“Great value”
Review of The Eaton Hotel

The Eaton Hotel
Ranked #13 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We used the eaton based on trip advisor reviews and were delighted. Expecting quite basic for what we paid we were pleasantly surprised. Room was spacious and spotless with nice modern decor. Tea and coffee in the room. Public areas are very nice, we had a late drink in the bar which had lovely armchairs. Nice breakfast and we had good service. It is not rightin the centre but parking is free and not expensive to get a taxi

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel has excellent rooms and the service given by the staff is first rate, The restaurant offers a wide range of dishes and the service cannot be faulted. In particular Fay and Yvonne who seem to organise the breakfasts between them are wonderful - friendly, efficient and determined to give guests a good start to the day.

Just one very minor moan - the bedding smelled very slightly of bleach, but not enough to worry us.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here after reading many other reviews on Trip Advisor. There are many hotels on Hagley road, but many are chain hotels and this is a well established family owned hotel. The reception area was modern looking, with very friendly staff. On entering our room, it looked very fresh with good quality fittings throughout. Nice size very comfy bed, flat screen wall mounted TV and free WiFi. Nice bathroom with a very powerful shower and good quality towels. The breakfast selection was good with mini jams, marmalades, cereals, yoghurts etc. And a very well cooked full English breakfast. The breakfast staff were very friendly and took the time out to have a chat and also made sure everything was as it should be and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is approximately 1 mile from the town centre. We only stayed for 1 night, but If I needed to travel to Birmingham again I would not hesitate to rebook. Fantastic stay, thank you.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed at this place in December last year for my works Christmas Party, lets just say there was a fair few issues.Firstly on check in I was greeted by a lady I think her name was Catherine, she spoke to me then proceeded to carry on with her conversation with the lady standing at the edge of the desk. I found this very rude and inappropriate, check in quick and impersonal, I guess the ladies had more to talk about.
Next was the maze trying to find my room, which was located on the second floor, when I eventually found my room I was pleasantly surprised, this was until closer inspection.
- The bed linen was grubby
- Stains on the pillow cases
- A long brown hair in the bed (I am blonde)
- One of the plug sockets did not work
- The carpet was stained
- The sofa looked like it had never been cleaned, wasnt even suitable for my case
- One of the curtains didnt pull all the way across
- The only thing I cant fault was the bathroom, it was modern and clean.
How can the housekeepers clean the bathroom so well and somehow slack on the bedroom?
Not the most welcoming area surrounding the hotel, I recommend a taxi.
I got back to the hotel around 11.30pm only to encounter what can only be described as a lady of the night with her customer, having a dispute.
As a woman travelling alone this was very un-nerving I cant say I slept well.
Breakfast was very tasty, but I felt rushed.
The checkout couldnt come quick enough, it was the same lady who checked me in, the check out was fine, I was about to raise my concerns but she continued her cup of tea, so clearly that was more important.
I will never stay here again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Charlotte W
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This is the 4th time we have stayed in this hotel. I wouldn't even think of staying in another hotel in B'ham and would recommend to friends. Comfortable room, good shower, delicious breakfast served on linen clad tables with pleasant, helpful staff, and an extremely reasonable cost. What more could you want?

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Our welcome was phenomenal. And the food was superb. Both starters were delicious and the main courses were lovely. Right up until I found a hair. I know that this is almost inevitable but it was the way they handled it that was awful. No acknowledgement. No apologies. No offer of free coffee/compensation. Needless to say we didn't pay for that main course. I have to say that everyone was treated very well; the atmosphere was lovely and I will go back again. Just to check that they can live up to the very high expectation my mother has come to love on a regular basis.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

This is a 3* hotel and it is probably better than that. It's an old hotel that has been renovated and the rooms are very nice. Showers excellent if they stay hot. Being an old hotel - the floors do creak so you hear more than you want. Good breakfast with great staff there. Reception staff could get a lesson in customer service from the ladies at breakfast. Have to say - it was good value for money overall. If there was a GOOD rating on TA - I'd have said that.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business