“Decent hotel”

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #22 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Stayed here for one night recently.

Stay started with a slightly frustrating exchange with front desk over the nature of a Visa card (tedious, probably my fault). The room I was given was large and equipped in the "Malmaison" style, having a lot of dark wood, dark carpets and recessed lighting. The bed was enormous (I could pretty much lie across it). Shower was fantastic. TV had a good number of channels and was not the usual fuzzy, hotel fare.

Rest of the hotel was impressive as well. Decor is quirkly but to my taste. Bar was still jumping at 1am when I rolled into the hotel which, when you fancy one last pint, is a very good thing indeed.

There were annoyances. Someone had dumped an empty packet of fags in my bin, which seems odd in the extreme when the rest of the room had been well cleaned. The room lacked silly things like pen and paper to write on.

This is a chain hotel and is, therefore, likely to fall down on occasions. Not on this one though. Certainly the best Brum hotel I have stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank LPCMan

Reviewed 24 June 2011

I stayed with work for one night and everything was excellent. I was pleased with the room-very ample size and nice touches such as the bottle of wine and glasses. All very clean and very comfy bed.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank andreampearson
Reviewed 21 June 2011

This is the second posting of this review. I initially gave the Malmaison 3 out of 5, but events since meant I needed to edit the review and bring it down.

We had a one night stay at the Malmaison to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary on May 28th. We booked an "Eats, Sleeps, Drinks" package for £160, which included a "standard" double room, two-course evening meal with a bottle of wine and breakfast. The website says "There's nothing standard about our standard rooms", I'd beg to differ; there was nothing different from a standard double in any other chain hotel. Yes, the decor was nice; yes, the bed was comfortable, but that was about it. The room had a large double bed, large LCD TV, a desk with chair and wired internet access, a wingback chair and coffee table. If they'd made the bed slightly smaller, they could have put a comfy sofa in the "standard" room. The minibar in the room was expensive (£3.60 for a small can of beer, £1.50 for a can of coke!), but that's par for the course.

The signage to the rooms is confusing as the corridors go off in three directions and the numbers don't always follow in sequence.

The evening meal in the brasserie was nice enough, the two course menu actually provided a nicer choice of meals than the main menu, and the included bottle of house wine (we had a red) was nicely drinkable.

Breakfast was disappointing. Advertised as £12.50 for continental or £14.50 for a hot breakfast, I chose the Mal Big Breakfast (bacon, sausage, toast, tomato, mushroom, black pudding and your choice of eggs). For £14.50, I felt short changed.

At check-out, we didn't get a printed invoice either. This would prove to be ironic considering what happened later on....

Prices for Sunday and week-night stays in the same style rooms are significantly cheaper and provide better value. The Suite prices are strictly for an extra-special treat only, wish I would have afforded it for this occassion.

The atmosphere in the hotel, bar and brasserie was very good, lots of mood lighting and ambienece but the overall experience was deflating.

In the days since, my bank statement came through. We'd been charged £210 instead of the advertised £160. I called the Malmaison and spoke to Accounts, who said they would look into it and call me back. Sure enough, an hour later I got a call and had it explained that we'd been charged for the evening meal in error, but we would be charged for breakfast at £29 (this despite not checking if we'd had cooked or continental breakfast). Considering I emailed an enquiry in advance to ask if breakfast was included and got no reply, you'd presume an "Eats, Drinks, Sleeps" package would include breakfast. As there was nothing in the booking forms to say otherwise, Accounts agreed to refund the cost of breakfast too.

I was disappointed with the experience at the Malmaison whilst there, and am completely deflated with the aftermath. I won't be back any time soon.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We booked our room last minute and treated ourselves to a superior double with king size bed. We were not dissapointed - the room was huge and even came with gorgeous leather loungers. Both the hotel and the room were spotless and the staff we dealt with were very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed a walk around the canals at the rear of the Mailbox complex and found the city centre a short walk in the other direction. Would definately return again 10/10!

Room Tip: Book last minute for great offers
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Our stay at the Malmaison was very average, which is fine, but all their literature highlights how they pride themselves on being just that little bit different. It was no different, accommodation or service wise than any other chain hotel that we stay in.

Check in was lack lustre, with no enthusiam from reception staff. Our room was very clean but reasonably small and nothing special.

We ventured into the bar for a night cap fairly late on the Saturday night, where a waiter promptly took our order but after 30 mins still no drinks. My husband chased them up and they appeared. 15 mins later they appeared again and the waitress was very rude to us seeming to think it was all our fault. A nice bar but just not enough staff on duty.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Malmaison Birmingham is well situated in the same block as Harvey Nichols, the upscale department store. It's about 7 min walk from Birmingham New Street station. Check in was a tad ordinary and uninspiring; the staff do need to cheer up a bit and remember that happy customers pay their wages! However, I had a fantastic, bed, pillows, mattress and pillows. It was gorgeous. I had a great TV, a desk and a fabulous bathroom with plentiful toiletries and lovely towels. I love the quirky features and the cheeky notes on the products. The bar was good; very relaxed with a good wine list and pleasant although rather distant and disinterested staff. Breakfast was awesome - left outside my room in a lovely whicker basket. The croissant were amazing (for the UK!) - probably the best room service breakfast I have had. All in all a great place to stay. The management do need to review staff training and performance management though - I would suggest as a priority.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2011

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor to say I was a little nervous was an understatement! Four of us in total ( myself, my husband and my two children) stayed on the 29th of May for one night enjoying the deal where if you spend 75 pounds on food and drink you get your room for 10 pounds. We checked in with no issues, the reception staff were very friendly and the manager Ben even remembered me from a telephone conversation earlier that week. We went up to the room(210) to find a massive room with two queen size beds, very clean, very spacious and everything we needed for a weekend trip to Birmingham. There was a well stocked mini bar at the usual kind of mini bar prices and a bathroom with the best range of smellies ever.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening And the food was plentiful and very tasty. The drinks prices in my opinion were a little higher than average but there was a massive selection something for everyone.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel and will definitely be returning. An absolute bargain, brilliant hotel and very friendly staff what more can you ask for???

• Stayed: May 2011