and not in catering wholesalers.

Our meat supplier is Roger Brown who is locally based and provides superb quality free range and organic British meat. He supplies various restaurants in the area including Michelin restaurants. Our beef is matured for a minimum of 28 days and details about our meat are stated on the menu and the website.

I am upset that you did not ask about our clientele, menus and food preparation during your stay, and before posting any review, as we are very proud of our restaurant and more than happy to provide information to guests in relation to our catering.

The Eaton Hotel is quite unique in Birmingham and many of our regular residents stay precisely because of the restaurant - even those with budgets that would allow them to stay in hotels that are significantly more expensive.

Yours sincerely,

Nicholas Kalavanas
Director
Nottingham
Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

I was prompted to stay here by a colleague who's a regular and I was delighted to have done so. I will be swapping my usual Broad Street haunts for the Eaton in future.
When the free car park and free wifi that actually works is taken into account it's cheaper than the big chains but offers a far nicer and more personal experience.
Food and service was faultless and it's apparent that people come here just to dine. Plenty of menu choices in the evening and a full english cooked to order in the morning - much better than a heatlamp buffet.
My room was large, clean and comfy with all the expect amenities; spot on.
I would definitely recommend and will be staying again.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Brittaniamademedoit
Ngkalavanas, Manager at Eaton Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear Brittaniamademe,

Thank you for your feedback left on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The free car park, free wifi and you found the food and service was faultless. We offer all our guests good value for money and I will share your nice comments with the team.

Kind Regards.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I had read the other reviews of this hotel and was really looking forward to staying there after spending a day and a night travelling. We arrived in the evening after a few days heavy snow in the area and were shocked that no attempt had been made to clear the snow in the hotel carpark. My husband had to request a shovel from reception and roll up his sleeves and clear a way for us to park in the carpark at the back of the hotel as the small carpark at the front was full. He also cleared a parking space for an older man who was also having trouble driving through the thick snow. When we showed our shock to the man on reception at having guests clear the snow themselves he shrugged his shoulders and said we should have parked at the front.
After a very non-friendly check in, we made our way up the stairs through the run down, grubby, paint chipped walled corridors (see photos) and, exhausted, took in the surroudings of our room. It was ok, and only ok, again with grubby scuffed walls. The bathroom was nice but with very little toiletries provided: one tiny shampoo and one tiny shower gel, which was unfortunate as due to the heavy snow we had not had a chance to stop to pick up toiletry supplies on the way assuming the hotel room would be laden down with supplies. We usually have so many toiletries we end up bringing a few home to the children, not this time though. Instead of facing the man on reception again to request more we decided to ration out our teeny tiny bottles and hope for the best. On the plus, we were located in a room at the back of the hotel and therefore our room was quiet for the night.
Breakfast the next morning was the usual hotel fare: a buffet of fresh fruit, some pastries (avoid the croissants - not the usual light buttery ones, very stodgy), yogurts, jams, juices, Weetabix etc.. all very nicely laid out. The best part of our stay was the friendly warm lady who served our hot breakfast, I had scrambled eggs on toast and my husband had the full breakfast, both of which were fine and cooked to order.
This hotel was good value for money but sometimes its better to pay a bit more for a better quality of stay. We would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GalwayGirl1972
Ngkalavanas, Manager at Eaton Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
27th March 2013

Dear GalwayGirl1972,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us.

I'm disappointed that you weren't satisfied with your stay but we are pleased you were happy with your cooked breakfasts.

The snow was out of our control as it fell heavily overnight and in the earlier part of the day. We did have maintenance clearing the snow at later stage. You must appreciate that it is diffcuilt to keep on top of this continuously during bad weather.

We're in the current process of refurbishing the corridors and bedrooms as I speak. Apologies that you didn't feel there was enough toiletries in the room. Reception are happy to provide more when required. However, our toiletries are more than adequate for a guests stay and can be supplemented by the hotel when requested.

I feel that we provide a good service and product at a weekend price of £70 for a double room that includes English and buffet breakfast, unlimited wireless internet and car parking.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope reconsider staying with us again in the future.