“1 night stay for a wedding, highly recommended”
Review of The Eaton Hotel

The Eaton Hotel
Ranked #12 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed here for one night to attend my cousins wedding nearby, it was one oftecrecomended hotel, i found it excellent value for money at £60 a night, the breakfast was excellent, the room was large and clean. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for good value accommodation near the City Centre

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 July 2013

We previously visited the Eaton Hotel in February this year, and overall were happy with our stay, I gave it 4 stars. It's disappointing that comments I made on the feedback form and in my in my review have been ignored: I complained about the flimsy plastic cups, and asked for glass tumblers, which were provided immediately, same this time, but as I said in the previous review, these should be standard in a hotel costing over £80 a night. The hospitality tray was very minimal, no biscuits, just enough milk for one hot drink each and a notice saying refills were available but may be chargeable!

The website says check-in is from 2.30pm. We arrive just after 2.30pm and were given a key, but when we got to the room not only was it not ready, servicing hadn't even been started. The door was locked but the TV was on, the bed hadn't been stripped and there were dirty towels in the shower. We went back downstairs with our case, the receptionist spent some considerable time unsuccessfully trying to find us a room at the back (as we'd requested) but it seemed none was ready for occupation. She was very apologetic, and delays happen, but she should have made sure the room was ready before sending us to it. As we were in a hurry, we left the case at Reception. We returned later in the evening, by which time there was a new receptionist who wasn't aware that we'd already checked in and didn't know where our case was - it had, fortunately, been taken to the room.

The free WiFi which is advertised didn't work. We mentioned this on our way out for dinner and were told it would be sorted, but when we got back at around 10pm it hadn't been. I called Reception, the man I spoke to was unfriendly and not in the least apologetic, but he gave us an access code for one of the other rooms. We did manage to use the WiFi with that code but the next morning it didn't work. Had we been there on business, this would have been a big problem.

We found the room to be very noisy, we were woken frequently during the night by the noise of bathroom fans from other rooms, it was extremely loud and even my husband, normally a sound sleeper, couldn't sleep through it. The sound insulation is obviously very poor and I can only assume that last time we stayed there mustn't have been many rooms occupied, as we didn't have this problem.

On a positive note, the bed was very comfortable and the shower excellent, breakfast was also very good. But at £82 a night, this hotel is overpriced, there should be more attention to detail, and some of the staff could have been friendlier. When we checked out, we weren't even asked if we'd enjoyed our stay or if we'd had any problems.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Violet1981
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We arrived to a friendly welcome and had a large comfortable room. The restaurant was very good - our breakfast was freshly cooked to order and in the evening, the menu was excellent and the food delicious. My husband was unwell during our stay and the staff were extremely helpful which was much appreciated. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DAmaths
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Staff genuinely warm and welcoming. Breakfast a must do. Down side was i was here on hottest weekend of the year. No air con only a fan, and due to noise of main road outside open windows meant no sleep. However windows did cut out road noise when closed Bed comfortable and shower fantastic. Room a little battered - tiles on floor of bathroom had broken grout. Overall good value for money and good location

Room Tip: Ask for room at rear of hotel to reduce road noise if you like open windows.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JennieCV
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We only stayed for one night, en route to Scotland. Very comfortable bedroom, power shower, freshly cooked English breakfast served on linen clad tables. A real gem of a place. Was only sorry that we were only staying one night! Will certainly book this hotel again if need accommodation in B'ham.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the hotel which was quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eileen O
Reviewed 3 July 2013

A pleasant Hotel, friendly Staff from the reception team to those at breakfast.The room was clean and a good size, with plenty of hot water and comfortable beds.
The breakfast was excellent, a good selection of fruits,pastries & cereals, and the large hot breakfast is freshly cooked, lots of toast and coffee by the pot..

A nice experience and I would thoroughly recommend the Eaton to anyone who wants a quality hotel and a very reasonable cost, with free parking.
Will stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear would probably be quietest, away from the main road, also beware this is a wedding...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnbla
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I'd read reviews on Tripadvisor before visiting and I had high expectations of the Eaton Hotel. It didn't disappoint. The reception area is decorated to a high standard and the staff are very friendly. There is free parking at the rear of the hotel, which is handy so close to the town centre.

The room was a decent size and had a little add on at the side for the dressing table and mirror which was nice. The bathroom was AMAZING. I'm stealing the design for my own house! The shower was huge and very powerful. The room had a 32" LCD TV, the biggest I've seen in any hotel room. The bed was very comfy and large, I only wish I could have stayed in it longer!

We stayed here to see a show in the town centre. Our taxi journey into town only cost us £6 and took 5 minutes, the hotel can ring a taxi for you.

The only downside I can possibly think of is that the maids are quite noisy in the corridors in the morning. Also they tried to service our room at 9am on the day we were checking out which was a bit of a nuisance and seemed a bit pointless as they'd have to come and clean the room again a few hours later. We did't try the breakfast as we preferred the sleep!

We will be staying here again in the not too distant future. In my opinion you cannot find a better hotel so close to the centre for so little (we paid £70 on a bank holiday weekend)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple