“Once was enough”

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #25 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Where can I start with this review? Firstly it took us half an hour driving round Birmingham and two sat navs and we still couldn't find the hotel. A taxi driver we used later summed it up by saying 'if you don't know Birmingham city centre very well, its a real mission to find this hotel by road'...how true....We eventually arrived, and parked at the adjacent Mailbox car park (which if you don't know is £19 for 24 hours). On entering the hotel the first things that we noticed were the Starbucks franchise to the left and the incredible noise coming from the Mezzanine just at the top of the stairs to the right (although I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say this could have been Christmas revellers....) and also how dark the reception area was. We checked in and then tried to find our 6th floor room, as previous reviewers have said this isn't easy as room numbers are very small on the dark doors, if you're short sighted forget it!!! I noticed trays of food from room service on the floor outside adjacent rooms which were still there when we left some time later.....not good. Our room at first seemed quite pleasant, and certainly cosy with the (numerous) lamps lit, I realised later it was because the one very small window is totally inadequate to let in any natural light and also it doesn't open. Also the storage space seems odd, no bedside drawers, some shelving at the side of the fridge, 2 drawers next to it, or shelves in the wardrobe.....hmm.....also we had a lot of missing coathangers, the wire clips were on the rail but there were only four coathangers for two of us for a two night stay, although when I asked housekeeping they did come with two more......With the room though you have two choices, either you swelter as the room gets very hot, or you put on the air con to cool it down and then get very cold.....Some of the furniture was looking a little tired, black in a hotel room which gets a lot of use seems an odd choice as it chips at the edges....also the carpet was a little stained and there was a stain on the throw on the bed....That said the room was not a bad size and the bathroom was ok, it was just SO dark....to apply make up I had to sit on the bed and look upwards to the ceiling spotlights......We had a two night stay here, and by the time we left quite honestly I was desperate for daylight and fresh air....The staff were very pleasant though, although they didn't tell us until we enquired that we could get 15% off the carparking charges. We didn't have breakfast £13.95 for a continental is crazy!!! We had been emailed by the hotel prior to our arrival to say we could request an upgrade and that we would be told on arrival if it were available, no one mentioned it on check in at all, so it was either not available or forgotten about, who knows???? All in all, unless this hotel is on a real 'deal' I wouldn't consider it again, and even if it was really cheap Id think twice, I like some light and fresh air and there was no chance of either at Malmaison, sorry management, but some people find it very important!!!

Room Tip: no idea, the windows all look the same size, non open by the look and our 'view' was another...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Stephen W, General Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review
I would firstly like express the importance we take our guest feedback as it allows us to ensure we provide our guests with a positive stay. I am disappointed to read certain points of your experience that you encountered with us as we want our guests to have a pleasant stay and look forward to their next visit to Mal.We appreciate each individual expectation and requirements which we aim to meet.
Please be assured your points will be reviewed and addressed to improve our guest experience where possible.
Hope we can welcome you back in the near future
Kind Regards
Stephen Woodhouse

Write a ReviewReviews (2,438)

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel as it was close to the city centre and we could walk to the function we were attending. The hotel was very busy with very loud music coming from the bar area, this music was constant!
The room was fairly clean, but the corridors leading to the rooms were dirty with empty beer/ wine bottles gathered up waiting to be collected?? We complained about how untidy the corridors were 3/4 times, with a clean up finally happening 4 hours later! The staff were very unhelpful and had an uncaring attitude. We complained about the 1 night stay and managed to get £30 off the bill... Still no real apology though. We won't be going back there in a hurry!!!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Lee B
Stephen W, General Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Lee,

Please can you send your contact details to dgm.birmingham@malmaison.com and we will contact you personally
Regards

Reviewed 21 December 2013

There are some pithy reviews on here so wasn't quite sure what to expect. It is a city centre hotel next to the Mailbox shopping centre (I hate shopping and wouldn't wear a 'label' let alone part with my cash for one) and in front of a car park, overlooking a busy road. So what? Well, it was absolutely fine, even on a busy night slap bang in the middle of the party season. Efficient reception, huge and well appointed room ( I remembered my toothbrush), no sound transfer from adjoining rooms (increasingly rare these says), efficient city bar with free nibbles, and an excellent breakfast cooked to order, with quality muesli's etc. Acid test - would I go back (even though I really can't gel with Birmingham!) - YES!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Good Evening,
Thank you for your time to leave a review.
It is a pleasure to read of your recent stay with us and that we provided you the service and standard that made your stay so memorable. Our aim is so make every guest feel special and received the experience they deserve.
Very much look forward to seeing you in the future and you can have another of our fantastic ‘Mal’ breakfasts.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Hi All

I booked a stay with my mum for her birthday on the 29/11/2013 the room was nice and clean. Breakfast was lovely. HOWEVER we were charged a £2.50 at our door without receipt for a standard hotel toothbrush it's absolutely ridiculous. This matter was going to be investigated when we left.

I found it bizarre that they charged us cash at the door and didn't add it to our room bill instead.

Another issue is upgrades, never in all my many stays at the hotel have I ever received a complimentary upgrade or any nice amenities for the occasion we are staying for.

I had got a deal this stay and when I asked for an upgrade they laughed at me cause I had booked a package deal. No matter what the deal hotels should try to accommodate. Even when I had booked a £320 suite I received the same snooty treatment with no extras.

The Malmaison group could learn a thing or two from the Mandarin Oriental and The Mayfair in London. They know how to cater for their guests and throw in extras no matter who the clientele is.

Not impressed. Which is a shame the hotel group has true potential.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Farah M,
Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to read your room and breakfast was positive. I do wish to apologise for the reaction you received for your upgrade, this of course is not the attitude or response we deliver. It will be followed up to ensure all our guests feel valued.
Your constructive comments have been very worthwhile and help us ensure the standards are restored.
Hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We haven't been to the Malmaison for awhile and we usually visit for lunch or dinner but this time we were just meeting friends for a pre-Christmas drink and a catchup. We were only meant to stay for an hour but the atmosphere was great, the drinks were good and reasonably priced so we ended up staying for most of the night! Very pleased they've replaced the shabby threadbare carpet on the stairs - was dangerous in heals! Will definitely go again!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Stephen W, General Manager at Malmaison Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Good Evening,
Thank you for your positive post.
Our Mal bar offers not only an amazing variety of drinks and personal service it provides one of the best atmospheres to just sit, drink and enjoy. Pleased you had this experience.
See you very soon for another late night!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Standard Malmaison offering but with below average service compared to Leeds and Manchester. As others have noted the check in service is slow and overall the place is starting to look a little tired. Most of the shops in the Mailbox are currently closed so if you are looking for a shopping weekend I would look elsewhere. Only worth staying if you can get a good deal sub £100.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Good Evening,
Apologies for the service you received, this is not at all the standard we provided and disappointed your experienced this during your visit. We do on a continuous basis look at the condition of the hotel so be assured your points have been highlighted.
Mailbox is having a redesign and will reopen in 2015, very exciting!
Hope you choose to visit in the future and we can provide you the great stay you deserve
Regards

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I recently organsied a business lunch for small number of clients. Priority was to find a private dining area in good quality hotel and Malmaison ticked a lot of boxes being centrally located both in terms of the UK and Birmingham. leading up to the event, I received good and relatively quick responses to any queries that we had from Sharon Rai and on the day itself, we received outstading service from the staff both in the lounge and bar area and especially during the meal itself. Well done to al concerned and would have no hesitation in recomending the hotel for a similar type of event.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Simon,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so pleased to read your event was a success and Malmaison Birmingham provided all the right products and services to ensure it was smooth process during booking and on the day.
You have Sharon’s contact details to make any future bookings
Regards Stephen Woodhouse