“Only stayed one night but very good hotel”
Review of The Eaton Hotel

The Eaton Hotel
Ranked #12 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Although on a very busy road we found the room well insulated and we slept well. We had Room 205 on the top floor, facing the road. It was spacious, large comfortable bed, recently renovated shower room with spacious shower cubicle.The reception staff were excellent and dealt with our questions speedily. We had some problems with the wifi in the early evening probably because of lots of people on line - early the following morning it reached good speeds. My only adverse comment would be the breakfast. The buffet was an excellent selection of fruits and cereals. My request for 2 soft-boiled eggs proved too much of a challenge. We thought the bread used for the toast was not really up to the standard of the rest of the meal. These are, however, minor whinges and the restaurant service was very good although they were very busy.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are spacious and well insulated from road noise.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Had my 65TH birthday party at the Eaton, as have organised other party's there. This hotel does not get the credit it deserves, the food is fabulous, they will mix menu's for you. The banqueting manager Robert Martin spends time to discuss yours requirements in a friendly but professional way. The restaurant serves wonderful meals and the rooms are spacious and well equipped. I will always look at the Eaton first , would not go anywhere else as service is never as good as we get from the owner Maria and her staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Great hotel for all types of conference or function. Have held Federation schools here for years, staff very friendly and approachable.
Rooms very good and clean, a bit of noise if in front rooms as face busy Hagley Road.
Restaurant provides very good food and there's lots of it. bar prices are a bit dear but acceptable.
Function facilities are very good and plenty of space for all types of function.

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We used the eaton based on trip advisor reviews and were delighted. Expecting quite basic for what we paid we were pleasantly surprised. Room was spacious and spotless with nice modern decor. Tea and coffee in the room. Public areas are very nice, we had a late drink in the bar which had lovely armchairs. Nice breakfast and we had good service. It is not rightin the centre but parking is free and not expensive to get a taxi

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel has excellent rooms and the service given by the staff is first rate, The restaurant offers a wide range of dishes and the service cannot be faulted. In particular Fay and Yvonne who seem to organise the breakfasts between them are wonderful - friendly, efficient and determined to give guests a good start to the day.

Just one very minor moan - the bedding smelled very slightly of bleach, but not enough to worry us.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here after reading many other reviews on Trip Advisor. There are many hotels on Hagley road, but many are chain hotels and this is a well established family owned hotel. The reception area was modern looking, with very friendly staff. On entering our room, it looked very fresh with good quality fittings throughout. Nice size very comfy bed, flat screen wall mounted TV and free WiFi. Nice bathroom with a very powerful shower and good quality towels. The breakfast selection was good with mini jams, marmalades, cereals, yoghurts etc. And a very well cooked full English breakfast. The breakfast staff were very friendly and took the time out to have a chat and also made sure everything was as it should be and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is approximately 1 mile from the town centre. We only stayed for 1 night, but If I needed to travel to Birmingham again I would not hesitate to rebook. Fantastic stay, thank you.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed at this place in December last year for my works Christmas Party, lets just say there was a fair few issues.Firstly on check in I was greeted by a lady I think her name was Catherine, she spoke to me then proceeded to carry on with her conversation with the lady standing at the edge of the desk. I found this very rude and inappropriate, check in quick and impersonal, I guess the ladies had more to talk about.
Next was the maze trying to find my room, which was located on the second floor, when I eventually found my room I was pleasantly surprised, this was until closer inspection.
- The bed linen was grubby
- Stains on the pillow cases
- A long brown hair in the bed (I am blonde)
- One of the plug sockets did not work
- The carpet was stained
- The sofa looked like it had never been cleaned, wasnt even suitable for my case
- One of the curtains didnt pull all the way across
- The only thing I cant fault was the bathroom, it was modern and clean.
How can the housekeepers clean the bathroom so well and somehow slack on the bedroom?
Not the most welcoming area surrounding the hotel, I recommend a taxi.
I got back to the hotel around 11.30pm only to encounter what can only be described as a lady of the night with her customer, having a dispute.
As a woman travelling alone this was very un-nerving I cant say I slept well.
Breakfast was very tasty, but I felt rushed.
The checkout couldnt come quick enough, it was the same lady who checked me in, the check out was fine, I was about to raise my concerns but she continued her cup of tea, so clearly that was more important.
I will never stay here again

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends