“Fantastic lunch, and Peter Crouch is very approachable” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malmaison Birmingham

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #23 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
England
“Fantastic lunch, and Peter Crouch is very approachable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Lovely lunch there with my favourite girl Kamilla who was mesmerised by Stoke City players and all the players and Mark Hughes took time out to speak to all. Now Starbucks have opened their coffee lounge in the basement the place as just got better

Room Tip: Excellent location for experiencing Birmingham
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stephen W, General Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
It is great to hear your experience with us was so exciting and memorable
Look forward to welcoming you back for more celeb spotting!

Stephen Woodhouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Arabic first
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed one night last night as a treat for my husband and I. We were tempted in by the boutique hotel label and the central location. However we should have realised that "boutique" is unlikely in a large modern hotel in the centre of a large city. Our experience was mixed. Great location, good parking and a reasonable first impression on check in. However I agree with the comments about the staff. Service in the bar was slow and almost seemed to be too much trouble for the staff, even to the point of when we first approached the bar the waitress standing next to me turned her back on me leading her colleague to say " oh ok so I'll serve these people then". Which just came across as rude. Also I felt a bit like being on a package holiday with special offers and deals being constantly offered. Again in line with other reviews, the food in the brasserie was ok to something similar to cafe rouge standards but really expensive. I have eaten in some really good restaurants and found £23.95 for a rib eye steak without chips was a lot. It made what was a reasonable meal seem like bad value for money. The menu is misleading be warned it makes you think chips areincluded! The room was ok but no different to most large hotel chains. However no tissues in the tissue box, the shower cap was wet inside it's packet and the boxes and pots were ripped and worn. Small things but it just gives the impression of lack of care. Also we were right opposite the lifts and in hindsight should have asked to change at the start especially when woken twice in the early hours by 2 inconsiderate noisy groups of girls. We ordered a newspaper but it never appeared. On a positive note breakfast was lovely although it was difficult to chat over the sound of the hoovering. Also really nice coffee. Would we stay again? Probably because of the location and the room was comfortable and next time I would know what to expect. However I would go outside of the hotel for a drink and meal.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Stephen W, General Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Tracey,
We appreciate your valuable feedback
All your points will be reviewed to ensure our guests have a great experience in all departments of the hotel. We never wish to mislead our guest so apologises you felt this with the menu.
Pleased to read you would return, we would love to welcome you back to Mal Birmingham for us to demonstrate the improvements we continuously make.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

It started with trying to decide where to park - I have to be honest I hadn't checked things out beforehand, so rather than turning left then immediately right down the hill to the underground car park, I turned left and carried on, and ended up having to go round again.

Once I got there it took some time to check in, which was explained to be as the result of the fact that I was receiving an upgrade. I asked why, but didn't get any explanation. I had been rather irritated that this kafuffle was making me later (I was in a hurry with an evening event to attend), but went with it anyway. I was astounded by the size of the room I ended up with. I could have had a party in there. It contained two king-sized beds separated by an optional roll-down privacy blind. It was also big enough to have a largish couch (though that's not clear in the picture - which I have uploaded).

One thing I must say was that the bed in this room (room 509 in case you want to know) was absolutely FANTASTIC and I got a better night's sleep than sleeping at home. I had been on my feet all day at a conference at the ICC so my lower back was particularly painful and stiff - the following morning I woke up fresh as a daisy.

I terms of its location, this hotel is great. The Mailbox itself is an interesting venue, and you are in really easy walking distance of the council buildings, museum and art gallery, and at the moment - the Christmas market.

On the other hand I would have to disagree with other reviewers that the staff were rude. I think they were aiming be very efficient, which meant that they came over as dismissive, but the room was very clean and so on balance I have to give it 4 out of 5. I would just like to point out that I am irritated that things like the back of the TV remote are missing or broken and don't get replaced Malmaison - you're better than this.

Will I go back? If I can stay in room 509 again (and they fix the TV remote) - very possibly!

Dear Bernie,
Our deluxe double double bedrooms are amazing and pleased this exceeded your expectation. The hotel is perfectly located in the city and once you have managed to park you walk and enjoy the sights,
In regards to the staff this is great feedback for us to understand our guests thoughts and views.
See you soon, 509 is ready to be assigned to you with a remote that’s works
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stay one was decent, issues with my room booking but after 20 mins at reception I got a room, believe It was an upgrade.
This stay ...very disappointing. Room was ok but the customer service was dreadful. My room seemed to be semi prepared and trying to obtain basic shampoo and soap from reception was a farce. This morning dredged up the whole sorry affair with a pretty poor attitude from the receptionist .
Shame as thought I'd found a base in Birmingham. At this rate think it won't be long until they get dropped another star

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Stephen W, General Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Lorna,
Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed to read of your experience with us at Malmaison Birmingham, this is not the service or standard we look to provide our valuable guests.
Continuous training is present with the 'Mal team' so a big focus will be on the areas mentioned.
Hope you choose to visit us again so we can demonstrate the great service we do continuously offer.
Wishaw, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed 2 nights on business and found a range from excellence to awfulness.

The room was lovely to look at - very impressed on arrival. But it's not so big on comfort. I am not a tall person and the chairs in the room were obviously tried and tested on someone taller than me - the seats themselves were slightly hard so caught the back of my legs because I wasn't able to put my feet on the floor. The bed was the hardest ever - really didn't sleep well on the first night. I ordered room service and when it came part of the starter was missing and I had white wine when I had ordered red. These issues were rectified quickly.

Breakfast was pretty good but a couple of glitches with this - the staff ranged from insolent to disinterested. And the fruit was cut in huge bits - a little more delicate would have been good. Smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, toast, coffee all lovely.

2nd night decided to go to the Brasserie for dinner and first of all, only 3 tables with customers, yet I sat a while waiting for someone to take my order. The rest of the experience was, however, fab, and the food was excellent.

I am currently on the 2nd night, back in my room and would you believe that my dinner tray from the previous night's room service is still lying outside my door! not impressed.

On my final positive note, due to the firmness of the bed I left a note explaining and asking if possible could they leave me a 2nd duvet so I could sleep with one underneath me, never thinking for a minute it would happen. Returned from my conference today and there it was - well done housekeeping!! You also provided the additional coffee and milk that I asked for on the in-room tea tray.

This would be a fab place rather than average if you work on the problem areas.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Stephen W, General Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Janet,
Thank you for you taking the time to write a review

Your feedback is so valuable to us, highlighting the departments we need to focus on to ensure we provide that ‘fab’ experience all our guest should receive when visiting Malmaison Birmingham.
Pleased you enjoyed breakfast and dinner minus the few recommendations and housekeeping provided you with those extra little touches you needed after a long day.
An investigation has been carried out on the issues raised and will be monitored over the coming months.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and I am confident you will notice the improvements.

Kind regards
aberdeen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I was attending a 3 day conference at ICC and thought staying at malmaison would be a pleasant experience. To be honest it wasn't terrible but I did find the staff rude and unhelpful. When I checked I was not directed to the lifts and had to ask twice. I was joining 2 colleagues for dinner and we where refused entry to the not very busy restaurant for 45 minute. This was handeled in a very abrupt manner. Food was OK not great. It is in the malmaison style very dark and mirrors everywhere not easy to get your bearings. Would not chose to stay again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your time to post your recent review

I would like to sincerely apologise for the standard of service you received during your visit with Malmaison Birmingham. Please be assured the issues have been raised with the relevant Managers to ensure this stays an isolated experience.
Your feedback enables us to focus on the key required areas; I do hope you choose to visit us again so we can demonstrate the great Mal service we do offer.

Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Booked in for a night whilst in town to meet friends. Check in was very easy and room was available straight away.

The room itself was clearly past it's best with questionable stains on the carpets and peeling paint and discoloured grout in the bathroom. The shower was blocked and didn't drain but this can happen to even a new shower and wasn't really an issue.

That said the bed was very comfy and these minor points didn't detract from a lovely stay. Good value for money too. Customer service was pretty good in the bar and reception and I would probably stay here again but hopefully after a refurb.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Stephen W, General Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your review and I am pleased you had a lovely stay with us

We do continuously monitor and maintain the main areas of the hotel, so these key points you have highlighted will be a focus moving forward.
Please visit our website for updates on the hotels, our London Malmaison has just had a very successful full refurbishment.

Hope to see you soon