“A delightful stay”
Review of The Eaton Hotel

The Eaton Hotel
Ranked #13 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 July 2010

What a lovely hotel, we have just returned from a delightful three night stay. Our room was spacious and fitted to a high standard. There was ample car parking and also a nice outside space to sit and have a pre-dinner drink The food was excellent, we had breakfast and dinner on all three days. The staff were very friendly and helpful with directions as this was our first visit to Birmingham. The location is great for getting into the city by bus but also close to routes to travel farther afield. We would certainly stay here again when visiting the area.

1  Thank InterestedVisitor

Reviewed 17 July 2010

Came to Birmingham to see Tony Bennett perform at Symphony Hall on July 3 and stayed 2 nights at the Eaton Hotel. What a great place! Were given a very warm welcome and found everyone at the hotel to be extremely nice and helpful. Room was impeccably clean, very quiet and surprisingly spacious. Free wi-fi was working very well and breakfast a real treat (with a large selection fresh fruit – e.g. strawberries, oranges, kiwis, pineapples – lovingly prepared each morning, plus continental breakfast and full English breakfast cooked to order). As far as we’re concerned, the Eaton Hotel is deservedly ranked as no. 1 in Birmingham, and we would definitely return if we should come to Birmingham again.

Reviewed 15 July 2010

This hotel has been renovated to a high standard. The rooms are very comfortable with plasma TVs and the bathrooms have power showers.

The breakfast, which was included in the price, was excellent - large selection of fresh fruit and hot food cooked to order.

All staff were very friendly and helpful

Reviewed 10 July 2010

My partner and I stayed at the hotel during May for one night. It was easy to find and had a huge car park.

The rooms were quite large and the beds comfortable. The staff were really pleasant and genuinely nice too.

We got in at around 12am from a concert and the receptionist offered to bring us take away menus as we were a bit peckish, which was very much appreciated as there were no bar snacks available.

The dining room/bar area is very dated and run down but I didn't really mind this. There are a few draught beers on offer at the bar and lots of choice at breakfast time.

Breakfast was a bit bland (scrambled eggs, mushrooms etc) but portions were large and the service was lovely.

Overall a great place to stay and would go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2010

As my fiance tends to just book the nearest big 'chain' hotel to wherever we're going, I thought I'd take the initiative and find somewhere a bit different for our mid-week trip to Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter. I wished I hadn't bothered - he managed not to say "I told you so", but it must've been difficult.
The entrance and lobby give a great impression; but once upstairs the dissapointment began. The corridors were undergoing refurbishment - but it didn't look as though there was any hurry to complete the work. Carpets were stained and flithy. It all smelt a bit musty. I was so disappointed. What a difference to the lobby area!
The room was large enough and the bed comfy but the fittings were tired and not overly clean. The bathroom had cheap plastic finishes on the walls and floor and the WC seemed to be leaking. No nice tiles and new fittings in our room!
Breakfast (a big choice with good portions on the cooked to order menu plus 'continental' bits of varying quality) was tasteless - is scrambled egg that difficult? - and the dining room was very tired. Service was OK, but then there as only us and one other in the room...
I get the impression this hotel has started a fantastic refit and stopped part way through??? But they shouldn't let the unfinished area - it let the whole place down. Ask for one of the refurbished rooms would be my advice - and don't risk it if they're all booked.

Reviewed 10 June 2010

I stayed one night in this hotel prior to a meeting the following day. I found it online through TripAdvisor and I was not disappointed when I arrived. There were lots of parking spaces out front and many more around the back. Even when full I think this hotel has room for everyone to park easily. The desk staff were very friendly, as was every other staff member I met during my stay.

The room was much larger than I expected after I had booked a "single" for £70 for the night. It had a large double bed and everything was very clean. The decor was modern and there was a good supply of all the toiletries I needed. I had a good view of the road outside and if you park your car out front you should be able to watch it (if that's your thing!).

The room was quite well equipped. It seems each room has its own WiFi hotspot and the details were on a sign affixed to the wall. There was a large LCD TV on the wall and the hotel has this tuned directly to Freeview with no annoying systems in-between. This means that the picture was widescreen and it is possible to use 'red button' services just like Freeview at home. There was also a set of composite phono inputs, so it would be possible to bring a games console and plug it in while in the room. The wireless internet was very fast by hotel standards and I was able to get the work I needed to do done in what was also a very quiet room.

The only negative thing I can say about the room is that it was very, very warm. I visited during a very hot spell in May and the only cooling in the room was a desk fan. It wasn't sufficient to cool the room and really I would have thought that they would have air conditioning.

In the morning I went downstairs for a very nice breakfast which was included in my room rate. There was a great selection of food and if you wanted anything hot it was always cooked to order. Everything tasted very good and I can't fault the service in the restaurant either. The staff were friendly and welcoming.

Overall a very nice stay and if I find myself in Birmingham again I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank italicBus
Reviewed 6 June 2010

The hotel was next to many other hotels that had better rates. The room we stayed in was facing the garbage bins. There was also a lot of noise with the air vents/ducts located close to the room we were offered. This meant quite a bit of noise. The free wireless internet offered wasn't working with the codes given in the room, but the problem was easily resolved.

The breakfast was very nice with many choices. The staff attending to the breakfast were very attentive.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank vancouverpatel
Ngkalavanas, Manager at The Eaton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2010

In response to this guest's review I would like to make the following comments:

Why is there mention that other surrounding hotels had 'better' rates? Our rates are very reasonable and excellent value for the standard of accommodation that we offer. The many reviews posted both on Tripadvisor and other sites would seem to substantiate this. Cheaper rates are usually matched by the overall quality provided.

In terms of the room location mentioned in the review, we have not had any previous issues raised by other guests in the 5 years that I have operated the hotel, nor are we aware of any complaints from any family booking in May. We would also offer an alternative room whenever possible if a guest was experiencing problems with their accommodation, and would always do our utmost to resolve any other issues that a guest may be experiencing.