“Really good quality and value for money”
Review of The Eaton Hotel

The Eaton Hotel
Ranked #13 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 16 May 2010

This hotel is really good value for money and ideal for travel for business or pleasure. The rooms have all the facilities you would expect and are recently refurbished to a very good standard. The food is great, I would even recommend you have dinner. The choice is super and all very good value for money, particularly the set menu which is changed daily at £19 which also includes coffee. The breakfast main course is freshly cooked with a good choice on the buffet. All staff are very helpful. Parking is good and relatively secure. For those without their own car there are frequent buses outside the hotel to Birmingham City Centre which isn't really walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank RosieWarwick

Reviewed 9 May 2010

We arrived from Canada and this was the second time that we had stayed at this hote, the first time for 5 nights and this time for 11 nights. We could not ask for a better hotel at this price and cannot say enough good things about the hotel. The breakfast was excellent, the bed comfortable, the room large, the cleanliness second to none and the staff friendly and helpful.The parking is great with plenty of spaces and the locality is no more than 10 minutes from the city centre.
We would stay here again without a doubt, it is the best deal in town.I hope that they don't read this and put the prices up.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brummy100
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I stayed at the Eaton Hotel for two nights on business and had a very comfortable stay. The staff at the Eaton were extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms large, clean and comfortable and equipped with all of the relevant facilities (iron, hairdryer, flat-screen TV). I particularly loved the power shower which was a joy to wake up to. The only slight shortcoming was with the evening meal I had. The hotel restaurant does a three course set meal for a very good value £19 including coffee and petite fours, however the quality of the main course and sweet were a little disappointing. The main course (cod on a bed of leeks) had a strange bitter flavour, and the fruit crumble was seriously undercooked - the crumble was just a sweet liquid rather than solid crumble. Other than those shortcomings, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend this hotel to other guests.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Everything was excellent- clean, welcoming easy parking. Husband recovering from broken ankle. Given room clocse to lift. One of the best breakfasts we have ever had in a hotel. Ideal for the Jewellery Quarter. Only drawback- no meals on Sunday nights.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2010

The hotel exceeded our expectations handsomely. It is very good. We understand that it was refurbished three years ago. There are slight signs, of paint scuffing and the like, that fit with such a date; we trust that the hotel will be able to keep up its high standards.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2010

I had to travel to Birmingham to attend a funeral (on 9 April 2010), so I needed a reasonably-priced hotel, in easy reach of the city centre. I nearly always consult Tripadvisor before booking, but in my rush to make arrangements, I let my usual routine go. More fool me - my blood ran cold when I read some of the Tripadvisor reviews of the place I had originally booked. So while it was really cheap, I decided I'd bear the loss and re-book at the Eaton - the No 1 Tripadvisor listing for Birmingham at the time of writing. The rate I paid was £65 for a double room, breakfast included.
I read in a number of reviews that some people were disappointed with the Eaton and found it lacking in a number of respects (poor reception staff, dark bathrooms, dated restaurant), but my experience of the hotel was extremely good. An earlier reviewer complained that they weren't allowed to take up occupancy of their room when they arrived early, but the charming young man on reception (10.30am, Friday 9 April 2010) couldn't have been more helpful. I explained that I wanted a nice, quiet room, at the back of the hotel, but I also told him that although I was going to a funeral, my husband wasn't, so could he be allowed to check in now? We were given the option of checking into a vacant room now, or holding out for one of the back rooms, until staff had had time to prepare it. My husband decided to wait and was very pleased with the room when he checked in - still two hours ahead of schedule. Delighted with the service we had received so far, we decided to check out the restaurant as a possibility for our evening meal. Other Tripadvisor reviewers found the restaurant a little dated in decor and thought it very 'Fawlty Towers' that meals are still flambed at the table. Well, perhaps it's my age, but when I order something that should be cooked in a particular way, I like to watch it being prepared, to ensure it's done the way I like it.
I ordered what is, admittedly, classed as a 70s favourite - a Steak Diane - but it was cooked to absolute perfection. And as other reviewers noted when they ate there, the accompanying veg was fantastically cooked - obviously freshly prepared and not sitting on the pass in the kitchen, being kept hot by overhead heat, so it dries out. And the service was excellent. [Breakfast, too, was good, with a wide range of fresh fruit, meats or cheeses, while the Full English - also prepared to order - could not be faulted]. The bill for dinner came to around £73, but that was with two drinks from the bar, two 'top end' main courses, a half bottle of wine, a bottle of water and liquor coffees (yes, yes, very 70s again, I know).
I think if you are in town for business, and like to stay in a Copthorne or Hilton, so that you can use the gym or pool, this small hotel obviously won't suit. But if you want a comfortable, well-appointed room, with the option of dining in restaurant which serves food the way it used to be served, 10 minutes from the city centre (£1.70 from Colmore Row by bus) this is the place for you. Okay, the restaurant decor is very 'Mother's Day', as opposed to 'cutting edge funky'. But I think the hotel owners have done the right thing in not alienating many of the more well-heeled locals, who obviously eat there regularly. On the Friday night we dined there, at least 10 other couples, who weren't residents, had booked in - as well as three family parties. And while there appears to still be a black slate thing going on in the bathroom, it was light enough for me to be able to apply slap without specs, so someone has obviously addressed the lighting gripes of previous reviewers.
If I were to be really picky, I'd say the only thing I could complain about the fact that the doors must be relatively thin, as it was easy to be distracted by the inconsiderate behaviour of some of the hotel's guests, coming in late, laughing, joking and shouting outside the rooms. But the hotel can't be held responsible for bad manners. You might get a cheaper room on the Hagley Road, taking pot luck on quality and standards. But I think that if you book at the Eaton, you'll be getting a consistency of service - which in my experience, was very good. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2010

I stayed at the Eaton Hotel for 2 nights with my partner at the beginning of March, after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. It was amazing value - £65 pppn for bed, breakfast and free secure parking (which sealed the deal for us!). Our room with king sized bed was lovely, comfy bed, spacious room and fab bathroom - the power shower was exactly that! The breakfast was great - help yourself continental, with a great selection, and cooked to order hot breakfast. We didn't need lunch! The location was ideal for us as well. We would happily stay at the Eaton again, and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple