“Would not stay again”

Ranked #39 of 52 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Would not stay again”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Although the staff were helpful, had to wait to be booked in until customers at the bar had been served. Fixtures, fittings and bedding in the room were broken, stained, grubby. Bizarre collection of empty bath salts bottles in the bathroom. Broken tiles on floor were a hazard, I injured my toe on them. Nice breakfast but no decaff coffee available anywhere on hotel.

Room Tip: OK asa pub, but would not recommend staying unless you are too drunk to notice surroundings
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Although this hotel is in a near enough location to city centre it is next door to the football stadium. (A nightmare if there is a match on). The photos of the rooms have been taken well but are misleading when you arrive to a overly loud bar, terrible parking system and rude and unwelcoming customer service. The rooms smell like smoking areas and in addition you have many residents allowed to make as much noise as required at all times through the night be that 1am or 5am. Will not be staying here again!

• Stayed March 2014

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Surrey, England
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I needed a dog friendly hotel within a reasonable distance of the NEC whilst visiting Crufts, and found most of them way too expensive, especially the larger chain hotels. The Royal George seemed to fit the bill, and was a very reasonable £55 per room per night. I was concerned that as it was part pub and beside the Birmingham City FC ground that it would be noisy. Amazingly not! No games were being played whilst we were there, so no problem, and in any case any games would have finished before bedtime.
Yes, the hotel is fairly basic, but freshly presented, clean, good sized rooms, and had everything needful. Super shower and plentiful hot water, very comfortable enormous beds, and a surprising nice basement breakfast room with a very full English breakfast included in the price. Friendly bar. Staff could not have been nicer or more helpful, and were very welcoming of my dog. Parking a little limited, but there seems to be overflow parking available on the football ground (which is locked at night so safe). I highly recommend.

Room Tip: The whole area seems quiet at night,, despite being walking distance to the city centre, so not awar...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Twyford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I'm not going to waste anymore of my time than I have too.

Took payment before we even arrived at the place. After having to smash our car up an incredibly high curb to enter the car park, we were greeted by intoxicated patrons of the pub at the door, then welcomed by a young girl who couldn't get rid of is quick enough. Room was small but well decorated and the bed was comfy. The room was dirty, kettle but no water, smashed loose tiles on the bathroom floor, shower head hanging off, the room smelt of smoke, and the smoke detector had a bag tapped over it. Loud music from the bat filled out room until hone midnight. I could go on and on.

Awful. A real shame as it looked so nice on the photos.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A10REU
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel last weekend! I had many faults I would like to share... All in all I was disappointed by the stay altogether. For starters when we got to the hotel there was no clear indication to where the reception was and after looking and wondering if we were in the right place it turned out to be behind a bar?! I found this very unprofessional and the staff didn't seem very trust worthy as there was no uniform and I felt I was staying in a night club. Secondly after finding the reception I was assumed to be who I was and not asked my name by any of the staff, not like I could hear any of the staff at all because of the inappropriate loud music in the hotel itself!! next having to go through a door behind the bar was rather shady and didn't feel safe, not only did it look and feel dodgy it was also full of hazards as my boyfriend tripped and nearly fell which I thought deserved an apology but yet again the staff didn't say a word and nothing could be heard because of the loud music. once actually finding our room we then found it nice and relaxing until we actually sat down after unpacking and could only hear the noise of the music that was right below us! I thought this was appalling as we were placed right above the noisiest room and to be playing that loud music on a Saturday night in a hotel isn't professional at all! after actually getting over this and being very annoyed as we had a very early morning get up I felt like the music would be turned off at 12 (which is a reasonable hour) but I was mistaken and it continued till 2 in the morning! I thought this was rude for the guest that have paid money to stay and to not get any sleep till that time is appalling on the hotel! I think this is not a place I will ever be staying again! not to mention when I arrived there I noticed that my payment of the room had been taken out of my bank already. the website clearly states that no payment until arrival and in my case I wanted to pay on a different card but figured to be to late which I didn't like at all! Lastly when leaving the hotel at the early hours of half 6 it said there was reception service from 6 in the morning... when we departures and left there was no one around and all the gates were locked! this made us feel unsafe and late for our event and it was only lucky that someone heard us and opened the gate for us to leave!! hopefully you'll take up my points to improve as I won't be recommending you to anyone as my stay was the worst stay of my life.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank danniwood20
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Four of us were attending the National Exhibition Center and were advised by a colleague to try the Royal George, as he had stayed there the previous month, while visiting Birmingham on business.
We arrived to a very friendly welcome and and enjoyed a drink in the bar.
Our rooms were spotless and the shower was modern and powerful. The rooms seemed to be recently built or renovated and were cozy and warm.
The off street parking was great and the area itself very quite at night.
The next morning, we had the most amazing breakfast, served by friendly staff, which actually kept us going through the day at the Trade Fair, so not having to bother with Lunch.
We stayed there for 5 nights in total, and it was very good value, seeing as most hotels were increasing their rates for the duration of the Show at the Exhibition Center. I still miss the breakfast !!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Trouble getting into the car park had to go and ask a woman at the bar to let me in which she wasnt best pleased about, arrived on car park to find bar packed with football fans which was no problem considering a match day, however after taking our stuff to the room in the very noisy lift we returned for a pint of beer which seemed like it had been scraped off the floor and put in my glass. I then decided to go for a cigarette to my amazement two young teenage boys taking what looked like cocaine on the car park they then were spitting all over the floor and talking about fighting fellow football teams. The room itself was cold, lacked a remote control, and the "power shower" was a lot to be desired. On return from our outing with a takeaway we were greeted by drunk old men asking if they could share my takeaway with us. Breakfast was the only perk to our stay. Wont be going again!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple