“Good value business hotel”

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #22 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Well appointed hotel in the centre of Birmingham, with a large easily accessible car park immediately next door, convenient for all the shopping malls and local bars. Room was a spacious, well furnished with a half decent attempt at quirky interior design. Bathroom was nicely kitted out with an easily accessible, decent flow shower that managed not to leak all over the floor. TV was a good size and easy to navigate around. The wi-fi was also easy to access, the large bed very comfortable and it was quiet. All the staff were very polite, smiley and helpful. The choice provided at breakfast, hot dishes and cold buffet which was included in the £109 price - did the job. The bar was pretty lively in the evening and seemed to be a meeting point for non residents as well. All in all, a great place to stay in a central location - and it was good value for money compared to other nearby hotels.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,399)

Reviewed 20 July 2011

We spent two nights here April 2011. The hotel itself is fairly contemporary and attracts a crowd that are shopping/going out.
The room was a decent size and a bit dusty!
There is a bar that attracts a dressed up student crowd and young professionals - ok for a pre dinner drink. Breakfast is served in a cramped restaurant area. the breakfast was very good...once it arrived. There appeared to be an air of lack of organisation on the Saturday morning - maybe because everyone was in the restaurant at the same time but I suppose this is to be expected of a city centre hotel. Sunday morning breakfast was a bit better although food was not replenished quickly enough. once it has run out leaving less choice. All in all, the food was very good.
The hotel is next door to The Mailbox- upmarket shopping and lots of restaurants at the canal. A nice spot. You don't really need to go any further.
The Bullring, the main shopping centre/Selfridges is a 10 min walk.
There is ample parking either at the Mailbox or across the road in the multi storey. the train station is a 5-10 min walk.
We got a good B&B deal with superbreak .

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Having tried a number of Birmingham hotels whilst staying on business, I decided to try Malmaison this time and had a really positive experience! I arrived late evening after a long days work and having woken at 3am for a 6am flight so was weary on check in. Thankfully that was not an issue! I was welcomed and my check in was smooth and pleasant. The reception area was very quaint with lighting candles and friendly service. My room was spotless and very comfortable and I had a great nights sleep in pleasant surroundings. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and look forward to making it my number one choice for my upcoming trips to Birmingham. The location is really central and I couldn't fault anythnig at this lovely hotel

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Thank mrs.mops
Reviewed 18 July 2011

From the moment we checked in we were made to feel special. The room was beautiful and very clean BUT i would like to make one minor complaint I do think that ONE member of the bar staff could do with some customer service training as he was unhelpful and patronising BUT forgetting that minor point (it was one person, everyone else was so polite and helpful) we had a wonderful time in the Malmaison and are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Stayed here one night on business.

Room :
- In shape and size a standard business room, but well decorated, with good shower and bath
- Comfy bed, high above the city, so no noise in the night

Hotel :
- Location was very good - a few minutes walk from the station and city centre
- We had cocktails in the bar which was good - managed not to have a "business hotel" atmosphere
- Friendly staff lent everyone umbrellas from a stock they had
- Room rate appeared very good value

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2011

A return visit of a 2 Night stay over Friday and Saturday to take in a concert and shopping. Bad roads made our journey time nearly 3 times as long as it should have been. We had a reservation in the brasserie and they kindly held it open for us, so full marks for customer service, they even kept the table while we had a drink at the bar. My first niggle - the bartender turned his nose up at my request for a vodka martini, and seemed to be more concerned with looking at the girls in the bar than he was attending to my order, so he didn't get a tip!

The brasserie seems to be run by teenagers and looked after by a manager not much older, again my waitress turned her nose up when I ordered snails off the menu, but my steak was cooked well, my wife's fish was ok, but not great, and the cheeseboard was fabulous, and a good choice of wines, overall a good meal after a stressful journey.

Fantastic room on the seventh floor, the usual great toiletries and fluffy towels, I would have liked a bathrobe, but hey, that's my preference. A personal gripe - the coffee bags - fiddly and hard work to get a mediocre cup of coffee! there must be, and is, a better way of offering in-room coffee you guys!

Good breakfast (the eggs Benedict is almost a Mal signature dish, and a must have!) with a reasonable cup of coffee. Here's a warning! weekends are busy with parties and hen/stag nights and Sunday breakfast is very busy, the buffet got wrecked , the few wait staff tried hard, but didn't succeed, and this is the time they really need a competent Maitre D' on duty, so my tip - either be early or be patient.

We got back to our room Saturday night after our concert at 10.55, hungry, the full room service menu closes at 11pm, our order was taken without fuss, and delivered in less than 20minutes, even though the bar and brasserie area were both heaving as we came through the hotel, so a pat on the back for the team.

We both had fantastic treatments in the Spa on Saturday, the therapists looked after us very well and I would recommend you try the Spa as well during your stay. However, we used the gym Saturday morning, my wife is a qualified personal trainer and fitness coach, and her reaction to the gym? good choice of equipment, but not very well maintained and the gym wasn't very clean.

We asked for some green tea bags, but got an iphone charger instead, another niggle.

Overall the small niggles were far outweighed by the fantastic hotel, and in the main great staff and service, so very highly recommended and we'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Be very nice to everybody
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Stayed here one night for business- team meal at hotel in private dining room. Local food on menu was good- service was a touch slow, and they didn't know menu too well, but good quality overall. Room was fairly large- dark tones and atmospheric, but was standard amenities etc. Nice touch was the cd player/radio they left on playing classical music when 1st got to room- not that Eco-friendly as must have been on for hours. Bed was great - huge king and large plasma tv. View is out over inner ring road- but that's what you get at other similar Birmingham hotels. Breakfast was very good - cooked to order and buffet service for fruit, juices etc. Up there with some of best breakfasts - and I travel a lot. Free wifi in hotel, great gym too. Odd spa bath though with no bubbles (apparently meant to be??) but massage chairs made up for this. Definitely would consider here again - alongside radisson Blu down the road both are good 4star hotels.

• Stayed: July 2011